PDA

View Full Version : Dealing Ambitions

01-23-2002, 02:12 AM
In a couple of years, I am hoping to spend the summer dealing in one of the gambling towns we have here in Colorado, probably Blackhawk. The bet limit here is $5, and I would be willing to deal BJ or any form of poker.

Has anyone had any experience dealing, and could give me some advice? How much would a dealer in this environment expect to make? Are there any books, videos, or seminars that show the proper techniques of shuffling and dealing? As a player, what are some characteristics of the dealers you like and respect?

All advice is appreciated,

FastDraw

01-23-2002, 07:41 AM
Dealing can be tough on the body and spirit. As a player, I appreciate dealers who: 1) pitch cards without exposing them; 2) pay attention and control the game; 3) say "thank you" when toked; and 4) apologize for their occasional mistakes. I have noticed that new poker dealers who also play are usually superior to those who do not.

01-23-2002, 08:15 PM
When dealing poker, keep your mouth shut.

Accuracy counts more than speed. You don't need to work on speed; it will come on its own. So pay attention to accuracy.

2+2 has a "poker dealers handbook". Buy it.

Can't help you with dealing 21. I only did it for a few days. Hated it. Hated standing all day. Hated being thought of as "the enemy", who deals himself pat hands to take the money of the good people. Hated being expected to "entertain" the tourist every night.

REALLY hated standing up all day. Did I mention that?

I have no idea how much you'll make in that part of the country.

Hope this helps.

Bobby