PDA

View Full Version : Empire VIP "freeroll"

Alobar
09-16-2005, 01:46 PM
I love how they call these lame things "Freerolls" when they really arent seeing as how you have to spend 2K in EP points to get in.

Anyway, since you have to buy your ticket early I cant just wait till the tourny starts to see how many people are in it. I never buy in cuz I thinkthe VIP program sucks and I dont feel like wasting 2K points on a lame freeroll. Altho considering the plethora of crap they offer for your points, its actually prolly the best value, still I just like ot not participate out of protest.

Im rambling, anyway, has anyone done one of these? How many people on average are in them? Is it worth the 2K points (assume you are a full ring player, so 2K in points is around 2 months worth of hands)

obsidian
09-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Been wondering this exact thing myself. However, due to the 2k point requirement I can't imagine this game being much other than a bunch of multi-tabling tags.

MicroBob
09-16-2005, 03:46 PM
yeah. i've done them.

was also doing them when they were WSOP 'freerolls' for 2000 e-points.

(fwiw - pokerstars calls their FPP tourneys and satellites 'freerolls' too as does Party. I think it's really stupid to call it 'free' when it isn't...but empire isn't alone in this).

I think there are 200-300 people in them?? for some reason I can't remember even though I played the one last month.

$10k divided by 300 players means that each entry is worth $33.
(also add on the fact that because it's something you have to sign-up for early there will be a few no-shows).

Your logic that it's a better value than anything in the store or the direct cash-back 'coupons' is why I enter them.

In fact, I have yet to spend any of my e-points on anything BUT these 2k e-point 'freerolls' because I have determined them to be the very best value in the whole stupid store.

It's even an okay value if you aren't even sure whether or not you are going to play in it imo.
If there's a decent chance that I'll play in it then I will.
If I get invited to go out for drinks or something then I'll do it. I'll be damned if I'm going to sit at home because I have some stupid empire 'freeroll' that I have to play in.

mj2
09-16-2005, 05:56 PM
why not just trade the points in for cash?

Alobar
09-16-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why not just trade the points in for cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

cuz its a pretty crappy deal.

MicroBob
09-16-2005, 06:24 PM
As I pointed out in my post...the freerolls are probably a better value.

2k points for cash = $20
2k points for tourney entry = $30-$40 in value probably.

Any points for Empire merchandise (shirt, shot-glasses, whatever) = Spending your points on ugly crap made even uglier by also incorporating the Empire logo.

Voltron87
09-16-2005, 06:36 PM
time is money, i imagine the time it takes to take advantage of the tourney entry could be used to make much more than the 20$ difference.

MicroBob
09-16-2005, 06:43 PM
well...if you are the type that would normally be interested in playing a $20-$40 multi then this isn't the issue.
Since I will play multi's with buy-in's as low as that then this is the case for me.

But if you don't enjoy MTT's or they aren't +EV for you then your point is valid of course.

Voltron87
09-16-2005, 07:03 PM
it depends on what youre hourly rate per table is, and how long the tourney is. if the tourney takes 3 hours, its worth about 10$ an hour. not that much, but its all relative.

Benholio
09-16-2005, 07:31 PM
The last one I played in had ~320 people, but about 5-10% of the field doesn't show up to play. I will say the field was tighter than your usual MTT, but the players weren't exactly stellar. Of course, I am probably biased because I finished 2nd place ($1550) in the last one that I played. :P