PDA

View Full Version : PP $11. 2nd HU hand.

playtitleist
09-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Villain knocked out the #3 guy by going All-in with 22 two hands prior. I have this guy on any two.

Seat 1: HERO (3310)
Seat 3: wsopchamp052 (4690)
HERO posts small blind (100)
wsopchamp052 posts big blind (200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ Ts, 7h ]
HERO raises (400) to 500
wsopchamp052 raises (600) to 800
HERO ??

BTW - The guy's name was only slightly intimidating.

jwesty5
09-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Call the $300 See what the flop brings and procede from there. I hope you didn't fold. You don't have enough of a hand to push him in here IMHO.

DawnToDusk
09-16-2005, 08:00 PM
I disagree. You raised in an attempt to steal the pot right there. You obviously didn't want to see the flop with your holding. You said "I have a hand" with your bet and then he raised you saying "I have a better hand." So be it, I am gonna fold in this position. You still have plenty of chips after folding. Whats worse is if you call you will be OOP. I think with this hand if you were on the button it would be a call and you would take it from there, hoping you could outplay him on the flop. But it just isn't adding up for you.

As for his name, I see people with names similar and they just aren't that great. Plus, if he really was "WSOP champion" material, why would he be playing a $10+1? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

playtitleist
09-16-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You raised in an attempt to steal the pot right there.

[/ QUOTE ]
a) Worth the steal attempt with these blinds?

[ QUOTE ]
Whats worse is if you call you will be OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]
b) What if this were not a steal attempt and a set up for a sort of Stop-N-Go.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, if he really was "WSOP champion" material, why would he be advertising it while playing a $10+1? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

jwesty5
09-16-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. You raised in an attempt to steal the pot right there. You obviously didn't want to see the flop with your holding. You said "I have a hand" with your bet and then he raised you saying "I have a better hand." So be it, I am gonna fold in this position. You still have plenty of chips after folding. Whats worse is if you call you will be OOP. I think with this hand if you were on the button it would be a call and you would take it from there, hoping you could outplay him on the flop. But it just isn't adding up for you.

As for his name, I see people with names similar and they just aren't that great. Plus, if he really was "WSOP champion" material, why would he be playing a $10+1? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your going to fold for $300 when the pots $1300 getting 4.3 to 1?? If he flipped over aces your almost getting the right odds to call.

Heads up your raise says "I might have a hand but I might just be trying to steal the pot" his raise probably says he has a better hand but the PO are so large now you have to at least call and see what the flop brings.

Folding here means you are going to get run over every time heads up.

DawnToDusk
09-16-2005, 08:28 PM
I think that steal attempts at any blinds when the match is heads up is important. But you got to really put it in persepective and you got to be smart about it. Lets try to put it in perspective.

If you fold you SB everytime except with premium holdings your opponent will start to see a betting pattern. Even your most dumbstruck opponents will realize that you are folding your SB everytime unless you have a premium hand. In which case, even the most passive opponents will start rasing you. But this also lets your opponent get away from their hand easily when you raise. Cuse obviously since you fold your SB everytime, your raise has to indicate strength.

If you are raising out of the small blind you must have some objective for your raise. Clearly you must mix up your SB plays with calls and raises, but you must fold occasionally. The fold shows your opponent your not playing with trash everytime. Now with weaker speculative hands like 86s, 97s, and stuff that, if you hit the flop hard could win you a big pot, I am probably calling more often than raising. You must mix it up with about 80% calls and 20% raises with these hands. Also you are getting 3/1 odds on your call with your speculative hand. Agian if you start showing down hands after you just call out of the SB and the villian knows they are weak speculative hands, he/she should raise you when you just call. With stronger hands I don't mind calls so much and I am probably raising with my stronger hands 75% of the time and calling the other 25%. If your opponent is known to be a super-aggressive player, I might even raise less with the intent of them raising my SB and coming over the top. Yet in HU play, position is very important. Although you have a strong hand in the SB, you don't nessicarily want a call. Because you are at a disadvantage if you are called, being you will be OOP, I would suggest raising 3-4.5BB in the SB. Hopefully the increased raise here will be more likely to move your opponent off your hand and win the pot right away.

DawnToDusk
09-16-2005, 08:33 PM
You are being offered great odds, but I think we also have to ask ourselves what are we really trying to hit on the flop for 4.3-to-1 odds?

Your ten could be shared easily by the villian and he could have a PP such as 88s or 99s, but his raise seems lil weak for those. If you know your opponent for checking on the flop after missing, then I can see a case for calling, but if he follows up with continuation bets then maybe not. Yet at the same time time it would be a good oppurtunity for a check-raise if your opponent makes a lot of continuation bets. I think in this case it depends a lot on the opponent and the blinds are nessicarily to large yet either.

xJMPx
09-16-2005, 08:43 PM
I think you have to call here. Not only are you getting odds to play any two (which is what ur playing), but your are also setting the tone of how this heads up match will go.

If you fold here your opponent is going to get cocky and feel he can push you off your preflop raises. If this is the case, you're going to have to be ready to go all the way with the next hand you want to raise.

Heads up there is nothing better than playing an opponent that folds way too much.