PDA

View Full Version : AA with shorty all-in

ajmargarine
09-16-2005, 01:43 PM
.50/$1 NLHE Full Table

Hero ($110)
Shorty ($6.40)
Villian ($82)

Reads. There were a few maniacs left to act behind me who weren't afraid to splash around/raise it PF. I'm fairly certain villian would make a PFR with JJ, not sure about TT. He's pretty maniacal himself.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
1 fold, Villian calls $1, Shorty pushes all-in for $6.40, Hero calls $6.40, 6 folds, Villian calls $5.40.

Flop: ($19.20) J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue"> (3 players, 1 all-in) </font>
Villian bets $9.80, Hero calls.

Turn: ($38) T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue"> (3 players, 1 all-in) </font>
Villian pushes for $65.80, Hero calls.

Thoughts/comments welcome.

yvesaint
09-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Raise the flop. Pre-flop is based on table aggression.

Look like AJ or JT.

ajmargarine
09-16-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Calling to induce more action is a great way to get the maniac's stack. Taking over the betting impetus too early is not always best.

09-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't mind the pre-flop call. I would definitely raise on the turn. I don't want a maniac hanging around with the straight or flush draw against my overpair. I think you're beat on the turn a lot of the time (J-10,J-J,10-10). If I read him for the type to make this play with A-J, I might call, but I wouldn't like it.

ajmargarine
09-16-2005, 05:12 PM
I wasn't so concerned with JJ or TT. I thought he would raise it preflop the first time or go over the top the second time it came around to him. My concern was JT, but I had some draws to beat that if that was indeed what villian held. 55 or 44 I was under a bus.

I didn't raise the flop because I wanted to induce more betting from villian, with a plan to raise the turn. If you let maniacs keep the initiave, they often find ways to hang themselves. It's a variation of the check to induce a bluff play that we all know and use so well. IMO, the turn overbet was a classic strong-when-weak bet, and so I called. Villian held AJ, and my AA held up.