PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for forum improvement

Jman28
09-16-2005, 09:08 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but it deserves its own.

I had just said that I liked the way things were going here, and right now, 7 of the top 10 posts are OT and LC. I'm a little worried that the labelling of these has encouraged people to post more OT stuff.

But anyways, anyone have any ideas for things that would be super-educational for everyone?

I'd like anything focusing on reads or any kind of in depth hand analysis/play analysis. But yeah, throw some ideas out here. I know curtains said he likes what MTT is doing. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3388223&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1). Anyone got something?

mosdef
09-16-2005, 09:20 PM
we have these. they're Unarmed's posts.

bones
09-16-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we have these. they're Unarmed's posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'm somewhat disappointed that almost all of the 22-55 hands that get posted are push/call bubble hands.

I'm not exactly sure how to improve this. Maybe I'll start posting a few hands a day to try to get some post-flop discussion going.

I definitely like the panel discussion idea a lot.

curtains
09-16-2005, 09:26 PM
I think we need more photos of half naked women. I can't find them anywhere else online and have begun to rely on this forum for them.

Jman28
09-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Since the forum sometimes gets clogged with uninteresting hand posts, what about a gimmick account called GTB (good thread bumper) who's only job would be to bump interesting threads that make their way too far down the list?

Seth Money
09-16-2005, 09:28 PM
JMan,

I am all for the improving of the site and will be posting more hands and theory questions of the SnG. I have to agree that there are a lot of OT posts and forgive me if I opened up the Pandora's box of them with my Fat Ass Challenge.

Seth

curtains
09-16-2005, 09:29 PM
We should have a seperate forum for all star posts, (of which there will maybe be one every hour or so) that can only get promoted by a select few chosen ones.

Jman28
09-16-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
forgive me if I opened up the Pandora's box of them with my Fat Ass Challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

s'all good.

bones
09-16-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think we need more photos of half naked women.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://deanhatescoffee.home.comcast.net/misc/girls_heidi-klum_bikini.jpg
"Curtains, I don't think you're weak-tight. Come over here and push me pre-flop."

Jman28
09-16-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

We should have a seperate forum for all star posts, (of which there will maybe be one every hour or so) that can only get promoted by a select few chosen ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea but don't see how it would be possible. They wouldn't open a whole new forum for us.

P.S. - Why do all your posts start a line lower than everyone elses? Do you hit enter every time?

curtains
09-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Hmmm...Im not sure, maybe I do /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Newt_Buggs
09-16-2005, 09:54 PM
I have about 964878945610056 tough $215 hands that I could start posting up

valenzuela
09-16-2005, 09:59 PM
I think the OT before OT posts have made ppl do more OT posts.
I liked it better the old way, buy-in posted on the post or not posted at all...for instance I see a thread the begins...$5..aces??? and i dont even look at it , i also have the same feeling with some poker stars buy-ins.( $27, wtf!! $27!!!grrr)

Im personally against labels before posts.

stanzee
09-16-2005, 10:07 PM
These days i only like OT posts. Jsut never seem to learn anything off the "did i play my AK right?" or the "should i have called with JJ" posts.

The OT posts are a nice form of entertainment when i need a break between sets.

curtains
09-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah post your stupid hands man!!!!!!!!!!!!! I promise to respond and give you sagely advice

skipperbob
09-16-2005, 10:17 PM
I think my work here is Done /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lorinda
09-16-2005, 10:45 PM
If someone acted like that in this forum, I would leave.

I think that idea is one of the worst I've ever seen, and am very disappointed that a moderator would act in that manner.

I certainly won't be visiting MTT anytime soon if that's a genuine post.

If I want to post hands, I'll post them, I don't want a panel of experts telling me what is and isn't appropriate.

I want to break something.

Lori

curtains
09-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I think you are confused what the idea is? I think they choose a hand each week and then a panel of experts gives their opinion on the hand. I don't see how anyone could possibly take something negative away from that? It's just an added cool feature on top of everything.

lorinda
09-16-2005, 10:50 PM
The idea as you state it would be fine, although pointless, why not just post the hands and read the responses, then we can comment on all the interesting hands.

[ QUOTE ]
I want to filter out those types of hands that are often posted here and hopefully people who have been around awhile can help with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a disgrace however. There will always be noobs, and there will always be noob questions that we've seen before.

If I'm still misunderstanding then fine, but it seems to me that he's trying to discourage people from posting.

Lori

valenzuela
09-16-2005, 10:51 PM
What is exactly his idea??? Its not like hes not letting other ppl post hand is he?

lorinda
09-16-2005, 10:59 PM
He chooses some people to look at hands that he decides whether they are interesting or not.

That means that instead of every hand being posted that is interesting, only hands that the moderator finds interesting will be posted, and other people will be told that their hand is not interesting enough.

Those people could still post those hands, but having been told by whoever this guy is that they are not interesting, will probably post them on a forum that actually wants to read them.

Lori

Maulik
09-16-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the OT before OT posts have made ppl do more OT posts.
I liked it better the old way, buy-in posted on the post or not posted at all...for instance I see a thread the begins...$5..aces??? and i dont even look at it , i also have the same feeling with some poker stars buy-ins.( $27, wtf!! $27!!!grrr)

Im personally against labels before posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are correct. the pokerstars posts are still sngs, young man. we don't need to have lots of OT discussion, hopefully that dies out as the STTHU threads are.

valenzuela
09-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Anyway why dont we make over 2500 posts...wait he doesnt have 2500 posts...

lorinda
09-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Having a 25 post requirement to enter KotZ was bad enough, I don't think they know what they're letting themselves in for making it 500......

Lori

valenzuela
09-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Intresting stuff...well Im a Pooh-bah so I wont be discriminated, my position on the subject is that if there is a nice overlay on the tourney post number discrimation is fine, I dunno if the Kotz thing had an overlay or not.(for instance a freeroll or a bounty and 10 t-shirts)

microbet
09-16-2005, 11:23 PM
I don't particularly think it is a good idea because I'd rather judge for myself who the experts are, but wouldn't much care if it didn't interfere with the normal operation of the forum.

However, if it pisses Lorinda off, and she might leave, it is a really terrible idea.

lorinda
09-16-2005, 11:24 PM
However, if it pisses Lorinda off, and she might leave, it is a really terrible idea.

Ignore anything I say that sounds like a threat, I've been promising to leave this place on and off for years, and reached a compromise by not posting in NLSS.

Lori

durron597
09-16-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If someone acted like that in this forum, I would leave.

I think that idea is one of the worst I've ever seen, and am very disappointed that a moderator would act in that manner.

I certainly won't be visiting MTT anytime soon if that's a genuine post.

If I want to post hands, I'll post them, I don't want a panel of experts telling me what is and isn't appropriate.

I want to break something.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I agree with lorinda; my opinion is not as extreme as this, but I agree in principle.

45suited
09-17-2005, 12:22 AM
We're not exactly splitting the atom here.

If you find a post interesting, respond to it. If not, ignore it. If you want to improve the forum, post some hands, respond to some posts.

One thing that Jman did which I found extremely interesting was when he posted an entire HH. Perhaps some more of this would be useful?

One more thing: I know that people like to put down the usefulness of push / fold posts, but often there is disagreement among even the top players as to the correct play. Some push / fold posts are quite simple, others generate good discussion.

curtains
09-17-2005, 02:06 AM
push/fold posts may be the most important posts for the large majority of sit and go players as these decisions come up frequently and are of extreme importance to master.

johnnybeef
09-17-2005, 04:46 AM
This hole thread makes me want to vomit.....

There are way too many posters here who are forgetting what this GAME is all about. I have soo many things that I want to say right now, but my thoughts just aren't very organized. As such, I'll make a few general statements.

There have been several comments within this thread that seem like several members would like to turn this place into a dictatorship. Restricting free speach (i.e. monitoring hands) is exactly the way a tyrant controls the masses. He does this because it limits peoples ability to communicate which limits peoples ability to improve. If you have't figured out by now why this is a bad idea, I invite you to get the [censored] out of my forum.

have a nice day,
Johnny

lacky
09-17-2005, 08:55 AM
personally I'm in favor of anything that gets lori all fired up. She's my favorite poster to read when she's all fired up about something, and it's not even close /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve