PDA

View Full Version : Performify's Pigskin Picks - Week Two

jedinite
09-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Yearly results:
Overall: 1-3 (2-3 adding KC at the bottom of my last post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3353892&page=4&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)).
Game of the Week: 1-0.
Lines listed are the favorable of the two currently available at Bodog or BetOnSports.

Kansas City -1.5 at Oakland.
Last year, KC walks in to Oakland as a one point favorite and comes home with a seven point win. Oakland finished the league dead last in points allowed last year, and against the Patriots the Raiders D looked even worse than last year's. Warren Sapp especially looked bad in the middle - he's overweight and has lost the quickness that made him so dangerous. The Chiefs open up the running game and then go over the top with play action. Priest Holmes has a huge day out of the backfield, much of it receiving, putting up 200+ combined yards and two touchdowns. Larry Johnson sees ten touches and one touchdown, and two strikes through the air for Green (to Gonzo + Kennison). The Raiders play catch-up the whole way and struggle against the much-improved KC D. 34-24 Chiefs, game of the week.

Detroit -1 at Chicago
Detroit will face a serious challenge with Chicago's defense, but Chicago's limited offensive options will prove too inefective against a solid Detroit team. Detroit started strong last year (4-2) and should do the same this year, winning a key game to open a 2-0 lead in the NFC North. Kevin Jones will be the key to the game, if Detroit can sucessfully establish the run againt the hard-nosed Chicago defense they should be able to control the game. 21-10 Detroit.

Jacksonville +9 at Indy
I backed the Colts bandwagon big last year, and they were some of my most sucessful picks covering week after week. However, I think the Colts suffer a letdown here. Jacksonville is the only other team besides the Pats to consistently matchup well with Manning and the Colts. The Colts are vulnerable to top defensive teams (Baltimore had opportunities last week to cover if not win, and but for a few critical plays that went the Colts way...) and Jacksonville brings a very strong defense and a balanced offense in to the RCA Dome: Fred Taylor has averaged almost five yards a carry on the ground against the Colts, and I think both teams are content to play a slower ball-control game here with the Colts taking a fourth-quarter lead of a single score and then running out the clock The Colts are also still missing Dallas Clark, which really hurt them against the Ravens last week and will lead to several missed opportunities this week as well. Colts win this game by a touchdown (or maybe two field goals), but those extra two points make it a Jacksonville cover. 27-21 Colts.

Dallas -6 vs Washington
Redskins have lost their last four Monday night games, this week makes it five in a row. Brunell steps in to replace Patrick Ramsey, but thats not going to be enough to fix serious problems with the Redskins offense. 21-14 Cowboys.

Minnesota +3 at Cincy
Its a tough game, but the Vikings don't open the season 0-2. They tried but failed to establsh the run last week, this week they will sucessfullly open up the ground game and let Culpepper go over the top big. 24-21 Vikings.

I also like fading the barstool pundits picks this week (playing Denver and Seattle, as everyone seems to be on the other side of these games) so both will see single unit action, but not based on any specific insight on my side so they're not formally in my picks.

As usual, picks are archived on my blog (http://performify.com/2005/09/performifys-pigskin-picks-week-two.html)

jedinite
09-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Results so far:

2-2 for the week with monday game pending.
4-2 for the week including the BSP picks as listed.

2-0 for the year on game of the week;
6-5 on total suggested plays;
under loaded betting system (weighted to picks in order, with significantly heavier play on the GotW each week) puts me up ~6 units for the year.

I feel my analysis was spot-on on the detroit game, just that detroit was unable to open up the run game (Kevin Jones completely shut down) which killed the rest of their gameplan. Obviously didn't expect four interceptions and two defensive touchdowns for Chicago either, but the interceptions are certainly a result of Harrington being put in a bad situation after K.Jones was shut down.

Vikings obviously turned out poorly, but as a #4 selection I thought they had some value... they might be a good play next week depending on public perception and the final line...

Easy E
09-19-2005, 10:58 AM
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif