PDA

View Full Version : concentration

tommo
09-16-2005, 03:26 PM
some days I can concentrate like none other.

In my advanced math classes and theoretical physics I understand everything and can point out the mistakes the professor makes. I feel this way once or twice a week and it is incredible.

But then on other days once or twice a week, like today and yesterday, my mind wanders constantly. I even notice it happening but can do nothing about it.

Most days lay somewhere between these two extremes

I am much happier when I can focus on things.

Does anybody know any methods or supplements I can take to cultivate this concentration?

09-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Exercise regularly, drink lots of water, and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Avoid caffeine or other drugs.

Or

Dexadrine. You will need a perscription, though.

The Truth
09-16-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Exercise regularly, drink lots of water, and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Avoid caffeine or other drugs.

Or

Dexadrine. You will need a perscription, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all that except the caffeine part.

tommo
09-17-2005, 03:58 PM
http://www.sharpermindcenters.com/side_affects.htm

for a site about why I don't want to take dexadrine. I used to take deprenyl however and have recently stopped. I suspect this may be why my concentration has been off as of late. I'll try it again and let you guys know if I experience any difference.

Joe826
09-17-2005, 04:12 PM
get enough sleep, drink lots of water, exercise, eat decently, and.. don't masturbate!!

i'm not kidding. it works. plus it's easier to pick up chicks, if you're into that sort of thing.

tommo
09-17-2005, 04:16 PM
alright, I do all those but the don't masturbate thing...seems like the opposite would be true though.

Joe826
09-17-2005, 04:33 PM
meh, i'm not gonna get into a big discussion about it, but try it for a week and see how it goes. works for me.

onegymrat
09-17-2005, 05:08 PM
I agree with the other's recommendations about diet and exercise. It's probably the most important things to help your cause. How about stress? Are you being bogged down with a lot of stuff? Stress tires the mind and may cause problems with your health, such as lack of sleep, headaches...and the ability to concentrate.

theBruiser500
09-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Could you elaborate on the masturabate thing please? Biggest thing for me is excercise, whenever I'm unhappy or unable to concentrate (they go together... if you're happy you'll be able to concentrate, I think that's how the causation works, not the other way around like you suggested - NOT being able to concentrate makes you happy), anyway, the more strenuous the excercise, the more out of breath, tired, challenged I am the better I feel and the clearer my mind becomes.

An interesting book kind of about this subject, "Flow", anyone else here read it?

smoore
09-17-2005, 10:32 PM
echinacea, weed and coffee for me.

I'm a weirdo though.

KidPokerX
09-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Lay off the dope.

wall_st
09-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Seriously is there any sort of truth to the masturbation thing ? My girlfriend just left for a month, and so far I see no correlation.

I find that I have to take breaks about every 45 minutes when 2+ tabling, even if it is just to go to the bathroom (not to do that). Otherwise I can be prone to ugly tilt.

Bruiser is flow worth reading ? I have also heard good things about the book blink (sub title is the power of thinking without thinking), but have yet to read it, anyone read this one either ?

Watain
09-18-2005, 06:42 AM
This non-mastrubation thing works.

After 7 days of not having ejaculation (meaning you can mastrubate, but without ejaculation) you testosterone level will increase significantly. Around 40%.

Testosterone is important for virtually everything. Mood, will power, generel enjoyment, confidence etc etc. Concentration can both be altered in positive and negative direction. If you have the will-power then it will be positive. The risk, powerwise, is that tilting is easier, when you are full of vigor...

This is not some old Buddist theory or new-age crap. Check out www.pubmed.com. (http://www.pubmed.com.) There are 2 examinations proving this. Let me know if you canīt find them.

But remember... You have to go 7 days before testosterone level is altered.

oh well:

------------
World J Urol 2001 Nov;19(5):377-82

Endocrine response to masturbation-induced orgasm in healthy men following a 3-week sexual abstinence.

Exton MS, Kruger TH, Bursch N, Haake P, Knapp W, Schedlowski M, Hartmann U.

Institut fur Medizinische Psychologie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Germany. michael.exton@uni-essen.de

This current study examined the effect of a 3-week period of sexual abstinence on the neuroendocrine response to masturbation-induced orgasm. Hormonal and cardiovascular parameters were examined in ten healthy adult men during sexual arousal and masturbation-induced orgasm. Blood was drawn continuously and cardiovascular parameters were constantly monitored. This procedure was conducted for each participant twice, both before and after a 3-week period of sexual abstinence. Plasma was subsequently analysed for concentrations of adrenaline, noradrenaline, cortisol, prolactin, luteinizing hormone and testosterone concentrations. Orgasm increased blood pressure, heart rate, plasma catecholamines and prolactin. These effects were observed both before and after sexual abstinence. In contrast, although plasma testosterone was unaltered by orgasm, higher testosterone concentrations were observed following the period of abstinence. These data demonstrate that acute abstinence does not change the neuroendocrine response to orgasm but does produce elevated levels of testosterone in males.
--------------

Jiang M. Periodic changes in serum testosterone levels after ejaculation in men. Sheng Li Xue Bao 2002 Dec 25;54(6):535-8

The purpose of this study was to determine the changes in sex hormone level in men after ejaculation. The serum testosterone concentrations of 28 male volunteers were investigated daily during abstinence period after ejaculation. We found that fluctuations of testosterone levels from day 2 to day 5 of abstinence were minimal. On day 7 of abstinence, a peak of serum testosterone appeared, reaching 145.7% of the baseline (P<0.01). After the peak, no regular fluctuation was observed. Ejaculation was the premise and beginning of the 7 days' periodic phenomenon. If there was no ejaculation, there was no periodical changes in serum testosterone level. These results indicate that the periodic change in serum testosterone level is caused by ejaculation.

------------------------

Mikey
09-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Ginko Biloba

mockingbird
09-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Meditation has been shown to reduce stress and improve concentration. Pretty well documented I believe.

If you're interested in trying it there are a number of different kinds you could look into. You can reap benefits from it with just 15 or 20 minutes a day.

tommo
09-19-2005, 10:05 PM
I looked through some articles by searching on google and found mixed results. It appears that a couple articles say masturbation increases testosterone (in fact that all sexual activity does) a couple said it had no effect and the one you quoted said that it increases after seven days.

No idea. Hopefully this doesn't actually have much effect on concentration.

MyTurn2Raise
09-20-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I looked through some articles by searching on google and found mixed results. It appears that a couple articles say masturbation increases testosterone (in fact that all sexual activity does) a couple said it had no effect and the one you quoted said that it increases after seven days.

No idea. Hopefully this doesn't actually have much effect on concentration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shot my eye out

noggindoc
09-20-2005, 12:51 PM
this is a bogus site man