PDA

View Full Version : strange AK hand

Rogue5
09-16-2005, 05:51 PM
before I celebrate winning with AK I was hoping to get some input.

pretty loose table (well loose for stars at least...), vp$ip of around 35-40%

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls.

pretty ragged flop, MP1 opening made me wonder, but rather than look a gift horse in the mouth I'm thinking a reraise should be able to narrow the field a bit.

Turn: (6.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

should I be betting this? I don't really have a hand yet, and for him to stick around I figure he either had a flush draw and is looking for a check raise, or he hit something on the flop.

River: (6.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

and saved by the river /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

cold_cash
09-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Nice hand dude.

pryor15
09-16-2005, 06:03 PM
reads????

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: (6.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

should I be betting this?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would. if he had, say, 55 you may take the pot right there.

[ QUOTE ]
and saved by the river

[/ QUOTE ]

were you really?

Shillx
09-16-2005, 06:06 PM
This is a good card to bet if you intend on calling one on the river. The villian will probably throw away a lot of hands that beat us if you take a stab at it. Of course if you plan on folding UI then it is okay.

Brad

POKhER
09-16-2005, 06:17 PM
You raised to get rid of who? Or for a free card?

Flush/OESD/TPTK are pretty much coming along for the ride at 10:2 or 5:1. Your reraise didn't do much, i think a call is better unless you wanted a free card.

turn cool, free card and i probably wouldn't bet as i fear a C/R but i suppose you can bet and fold to one? Unless he's tricky/Read says otherwise?

Basically i dont bet that.

River.. lucky you /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Aaron W.
09-16-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
before I celebrate winning with AK I was hoping to get some input.

pretty loose table (well loose for stars at least...), vp$ip of around 35-40%

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls.

pretty ragged flop, MP1 opening made me wonder, but rather than look a gift horse in the mouth I'm thinking a reraise should be able to narrow the field a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to do that?

Edit: This hand deserves the Overcard challenge (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=smallholdem&amp;Number=273 7416&amp;fpart=&amp;PHPSESSID=) link.

Shillx
09-16-2005, 06:42 PM
Let's just say for the sake of argument that the villian has T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif here (he flips his hand face up). We want to thin the field and race against that hand with a 9 SB overlay.

If the villian would never bet a draw here then yeah we should fold, but this flop has enough possibilities that a raise seems okay.

Brad

GTSamIAm
09-16-2005, 06:47 PM
This looks fine. Raising instead of calling on the flop is a better option even if you get 3-bet if you can get it heads-up. You have perfect relative position.

AngelicPenguin
09-16-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the villian would never bet a draw here then yeah we should fold, but this flop has enough possibilities that a raise seems okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain showed us Q8, would why would we fold getting 10-1?

Shillx
09-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Well if the villian did show us Q8 we might want to call, but there are a few problems with just calling here.

1) Someone else might check/raise behind us.

2) The bettor will sometimes have us reverse dominated. If our AK is beat by the bettor, we have 6 outs in a best case scenario.

3) We will get calls behind us from hands that take away some of our equity. If someone has a flush draw for example we only have 4 outs at most.

So if we give ourselves 4 outs on this board, we appear to be breaking about even on this call. The problem is that we don't which outs will give us a boss hand though. Sometimes we will nail and ace and lose but sometimes we will hit an ace and win. This is much different than a gutshot for example.

Brad

@bsolute_luck
09-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Aaron: i have read that post a lot and have toned down my aggression, but with that said: you'll get the free card at these stakes a majority of the time. that's where i'm still wondering about the post.

added bonus if they see you do it and catch on, you can play your big premium holdins even faster /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aaron W.
09-16-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aaron: i have read that post a lot and have toned down my aggression, but with that said: you'll get the free card at these stakes a majority of the time. that's where i'm still wondering about the post.

added bonus if they see you do it and catch on, you can play your big premium holdins even faster /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Free card? That's a good reason to consider raising.

Narrowing the field? I'm not so sure if that's a reason to do it here. There are only two villians left to act and you are reasonably likely not to have the best hand, nor do you have the best draw. All you have are two weak overcards (weak because 1/3 of your outs bring the flush).

I'm not totally sold that you shouldn't raise, but I think you need to be clear about *why* you are raising.

@bsolute_luck
09-17-2005, 07:36 AM
on this board i wouldn't mind thinning the field incase my A/images/graemlins/heart.gif comes on the turn coupled with the "free card".