PDA

View Full Version : Jarhead

thatpfunk
09-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Jarhead Trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/jarhead/)

Coming out in Novermber. Good director, originally written by a Vet. Looks like it could have a lot of potential.

I believe a few ootiots were in the Gulf, I'd be very interested to hear their responses to the film.

Shajen
09-16-2005, 10:24 AM
Looks like they got a lot of the terrain and the oil fires correct, but that's not hard to do. I wonder if they'll talk about the stench...it was so bad. Clings to your nose.

I dunno how I feel about Jamie Foxx as a platoon sgt (or Company Commander, or whatever, didn't see his rank) but he hit a homerun in Ray.

Gyllenhaal seems to be a good young actor.

I really hope the message in this movie isn't political. It doesn't look it, but we'll see.

I'll definitely see this movie though. Thanks for the link.

sfer
09-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Based on the nonfiction book from a couple of years ago? I don't think that book will translate into a movie.

jason_t
09-16-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on the nonfiction book from a couple of years ago? I don't think that book will translate into a movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I agree.

thatpfunk
09-16-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not familiar with the book, but I assume you are thinking of the correct one. Would you mind expanding?

swede123
09-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Based on the trailer I'm cautiously optimistic about this movie. I like Sam Mendes' earlier movies, and the cast is pretty damn solid. Now if it can just stay away from silly political bias it might be one of the better movies of the year.

Swede

Shajen
09-16-2005, 11:23 AM
the book was about day to day life of a grunt during the Gulf War.

If they get political, it'll be far from the actual meaning of the book. I'm hoping they don't, because no one I knew in the Corps gave two shits about politics, except when it came to our salaries.

tdarko
09-16-2005, 11:26 AM
american beauty was fantastic. Jake Gyllenhaall keeps doing great work. foxx keeps doing great work. peter sarsgard does great films. chirs cooper well [censored] that guy kicks [censored] ass! gulf is an interesting yet maybe controversial topic.

i am very interested.

thatpfunk
09-16-2005, 11:27 AM
It didn't look too political and I hope it attempts to just be strictly realistic.

Shajen, what did you think of Three Kings? Definetly not a story about every day Gulf-type things and fictional, but still interested in your comments.

sfer
09-16-2005, 11:28 AM
The book is about being a Marine in the sense that it's all about Anthony Swofford simultaneously hating it and loving it, and about the absurdity of most of it. Really it's largely internal and psychological. His actual fighting in the Gulf War is minimal. I mean minimal. It would translate into roughly 12 minutes in an 90 minute movie. Here's an Amazon linky. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743244915/qid=1126884210/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2732451-3564810?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Shajen
09-16-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It didn't look too political and I hope it attempts to just be strictly realistic.

Shajen, what did you think of Three Kings? Definetly not a story about every day Gulf-type things and fictional, but still interested in your comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't like the 3 kings, because it sucked as a movie.

As far as the war back drop, it was meh. The movie itself wasn't all that good.

I don't remember if it was based on the guys who found a bunch of loot and got busted for it or not. I know the ending was pathetic though, what with the guy not being able to breathe and all that. I watched it once, but won't see it again. If it were on tv, I'd change the channel. Yup, that's about it.

Rick Nebiolo
09-16-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The book is about being a Marine in the sense that it's all about Anthony Swofford simultaneously hating it and loving it, and about the absurdity of most of it. Really it's largely internal and psychological. His actual fighting in the Gulf War is minimal. I mean minimal. It would translate into roughly 12 minutes in an 90 minute movie. Here's an Amazon linky. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743244915/qid=1126884210/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2732451-3564810?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

[/ QUOTE ]

You nailed it.

Also good link. The Amazon user reviews are worth a read given Swofford's book pushed a lot of buttons.

Anyway, after seeing the trailer I got the book about a month ago and read it about as fast as I've ever read a book. Definitely an enjoyable read despite Swofford's self-indulgence.

Question: When Jarhead came out in 2003 it was reviewed with another book on the Marines and the Gulf War. I'm looking for that other book. I read the reviews in a hard copy on my porch so it had to be Newsweek, The Atlantic Monthly, or perhaps the LA Times. What I'm trying to ask is does anybody remember the similar book about the Marine Corp and first Gulf War that came out in 2003?

~ Rick

PS My guess is the movie will be worth seeing.

jakethebake
09-16-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't like the 3 kings, because it sucked as a movie.

As far as the war back drop, it was meh. The movie itself wasn't all that good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The script absolutely stank. I hated it. Although there were some things in that movie that I remember thinking were pretty realistic.