PDA

View Full Version : Hand from a SSNL scrub

11t
09-16-2005, 09:44 AM
So I recently moved from SNG's to SSNL 6-max. No reads on player since he sat down like 2 hands ago. Is this standard or do I play like a girl?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($109.35)
Button ($41.50)
SB ($32.82)
BB ($123.80)
UTG ($7.75)
MP ($25.80)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $5.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $5, UTG folds, MP folds, Hero calls $2.50.

Flop: ($17.75) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $13</font>, Button calls $36 (All-In), BB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $66.75

trumpman84
09-16-2005, 10:19 AM
If you're planning on folding to a raise anyway, I'd bet smaller... 1/3 to 1/2 the pot..I don't think you need to protect your hand here with a bigger bet at all. After he pushes, you're getting almsot 3 to 1, so you could argue on a call. There is not much you are beating here against a solid player, but against some online players, you could be ahead. It's a difficult spot, which is why I'd bet smaller to begin with to give myself an easier fold if he raised.

MTBlue
09-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Don't call the raise preflop standard opponents reraising range has you dominated. As it is I think you gotta call for the all-in bet generally people mess up more than 25% of time. If you chose to call the reraise preflop check calling is a much better option than betting.

09-16-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't call the raise preflop standard opponents reraising range has you dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play any ring games, but I wanna start. I come from a SNG/MTT background, and not a great one at that /images/graemlins/wink.gif All that being said... 6max table, the CO raising 2 limpers into the Button who minreraises is going to be reliably beat here?

Can you flesh this out a little more, or is this just common 6max NL knowledge that I'll come to understand as I read more/play more?

BBD
09-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Nice fold. Probably were up against A-K.

BBD
09-16-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice fold. Probably were up against A-K.

[/ QUOTE ]

or better, even. (although why would J-J push here? wouldn't he/she like to give you some rope in this spot?)

xorbie
09-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Check/calling this flop is better. If he checks behind, lead turn, fold to raise. If he bets, call and then check the turn again. If he bets again, probably fold. You can frequently tell from the flop bet what they have... KK/QQ = half pot or less, AK/AJ = more.

ajmargarine
09-16-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't call the raise preflop standard opponents reraising range has you dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

You call the minraise PF with any two. Calling $2.50, pot is ~$10, giving you 4:1 in a HU pot. I'd probably c/c the flop also for the reasons our faithful moderator points out.

09-16-2005, 05:33 PM
With no read, I think you can go either or. I would probably choose folding here, only because, as Shakespeare said, "discretion is the better part of valor." Your hand is pretty good shorthanded, I would have to think he can only reraise you preflop with a better hand. AA or AK. If he had jacks, he would've just called to let you keep betting the hand for him. Same if he had AJ. You probably should've checked to see what he would do and then bet on the turn. If I chose to call the all in it would only be because, for whatever reasons, jokers at the $1-2 NL tables hate pot-sized raises on the flop and always reraise all in with any piece of the flop middle pair and up. I don't know why they do it, but they have no respect for the raiser. If you get such a read on the villan, then I would call that every time. When I have a hand such as yours and I'm playing at that limit, which I do from time to time, and I'm up against such a player, I call because you'll often see things like J10, J9, KJ, QJ and you have him crushed.
Also, keep your eye on the BB. What the heck was he calling a raise and a reraise with out of position? You need to pick on that guy, that's where you're going to make your money.