PDA

View Full Version : TV --> speakers

Bulldog
09-16-2005, 10:28 PM
I bought a home theater system (DVD player + 6 speakers). I hooked it up, and the speakers connect to the DVD player, which connects to the TV (video 3). So of course the speakers all work when playing a DVD, but not with the cable TV. Do I need another piece of hardware or some different connection configuration?

edfurlong
09-16-2005, 10:35 PM
You need a receiver.

benfranklin
09-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Option 1: It sounds like your "DVD player" has a built in amp. Are there things like volume and balance controls on the DVD player? If so, see if there are audio out jacks on the TV and audio in jacks on the DVD, and connect them.

Option 2: Get a receiver (combination power amp, radio tuner, etc.) Plug the speakers, the DVD player, the cable box, and the TV into the receiver (RTFM*) and everything will run through it.

*RTFM = read the freakin' manual

Maulik
09-16-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bought a home theater system (DVD player + 6 speakers). I hooked it up, and the speakers connect to the DVD player, which connects to the TV (video 3). So of course the speakers all work when playing a DVD, but not with the cable TV. Do I need another piece of hardware or some different connection configuration?

[/ QUOTE ]

box configuations are usually worthless

wonderwes
09-17-2005, 03:04 AM
How much are you willing to spend on a stereo receiver? You could hook all your different devices and have it all run into the receiver which would feen into the TV. It sounds like you have plenty of hardware to make yourself a neat system by just adding one thing.

Everything is better in stereo.