PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Questions

JaBlue
09-16-2005, 09:12 PM
I want to get a motorcycle. I would buy it used and don't need it to go much faster than 80.

How much will it cost me and what other than the bike do I need? Is there any special maintenance involved? Do I need a special license or anything?

Any info would be nice, so if you know something about bikes that a guy like me who doesn't know anything about them doesn't know, please share.

Brainwalter
09-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Where do you live?

PS I want one too.

mostsmooth
09-16-2005, 09:16 PM
cost depends on what you buy
you will almost certainly need to get a motorcycle endorsement on your license.
you might need a helmet, and you should wear one regardless.
start small
push right bar to turn right, pus hthe left bar to turn left

JaBlue
09-16-2005, 09:29 PM
I live in the bay area and I'd really like to ride around Woodside, which is a nice mountain town with bending roads and beautiful scenery. There is one really nice road that goes to the beach and along the coastline too.

rusty JEDI
09-17-2005, 02:22 AM
Almost any bike is going to get you over 80
You will need a special license
If you want to stay alive then lessons are a must

Maintenance
Bikes are expensive. Buy a manual and do the work yourself. The chain will need to be cleaned and lubed regularly.

Minimum gear
Helmet - minimum $200, but it is your head we're talking about so spend more
Leather gloves
sturdy jacket (jean at the bare minimum, but i wont ride in anything without armour)
Boots - anything that gets above your ankle will do

Have fun...They're a blast

rJ

09-17-2005, 03:45 AM
I'm sort of a n00b to motorcycling too. A few years ago, I took a motorcycle safety course(highly suggested if you have no riding experience), bought a good helmet, jackets, gloves and boots. I ended up purchasing a Honda 750 Nighthawk with about 8500 miles on it for about $3500. Maybe a little big for a beginner my size(I weigh a little under 150) but I love it. I have liability insurance for about $100 a year. And that's with a wreck on my record. I can do most of the maintenance myself, but I let a mechanic work on the brakes.

Oh yeah, and I had a good wreck once where I went flying off my bike like superman and kind of blacked out for a second I guess because I came to sliding across the pavement with the chin of my helmet scraping. I lifted my chin up as I finished the slide to keep from scratching up my wxpensive helmet too much. My jacket, gloves and boots did their job but I was wearing bluejeans and my knees suffered horribly for it. Now I wear pants with padded knees.

rusty JEDI
09-17-2005, 03:47 PM
That reminds me. Do yourself a favour and start on a 500 or less. Also odds are you're going to crash your first bike so dont be afraid to buy something not so pretty. Save the shiny one for when you're more competent.

rJ

chuddo
09-17-2005, 03:54 PM
http://mc.magasi.net/grafikk/Enfield-Bullet500-1990m.jpg

royal enfield bullet.

MrTrik
09-17-2005, 07:41 PM
In our area you can get in a very inexpensive program where they teach you safety and you ride courses that are set up exactly like the one's they use in the driving test for your endorsement. You even use their bikes if you don't have one yet or bought one bigger than you'd want to test with. I think it's a 6 hour course over a month or so and costs something in the range of $110 last time I checked.

I also heard the course we have now actually tests you on the last day and if you fail you can re-take it for a minimal fee as many times as needed.

Edge34
09-17-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In our area you can get in a very inexpensive program where they teach you safety and you ride courses that are set up exactly like the one's they use in the driving test for your endorsement. You even use their bikes if you don't have one yet or bought one bigger than you'd want to test with. I think it's a 6 hour course over a month or so and costs something in the range of $110 last time I checked.

I also heard the course we have now actually tests you on the last day and if you fail you can re-take it for a minimal fee as many times as needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just took this class. Its like $115 and its not over the course of a month, its over the course of a weekend, and they provide the bikes, so you don't have to worry about dropping your new Harley. You can take Thursday or Friday for the classroom session, which goes over the manual and teaches you some of the techniques you'll need to remember on the road, then on Saturday and Sunday, you're out on the course riding, and if you pass, you go down to the license branch and get your endorsement.

I took mine at DCTC, where are you MrTrik?

SomethingClever
09-17-2005, 08:00 PM
As others have mentioned, look for a solid used bike that starts and runs reliably for your first model.

My first bike was a 1981 Yamaha Maxim 550 which I bought for $800. It was plenty fast and fun for a first bike.

You need to pass a drive test to get your motorcycle endorsement, but most states will waive this if you pass the safety course. Take the course unless you have a great friend with a cheap bike that they are willing to teach you on. You can usually get a motorcycle "permit" by just passing the knowledge test.

As others have said... helmet, thick pants, solid shoes.

I like to wear T-shirts when it's hot out, but I know I shouldn't....

oddjob
09-17-2005, 08:08 PM
look into getting a 70s honda CB or a BMW. between $1-4k. both are very good motorcycles. take the motorcycle safety course.

also, make sure you get a helmet that fits good. don't skimp on the helmet. the better the fit, the more likely you will wear it (if your state doesn't have helmet laws.

oddjob
09-17-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of motorcycle turns right when you push the right bar?

Edge34
09-17-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of motorcycle turns right when you push the right bar?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of them. Ever ridden?

The thing is, while you CAN turn the "normal" way, if you push down on the right handlebar, you turn right, and vice versa.

willie
09-17-2005, 08:37 PM
yeah they all do, it's called countersteering

it's more prominent at average speeds- in a parking lot it's more like a bicycle though.

take the course, get the gear- and freakin wear it. regardless of how hot is it out- it's waaaay more comfortable than roadrash.

new enough.com (http://www.newenough.com)

this place carries overstocked stuff and some used stuff as well

they got me covered early relatively cheap, got a jacket for 150, gloves for 75ishhh, boots for around 100. saved me a lot of money and kept me protected at the same time.

happy motoring

Ray Zee
09-17-2005, 11:25 PM
i got over 200,000 miles on the things on road and off. you will

fall over some times
hit things hard some times
find people wont see you and cut you off
have lots of fun in the sun
hate the rain
learn alot about bikes
bleed once in awhile
increase you chance of dying greatly
love your bike

older bikes always have problems and arent worth getting too far from home with them.

Mat Sklansky
09-20-2005, 03:05 AM
The first time I was ever on a motorcycle, it was yours. I don't know if you remember.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for good rides in the vegas area aside from redrock and valley of fire?

The Goober
09-20-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
look into getting a 70s honda CB or a BMW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to get my new (to me) 73 cb350 twin up and running.

http://www.bikez.com/bike/9519/index.jpg
(not mine, but looks just like it)

bought it for $400, will probably put less than $20 worth of parts into it when its all said and done. Not a bike I'd recommend, though, unless you enjoy working on it as well as riding it (which I do). This is my first bike and I know that I will appreciate her all the more once she finally runs right. Not really enough power for the highway, but that's just fine with me.

Mat Sklansky
09-20-2005, 04:26 AM
I just recently got my 2nd motorcycle after a ten year break. When shopping, I found this site informative: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school.htm

Ray Zee
09-20-2005, 11:18 PM
yea i remember. david took you on my bike in reno back in the 80's when you were a little snot nosed kid. i should have smacked you before you grew up and got bigger than me. i lost my chance. now adays i am down to two bikes. a yamaha 350 off road and a harley ive had for 12 years.

a good ride is up in utah around panguitch. you might have to haul the bike up there but its really nice around there.

icepick
09-20-2005, 11:56 PM
You're thinking of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (http://www.msf-usa.org/).

I took thier course this spring, and Hennipin Tech. Very highly recommended.