PDA

View Full Version : Uncanny?

rayrns
05-05-2003, 06:36 AM
Yesterday while playing .25/.50 online I was dealt pocket pair of A's (3 times) and pp K's (once). This was all within an hour an a half of play. In between these hands I was mucking about 90% of the other hands. The day before I was dealt back to back pocket pair of A's. What is uncanny about this? Well yesterday 1 player beat me 2 times I had the A's and the only time I had the K's. 3-Ts to a last card fullhouse, 3-5o to last card gut shot straight and a last card draw to a flush against the K's. The hand I won, I open raised and had 2 callers. Then when I bet on the flop they both folded. What are the odds of having pocket A's cracked 4 of 5 times or A's and K's cracked 5 of 6? I am just a little jittery about going back to this board, soon. As a p.s. to this. I saw another player have pocket A's 3 times in the same time period yesterday and he won with them twice. The one time he lost was to the uncanny player. That also made the deal give pocket A's 6 times (shown) in approximately 1 1/2 hours. What's the odds?

Nottom
05-05-2003, 10:34 AM
It really hard to give exact numbers of how often your aces get cracked, but I can say that that number is a lot higher when you get 7 people cold-calling your raise with wonderful hands like 4-7s. Granted when they do decide to hold up, it makes for a nice pot.

As for the number of aces you are seeing, it just one of those things. You should expect to see someone with Aces about once every 22 hands at a full table, so 6 times in 1.5 hrs online (about 100 hands or so) isn't that rare.

oddjob
05-05-2003, 02:17 PM
these things happen. you will get your A's and k's cracked.

i once had pocket j's twice in a row. both hands, the same player raised before me with the same hand, something like KTs, and reraised him. both hands i flopped a set and won. this was not online, so the uncanny does happen.

rayrns
05-05-2003, 03:34 PM
I am glad you and oddjob didn't take my post as me crying bad beat. Your figures make sense and I really should have seen the numbers you posted myself. Only been at this since the middle of Dec. and can only concentrate on so much at a time. I'm ready to go back, but before I do maybe I will re-read HPFAP (loose section) and Lee Jones LLHE. It sure can't hurt. Thanks again for the prompt post.

TJSWAN
05-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Got pp AA 3x in a live limit tourney the other week in the same time frame. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Won 2 of 3, but they really didn't have much effect on my stack as much as when I held a J-9 off and flopped 2 top pair. I raked more in that pot than the three AA pots had in them combined. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
At the limit you are playing I feel it is too cheap for people to call along to see their river card when they are on a draw to a straight or whatever that will beat your AA.

P.S. How many callers did you have on average when you were
beat ??