PDA

View Full Version : River Play

deception5
09-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Folded to me in CO with A /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I raise. SB and BB both call. Both are fairly loose and passive so I'm not too worried.

Flop 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. They check to me I bet they call. I believe they call here with any 2.

Turn is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. They check to me I bet because I think there's a good chance I have the best hand still. SB folds, BB calls.

River is 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif giving me the straight. BB checks I bet he raises. I 3-bet, he caps, I fold.

Reasonable? Should I just call the river c/r?

SeaEagle
09-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Did you really fold a 13BB pot for one bet on the end with disguised straight?

I play it like you did all the way up to where you folded.

09-16-2005, 12:46 PM
I 3-bet the river and call the cap. I think you are up against a set of deuces more than 1 out of 13 times here.

krimson
09-16-2005, 12:46 PM
I thinkt he 3-bet is good, as you will often get weak players trying to be "tricky" and slowplaying something like A2 here and then coming alive on the river. I'm not sure I could fold this to the cap.

Redd
09-16-2005, 12:47 PM
It would really suck if he slowplayed you with a better hand then pushed you off with a worse one. IMO this happens more than 1 in 13 times. I'd call the river.

PTjvs
09-16-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Folded to me in CO with A /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I raise. SB and BB both call. Both are fairly loose and passive so I'm not too worried.

Flop 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. They check to me I bet they call. I believe they call here with any 2.

Turn is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. They check to me I bet because I think there's a good chance I have the best hand still. SB folds, BB calls.

River is 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif giving me the straight. BB checks I bet he raises. I 3-bet, he caps, I fold.

Reasonable? Should I just call the river c/r?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a SUPER read on the opponent, Im 3betting the c/r every time. Folding to the cap is just incredibly poor.

jvs

SeaEagle
09-16-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet the river and call the cap. I think you are up against a set of deuces more than half the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

2+2 wannabe
09-16-2005, 12:51 PM
How do you fold here? I think that's really bad.

He could have a 2, AJ, KJ (probably not), A4

I definitely don't fold the river cap.

deception5
09-16-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you really fold a 13BB pot for one bet on the end with disguised straight?

I play it like you did all the way up to where you folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I actually called, I just wanted to see if this was the right play /images/graemlins/smile.gif

My thought was when he check/raised it's very often trips, but surely a passive player won't cap with just trips here. So my thought was that I should either call his raise or raise/fold.

deception5
09-16-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet the river and call the cap. I think you are up against a set of deuces more than half the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think it's that often? Maybe I overestimate my opponents. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SeaEagle
09-16-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think it's that often? Maybe I overestimate my opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's that often.

BB didn't raise the turn, which either means he's waiting all the way to the river to raise you or that the river made his hand.

The river only made 64, A4, and 55 and we can discount the chance of 64 quite a bit since he had to call 2 bets after the flop with it. (Technically, it also made 52, but with that hand he was waiting to pop you on the river anyway).

So there aren't many hands that got made on the river and it's likely he was waiting to pop you with his 2x the whole time. There are a lot more 2x's that are just 3 of a kind then there are making a full house - especially since the FH hands are all really ugly starting hands. Additionally, your straight is well disguised. If he has something like A2 or K2, he's going to cap the river because he's not going to put you on a gutshot.

And there's also the chance that he's slowplaying KK or AA here as well. Since you raised PF, he's not going to put you on a hand that beats a big overpair.

So yeah, I'd say at least half the time you're looking at something other than a FH.

09-16-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't know about half the time but you are up against trip two's or chopping to another a4 way way too often to make a fold good.

deception5
09-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Good points. Thanks for the replies!

thejameser
09-16-2005, 02:26 PM
nice fold....wait, you called? are you crazy?

SlantNGo
09-16-2005, 02:44 PM
From my experience, even for loose passives, having trips on a paired board is played like the nuts. I've also seen way too many loose-passives raising the flop with a 3 on this board. I'm not sure why, but I see it all the time online, and even at the B&M 5/10 game. When the board is paired all of a sudden they learn to raise. So it's a no-brainer call for me.