PDA

View Full Version : what to do against a massive overbet, paradise 200$ tourney

SheepCookers
09-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Last night playing in 200$ Masters on Paradise ... nice tourney 2500 to start, 30 min blinds, some overlay, so nice and slow ... lots of bad play since a lot of people qualify through satelites and paradise doesn't let you unregister

I just took a decent size pot with AA (didn't show) on the TT flop with the villian calling large raise preflop and giving it up on the flop with a half pot size bet.

Blinds are 15/30 and both of us have a little over 6K in hips. Average right now is at 3K. Still a long way too go in the tourney.

He min raises from cut off, I call in SB with 98o. BB folds. Flop comes in 986. He likes to bet so I quite sure I am going to see a continuation/steal bet and want to check raise. He bets 1K into a 150 pot. I was rather suprised by the bet, now I am thinking maybe it was a typo. But back them I was just what the hell was that.

So I decided I didn't want to gamble too much at this point since I had a lot of chips and time. I got moved soon after that so I didn't get a read on if he likes to overbet with nuts or mediocre hands, but this hand is still bugging me.

If I am going to play 98o what kind of flop do I want to get all my money in besides the nuts.

Was I too defensive? He might have been betting high pair, pissed with himself because of only min raising preflop. Or he could have flopped a set and didn't want to give me a straight draw and was afraid of me taking away this pot from him.

Can I get some opinions here?

A_C_Slater
09-16-2005, 07:42 PM
It looks like an overpair that he is horrified of getting sucked out on. I would reraise or even lead the flop and hope he reraises.

ilikeaces
09-16-2005, 07:46 PM
raise

SheepCookers
09-16-2005, 07:50 PM
any raise I am playing for all my chips or giving him correct odds if he does have an overpair

do I move in then since if he does have an overpair he has 5 outs right now and I am not sure I could fold if the bottom pairs and I already put half my chips into the pot

adanthar
09-16-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
any raise I am playing for all my chips or giving him correct odds if he does have an overpair

do I move in then since if he does have an overpair he has 5 outs right now

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a 3:1 edge over an overpair, push. Though I suspect he has something dumber like 87, but you're still a favorite.

SheepCookers
09-16-2005, 08:00 PM
besides a typo on his part which I didn't consider at the time my thoughts were that he flopped a set and didn't want to see one more card to a straight out there

we both have 200x BB which is a lot of chips

09-16-2005, 08:09 PM
IMHO, preflop action suggests that he's more likely than not to have a big pair or big cards and doesn't play well. Flop action suggests that he just plaindoesn't play well.

IMHO, you're beat here a very small % of the time, and since he's played this hand so poorly, you can't narrow his range enough (maybe he has A9 or A7 or even 78 or 67), you have no choice but to push. I understand your fold, and I've made folds like it before, but I think that very they're incorrect in the long run, even if they're comfortable.

SheepCookers
09-16-2005, 08:20 PM
that's probably the reason I am posting this since I don't think my fold was correct and I was just sitting to comfy with my 200xBB not willing to jeopardise my whole stack

I should have taken longer to think about this but I didn't have any read on the player so I don't know if he would have bet like this with a set.