PDA

View Full Version : Two PartyPoker hands

ElSapo
05-05-2003, 09:54 AM
1. In the SB with 23d. Three or four limpers to me, and I complete. Is this a good call for half a bet, or is 23, even suited, still too weak? BB raises and now the odds I'd been getting are shot. Everyone calls and I do also (another mistake, or routine? When you call in SB with a marginal drawing hand and then BB raises, do you call or muck it?). Flop comes a small Monday morning miracle of all diamonds, I bet out, BB raises, EP calls 2 and the rest fold. Now, I'm not worried about BB here, I figure he's on a pocket pair or maybe AK, and unless it's AKd I think I'm in good shape against him. It's the EP caller I'm concerned about. I don't feel like I can raise, simply because he's in there with something, maybe just a high diamond or two middle diamonds? Turn is a non-diamond, I check, BB bets and EP calls again. Still not wanting to raise for the same reason. River another non-diamond, same action and my hand is good.

Questions -

1. 23d a bad complete from the small blind?
2. Not mucking after the raise a mistake?
3. Should play more agressively?

I think I made several mistakes here - I'm not sure I should have played the 23d, but I do know that once I get the flush - the very thing I presumably wanted - I think I should be playing it more agressively. Otherwise, what's the point in calling with it.

Hand 2 - in BB with 22. Three limpers, I check and the flop comes T2T. Not bad, I check, intending to bet the turn. LP bets, I call and the rest fold. Heads up, the turn comes a 9, I bet, he raises, I re-raise and he caps. Wasn't expecting that. River is a blank, I check and call and he turns over 99 for a bigger boat. Not sure what more I could do here, and I don't think he's folding his 9s for one SB on the flop.

Any suggestions would be great...

Bob T.
05-05-2003, 10:10 AM
1. 23d a bad complete from the small blind?
2. Not mucking after the raise a mistake?
3. Should play more agressively?

It is probably ok to complete, getting 9-1 odds. When it gets raised, you are getting the same odds when it comes back to you, but your implied odds have gone down. I would call again. I would expect the coldcaller, to be drawing to a big diamond. I would raise the turn, when he only has one more chance to catch a big diamond and try and charge him as much as possible to try and get there. If you get three bet on the turn, you have to slow down.

Three limpers, I check and the flop comes T2T. Not bad, I check, intending to bet the turn.

Bet the flop, most players are more likely to call a flop bet, than a turn bet, and you probably want callers, and not folders. If you get raised on the flop checkraise the turn. If your opponent calls, you still lose, but you at least made him put in money when he was way behind.

Nottom
05-05-2003, 11:00 AM
23s is pretty weak even from the SB ... I would probably complete with almost any str flush drawing hand with 4-5 limpers, but I think folding to the BB raise isn't a bad idea since your implied odds are now shot.

Once you hit your flush you need to push it hard, you are losing to every other diamond in the deck if the 4th diamond comes. If you get 3-bet or capped on the turn, maybe you can slowdown, but you need to make a big diamond pay to beat you.

On the second hand, I don't think there is anyway you can win this hand against most players. I would definately bet out on the flop though and if raised go for the checkraise on the turn.

Barry
05-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Hand 1

1 and 2. 32s for 1/2 a bet is OK with that number of limpers. It is unfortunate that BB raised, hurting your implied odds, but you should still call.

3. Your post hand thoughts are correct. There is a saying that you shouldn't draw to hands that you don't plan to bet. I'd likely 3 bet the flop and lead the turn, if a non-diamond; you want to get the maximum out of the BB's likely KK or AA and to charge the holder of the lone diamond the maximum. Another approach is to checkraise the turn if a non diamond shows up. If you get raised on the turn you can slow down. You need to get the most out of this hand and check calling is not the way to get it.

Hand 2

Not much you can do here, he hits his 2 outer, just say nice hand and move on. I like your turn bet as his flop bet could have been a feeler and he might not have bet the turn, if he didn't improve, afraid that you had a T

Tyler Durden
05-05-2003, 01:36 PM
Hand One

1. With three or four limpers I think you made a good completion.

2. No.
3. Yes.

I'd 3-bet this flop virtually every time. The guy who raised probably has a big pocket pair or AK, like you said, and may have a diamond. He's unsure whether or not he still has the best hand. The coldcaller may have top pair, but if the flop came all small cards, and he's in EP, that's unlikely. He may have a pocket pair 66-99 with a diamond, or something like that. You don't want to give any cheap cards to a singleton diamond. If another falls, you're dead in the water. I think you HAVE to 3-bet the flop. Then lead the turn if a non-diamond falls.

Hand Two

Well played. Ni han! (even though you lost)