PDA

View Full Version : Arizona St -15 v Northwestern

MyTurn2Raise
09-16-2005, 03:33 PM
My pick of the week for week 3 in college football is Arizona State.

Here's why: (Arizona State won last year 30-21 in Evanston)

1) Arizona's offense will destroy the Northwestern defense. Northern Illinois put up 37 points and over 540 yards on Northwestern last week in Evanston. Northwestern's defense gave up over 28pts/game and almost 400 yds/game last year. Doesn't look like they've improved much. Arizona St.'s passing attack decimiated LSU's defense last week for over 461 yds and ran for another 100. If they can do that against speedy LSU, I feel almost sorry for Northwestern's D. Expect Arizona State to put up at least 40.

2) Northwestern will not burn the Arizona State defense as badly as one might think. Northwestern will score some, like last year, but don't expect them to dominate. LSU needed two special team scores against ASU to boost the total to 31. Arizona St. held the quick, tough LSU offense to 17 points. Northwestern has the benefit of a sixth-year quarterback and a great scheme, but I don't expect their inferior talent to put up more than 24 on Arizona St.

3) It's Northwestern's first game on the road. The going will be tougher. Last year, Northwestern lost road games to TCU, Hawaii, Minnesota by 26, Michigan by 22, Wisconsin by 12, but did win at Penn St (2-3-1 ATS). Northwestern is a shaky road team.

On the other hand, special teams can ruin my pick. Arizona St. was attrocious last week. Can they be that bad again?

IMO:Arizona St. 48 Nortwestern 20 pick of the week

BTW: I'm 1-1 in my pick of the weeks
week 1: Rutgers +2 @ Illinois (Loss, Illinois 33 Rutgers 30)
week 2: V Tech -20 @ Duke (Win, V Tech 45 Duke 0)
week 3: Ariz ST -15 v N'western

MyTurn2Raise
09-17-2005, 03:45 AM
BTW...the feeling here in Champaign is that they will not cover, so take Cal -21 v the Illini if you are looking at that game.

The feeling in Chamapaign is 1-1 this year. Missed Rutgers +2 @ Champaign. Got Illini -14 v San Jose St.

YoureToast
09-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the pick....I followed your advice due to your in depth reasoning.

MyTurn2Raise
09-18-2005, 07:55 PM
welcome...got lucky and nailed one, even pretty close on the score