PDA

View Full Version : $2500 NL hand vs. Vinny Vinh at the Borgata Open

Tyler Durden
09-16-2005, 06:46 PM
6k to start, 60 minute levels.

I have about 4800 and JJ in the cutoff. The hijack openlimps for 50 and I make it 200. Vinny makes it 650 on the button. Limper folds and I call.

Flop is 7 high.

I check, he bets 900. Due to my acting a long time and then getting called on the hand I busted w/ in the $1500 on Wednesday, I decided to take a while on this hand b/c then it looks like I'm weak. After about two minutes (during which I said "vinny, do you have a big hand?" he said "you know me?") I move all-in for 3100 more. He started the hand w/ about 7500.

Thoughts?

thanks much

Lloyd
09-16-2005, 06:59 PM
I cannot see any other reasonable line against him with his range of hands and aggressiveness.

bugstud
09-16-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot see any other reasonable line against him with his range of hands and aggressiveness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lloyd
09-16-2005, 07:02 PM
I take that back. I could see maybe some type of a weak bet into him with the hope that he'll come over the top with Ax sensing "weakness". But I think I like the check-raise more.

adanthar
09-16-2005, 07:05 PM
If I'm ever getting into B&M I think I need some kind of big pro cheat sheet so I know who these people are and how they play...anyway, nh.

JJJ88
09-16-2005, 07:26 PM
I think it is a good play against Vinny.

How would you play if you are against a solid player like Harrington?
What would you do after flop, after turn, after river?

Prime Time
09-16-2005, 07:31 PM
I like it, but you probably should not have said a thing.
I would have sensed comfort, and mucked all but big hands.

DeadMoneyOC
09-16-2005, 07:34 PM
All these people have responded "Thats a good play against Vinny"...

Are yall really going to base your read on what you have seen on TV? Yikes!

If he had been playing like a maniac then this is correct but if not...then you have to re-evaluate.

JohnnyF
09-16-2005, 07:35 PM
I don't know if the whole acting routine hurts you or helps you. I think that in the grand scheme of things, you're better off just playing your hand against someone who's a pretty regular live player. You Internet guys sometimes forget that you may be accidentally letting on a little too much . . .

The play of the hand is correct without question against this player absent any signs to the contrary. If you're beat, you're beat.

When you coming back out to Vegas?

curtains
09-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Looks normal to me, although what is the hijack? I assume its the seat before the cutoff, as nothing else makes any sense, yet I've never heard the term.

Lloyd
09-16-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Looks normal to me, although what is the hijack? I assume its the seat before the cutoff, as nothing else makes any sense, yet I've never heard the term.

[/ QUOTE ]
Rarely used term but it is the seat before the CO.

09-16-2005, 07:48 PM
I like your play.

I hope you won the hand and shouted your own name several times.

curtains
09-16-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why use a rarely used term that a lot of people may not understand when you are asking an opinion on a hand?

KramerTM
09-16-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why use a rarely used term that a lot of people may not understand when you are asking an opinion on a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not THAT rarely used. Frankly, I'm surprised a player of your stature has never heard it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

curtains
09-16-2005, 10:11 PM
I guess I don't get out enough.

Tyler Durden
09-16-2005, 10:11 PM
So after I moved all-in Vinny took his sunglasses off and said something like "you take all that time and then move in? you flop set?" then he called w/ 76s for top pair and I doubled up.

after the hand he pulled one of my iPod earbuds out of my left ear and said "you from hollywood?" i didn't say anything then he said "where you from man" and i said "hold on let me finish stacking your chips first" and the other end of the table cracked up.

then he said "from now on whatever you do i call you" and i said "if you want to call me w/ top pair no kicker, that's cool w/ me"

09-16-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All these people have responded "Thats a good play against Vinny"...

Are yall really going to base your read on what you have seen on TV? Yikes!

If he had been playing like a maniac then this is correct but if not...then you have to re-evaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played with Vinny several times... this is a good play against Vinny

citanul
09-17-2005, 12:28 AM
hijack as a term sucks. it's not incredibly rarely used, but the people who are trying to make it more used suck. as human beings i mean they suck. this term is useless, as co+1 is even a shorter thing to type than "hijack." it not only is less well known, but well, it's less well known AND there was a perfectly good way to describe that seat before people started calling it the hijack.

i think that the point is people thought cutoff sounded cool, and well now there should be a name for other seats where you take action often. since the most frequent action seats are the late position and blinds, the next up after blinds button and cutoff was "the hijack." personally i think the world would be better off if people continued to call it co+1 or btn+2 or "2 off the button" or whathaveyou. hijack will forever seem to me to be the "man i so desperately wish i was one of the cool kids" type of words.

oh well.

nh yaser.

citanul

iMsoLucky0
09-17-2005, 02:12 AM
I like the term.

Nice hand Tyler.

09-17-2005, 02:14 AM
aahhah gotta love vinny!

bugstud
09-17-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hijack as a term sucks. it's not incredibly rarely used, but the people who are trying to make it more used suck. as human beings i mean they suck. this term is useless, as co+1 is even a shorter thing to type than "hijack." it not only is less well known, but well, it's less well known AND there was a perfectly good way to describe that seat before people started calling it the hijack.

i think that the point is people thought cutoff sounded cool, and well now there should be a name for other seats where you take action often. since the most frequent action seats are the late position and blinds, the next up after blinds button and cutoff was "the hijack." personally i think the world would be better off if people continued to call it co+1 or btn+2 or "2 off the button" or whathaveyou. hijack will forever seem to me to be the "man i so desperately wish i was one of the cool kids" type of words.

oh well.

nh yaser.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

the mid-high limit people I believe started it and frankly I like it /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lloyd
09-17-2005, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

oh well.

nh yaser.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, technically speaking, hijack would be equivalent to CO-1, not CO+1 (which would be the button). Or alternatively a MP+x depending upon the number of players.

TheCodeDog
09-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Didn't it start with a Tommy Angelo post?

betgo
09-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Reraise preflop.

Tyler Durden
09-18-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reraise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I want to do that?

I'd only get action from hands I'm losing to, and he'll fold if he has something like 76s.

betgo
09-18-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reraise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I want to do that?

I'd only get action from hands I'm losing to, and he'll fold if he has something like 76s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because JJ is a big hand in late position action against a loose player. Here it works better that you called, but 76s could beat you. If he is putting a lot of loose reraises, he will have to fold a lot of hands stronger than 76s to a third raise or put the money in behind.

bigmiiiiike
09-20-2005, 12:25 PM
I like it, i wouldn't say its 100% "standard" though, calling preflop is a nice move. You got the flop you wanted, so checkraise is the only way to go imo, since you're 90% sure to get a bet from him.

You should be weary of his reraise preflop, but against an aggressive player you can't lay down here. Against a tight player, I'd just call preflop trying to flop a set, and probably get out of the way unless I caught a Jack.

schwza
09-20-2005, 12:55 PM
it's good for notetaking, as in "open J9 HJ b200" (that's 100/200, for those not in the know)

betgo
09-20-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should be weary of his reraise preflop, but against an aggressive player you can't lay down here. Against a tight player, I'd just call preflop trying to flop a set, and probably get out of the way unless I caught a Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty late position action. I definately wouldn't reraise a tight player, but I think just playing for a set is too tight. Only a rock would need QQ-AA to reraise a CO raiser.

SL__72
09-20-2005, 01:04 PM
I was gonna say... HJ is shorter then MP+ or CO- or whatever. Its also easier to say.

revots33
09-20-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
after the hand he pulled one of my iPod earbuds out of my left ear and said "you from hollywood?" i didn't say anything then he said "where you from man" and i said "hold on let me finish stacking your chips first" and the other end of the table cracked up.

then he said "from now on whatever you do i call you" and i said "if you want to call me w/ top pair no kicker, that's cool w/ me"

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to ask you if Vinny was as much of an idiot in person as he seems on tv - but you answered my question. Nice hand.

zambonidrivr
09-20-2005, 01:23 PM
why complain constantly?