PDA

View Full Version : Starting slow.

09-16-2005, 10:50 AM
I got the converter to work.
Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero?

And why.

4_2_it
09-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Please provide raise amount and stack sizes if you want a good analysis.

based on your limited info, I would check and fold if MP3 bets. You are way behind in a 5-way pot. Even if you runner-runner hearts you still might lose if the board pairs again or if one of the villains has A9, which is not out of the question. There are better places to make moves.

I play NL and my advice is predicated on that, if this is a limit hand, I'm still not making a continuation bet because I am drawing very thin here.

SheridanCat
09-16-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero?

And why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is limit, stack sizes don't really matter (unless someone is nearly all-in) and bet sizes are known.

I bet in this situation.

So far I have no reason to believe I'm behind. I have three limpers and a cold caller. As expected, they check to the raiser, and to maintain the lead, I have to bet. If MP3 raises or I'm check-raised, I can lay it down.

Since I raised preflop, I'm representing a big hand and that big hand many times includes an Ace. As far as they're concerned, I have two pair right now. If I don't bet, I don't give them the opportunity to fold, and the pot is big enough that I don't mind winning it right now.

I think you have to see the turn here unless you are raised by someone. So far you have no reason to buy that flop hitting anyone.

Hopefully the cold-caller will fold to your bet and anyone who calls you will check it to you on the turn so you can take a free card if necessary.

Remember to think not only about your cards but about what the other players think you have. Many times you'll find yourself playing the situation as much as the cards.

Regards,

T

TaoTe
09-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Good analysis. Having the betting lead is very important as it shows strength and puts others on the defensive. HE is an aggressive game and I can't emphasize how important it is to have the betting lead. Anyone that would call with a hand that couldn't beat or a pair of aces (which is what you're representing) or a good draw immediately should be added to your buddy list. more often than not, you'll have the ace and want them calling down with middle pair.

4_2_it
09-16-2005, 01:25 PM
I knew there was a reason I stay on the NL tables /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am not questioning your analysis, but was wondering do you really think that, in a 5-way pot, that no one has an ace and that they would lay it down here? My guess is that 80% of the time you will get at least 2 callers and the other 20% you are being raised. Seems to me the most +EV way to play this one is to not throw any more money into this pot.

It that action were heads up then I would agree that being agressive is absolutely the right play, but in a low limit 5-way pot I don't see how a stone call bluff takes down this pot.

SheridanCat
09-16-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I knew there was a reason I stay on the NL tables /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that if this were no-limit this thing would be in the muck pronto.

[ QUOTE ]

I am not questioning your analysis, but was wondering do you really think that, in a 5-way pot, that no one has an ace and that they would lay it down here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps one of the limpers has a very weak suited ace. But my prelop raise has to look to them like an ace with a bigger kicker - easily bigger than a 9. Not to mention, the board is paired, which is going to make Mr. Sucky Ace Holder think a bit.

I would probably bet in this situation nearly 100% of the time.

[ QUOTE ]

My guess is that 80% of the time you will get at least 2 callers and the other 20% you are being raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I don't mind one or two of the limpers calling my bet. I really want to lose the player after me who cold-called though. If I'm called by the limpers, I'm usually going to bet again when checked to. If bet at on the turn, I'll often lay it down unless my heart draw is still live.

I agree that 20% of the time I'll be raise. Then I'll know where I am and can lay it down without too much hesitation.

[ QUOTE ]

Seems to me the most +EV way to play this one is to not throw any more money into this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

In no limit, as usually played, I would agree with this. But playing like this in limit hold'em is pretty weak and people will notice. If you raise and then start laying down to scary boards, I'll start targeting you until you show me something different.

[ QUOTE ]

It that action were heads up then I would agree that being agressive is absolutely the right play, but in a low limit 5-way pot I don't see how a stone call bluff takes down this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a bluff. First off, there's a chance my hand is currently good. I'm way behind to an ace or a 9, sure. But if I take the lead and establish that I have something, I have ways to win:

<ul type="square"> I have fold equity - remember the pot is pretty big on the flop and the board is going to be scary.
I have the possibility of catching a king or queen and winning with those.
I have a backdoor flush draw and a backdoor straight draw that can win it for me to.
[/list]

This is an excellent example of why I prefer limit hold'em to no-limit hold'em. In no-limit the hand will usually end right here. In limit, you really have to think about what you have and what you think other players think of you, etc.

I hope that clears up what I have in mind a bit.

Regards,

T