PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a living ?

Niwa
09-16-2005, 08:40 AM
No doubt this has been discussed before and I have used the searchfunction but got no satisfying answers.

I would like to know what you guys here on MHNL do for a living or are studying to become.

Myself I should have started my lawstudies this year but I postponed it because I wasnt sure what I wanted to do jobwise in the future. I have thought alot and still arent sure what I want to do but Im leaning towards studying law here in Sweden.

AZK
09-16-2005, 11:13 AM
MD if I ever get into medical school....for now it's just studying and NOT playing poker. Ha.

Niwa
09-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Just me and AZK who are doing anything except playing poker? :>

greg nice
09-16-2005, 11:58 AM
i live for a living.

i know, its a novel concept for most.

BarronVangorToth
09-16-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just me and AZK who are doing anything except playing poker? :>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Oh, wait, no.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

mgsimpleton
09-16-2005, 12:19 PM
right now i'm in madrid doing a research project on gay marriage in spain and constitutional law. after that, i'm going into consulting. probably law school after that. dammit no time for professional poker!!!

ahnuld
09-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Student, going for degree in management, then the good ol' MBA. Although I did work at TCBY for a year before I quit in july to play more poker.

pinnie
09-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Studying law last year here in Finland. Income comes from poker.

HoldEmKillah
09-16-2005, 01:28 PM
I work for a drug co. doing security and regulatory compliance. I basically make sure the employees don't steal and then make sure the co. doens't break any OSHA, DOT, DEA laws.

BUT...big layoffs here over the last week. They eliminated the whole finance and customer service departments totalling 35 or so people. They are consolidating deptartments in corporate. Phaseout to be complete by years' end. I believe my department is next. I've been here just under 9 years, have a 2 yr old and another on the way. Thank god for poker or else I'd be a stressbasket right now. If I do lose my job I'll probably try playing for a living for awhile and see how it goes (save that topic for another time /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

TheWorstPlayer
09-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Management consultant.

BobboFitos
09-16-2005, 02:02 PM
college student

was engineering, now it's /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

but probably acting or communications

anduril
09-16-2005, 02:09 PM
I think I'm the only 2+2er with some kind of medical degree. I'm an Athletic Trainer. NOT a gym teacher, NOT a personal trainer, NOT a physical therapist. For those who don't know, an Athletic Trainer is the guy on tv that runs onto the field when players get injured and take care of them on a daily basis.

09-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Mechanical Engineering

TheWorstPlayer
09-16-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm the only 2+2er with some kind of medical degree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, this is so not even close. Matt Flynn is a doctor. And let's guess what surfdoc's profession is... I'm sure there are tons of others.

[ QUOTE ]
For those who don't know, an Athletic Trainer is the guy on tv that runs onto the field when players get injured and take care of them on a daily basis.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does it suck when you have to 'work out' a guy's groin pull? Cause I saw some dude on TV working on Deion Sanders a few years ago and figured that must be the worst job in the world.

anduril
09-16-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Does it suck when you have to 'work out' a guy's groin pull? Cause I saw some dude on TV working on Deion Sanders a few years ago and figured that must be the worst job in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

depends. I worked briefly with the NFL and will never do it again. They work 90 hr weeks and rarely get even a day off while traveling a ton. I work at a high school avging 32 hrs/week traveling only with varsity football 5 times/year and make about the same as the assistant for the Patriots.

"working out" a groin pull is what massage therapists do. If Deion Sanders asked me to I'd kick him in the balls and quit.

anduril
09-16-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this is so not even close. Matt Flynn is a doctor. And let's guess what surfdoc's profession is... I'm sure there are tons of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of doctor is Matt Flynn/surfdoc?

TheWorstPlayer
09-16-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel a little weird discussing other people, but since my knowledge only comes from reading these boards, I guess it's okay. Anyways, MF is a dermatologist and surfdoc works in an ER, but I'm not sure what his specialty is.

Yeti
09-16-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm the only 2+2er with some kind of medical degree. I'm an Athletic Trainer. NOT a gym teacher, NOT a personal trainer, NOT a physical therapist. For those who don't know, an Athletic Trainer is the guy on tv that runs onto the field when players get injured and take care of them on a daily basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're the dude who carries water and a sponge?

anduril
09-16-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
surfdoc works in an ER, but I'm not sure what his specialty is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing he's and ER doctor. Otherwise he'd have to be a radiologist.

Niwa
09-16-2005, 03:21 PM
That is a very important job.

gomberg
09-16-2005, 03:46 PM
I program automated trading systems for a proprietary trading firm. This industry is fun as poker is looked up upon.

JMP300z
09-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Ill have a medical degree in 2 yrs.. DMD....dental school in augusta GA.

Shame on you for thinking your the only person w/the desire to help others, aww who am i kidding, im becoming a doctor for the same 4 reasons as everyone :Chicks, Money, Power, and Chicks.

-JP

Go_Blue88
09-16-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm a doubling in English + Philosophy cause I'm cool like that

LuvDemNutz
09-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Corporate Finance -

although I am currently unemployed /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Richie Rich
09-16-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If those don't happen to work out for you, three other applicable majors that will prepare you for the real world are Psychology, French, and Geology.

amoeba
09-16-2005, 06:43 PM
electrical engineering.

ezratei
09-16-2005, 06:59 PM
does anyone know what Pachenga does for a living?

emil3000
09-16-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm the only 2+2er with some kind of medical degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sometimes I feel like half this board are MDs or med students. I am the student kind myself.

edge
09-16-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm a third-year psychology student. LOL THAT MUST BE GOOD FOR POKER HUH

I get that a lot. It really doesn't translate to poker in any way.

ninjia3x
09-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Anyone from University of Waterloo?

beset7
09-16-2005, 10:25 PM
A year and a half of law school left. Job prospects are good. Supporting a family of four playing poker and I can't wait to stop.

Prevaricator
09-16-2005, 10:29 PM
philosophy and maybe minor in else.

Used to be math, but was too time consuming, then switched to finance, that was too boring.

Dunno, maybe ill get a physics minor or something, because that stuff interests me.

anduril
09-16-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno what sponge you speak of, but usually interns and students are the waterboys. One of the big reasons an internship in pro sports blows.

Big_Jim
09-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Software Engineering.

http://www.cdmtech.com/

xorbie
09-17-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
philosophy and maybe minor in else.

Used to be math, but was too time consuming, then switched to finance, that was too boring.

Dunno, maybe ill get a physics minor or something, because that stuff interests me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a math major.. it's like the opposite of time consuming.
Physics is cool though.

raptor517
09-17-2005, 12:20 AM
i kinda go to school.. college classes are a chore right now.. too many requirements. holla

Isura
09-17-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm a math major.. it's like the opposite of time consuming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know where you go to school... But my math courses (pure math) were the most time consuming in undergrad.

BobboFitos
09-17-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If those don't happen to work out for you, three other applicable majors that will prepare you for the real world are Psychology, French, and Geology.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, i can always dream of being an actor.

atleast i wont have to wait tables, i can play poker in the meantime /images/graemlins/smile.gif

09-17-2005, 01:04 AM
Physics is the hardest major at my school, then EE next ME, thats what i fit in. i might double major in ME and EE

Seputro
09-17-2005, 02:01 AM
Medical School.

I go to about 10% of classes. The other 90% I download the recordings and listen to them at 1.5x the speed to increase the efficiency of my time.

Previously I was a health care consultant before I got bored.

Lucky
09-17-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Athletic Trainers are the ones who DONT offer massage w/release right?

KaneKungFu123
09-17-2005, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ill have a medical degree in 2 yrs.. DMD....dental school in augusta GA.

Shame on you for thinking your the only person w/the desire to help others, aww who am i kidding, im becoming a doctor for the same 4 reasons as everyone :Chicks, Money, Power, and Chicks.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean by power?

KaneKungFu123
09-17-2005, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i thought matt flynn was a race car driver.

fsuplayer
09-17-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i thought matt flynn was a race car driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's a dermatologist, which im sure is just as exciting.

Prevaricator
09-17-2005, 11:53 AM
math and philosophy adds up to a lot of courses, plus math is kind of dull.

Your Mom
09-17-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Medical School.

I go to about 10% of classes. The other 90% I download the recordings and listen to them at 1.5x the speed to increase the efficiency of my time.

Previously I was a health care consultant before I got bored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this makes me feel good.

captZEEbo1
09-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Doesn't sound like we have a lot of pro poker players out there...

That's ME! I'm also working on getting a math degree part time for who knows what reason.

Niwa
09-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Poker is my only income and I make more than enough to pay for my life but I wouldnt say Im a professional pokerplayer.

Yeti
09-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Student doing a Maths degree.

okayplayer
09-17-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That's ME!

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too.

BobboFitos
09-17-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That's ME!

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey man, school is cool

Seputro
09-17-2005, 02:32 PM
?

Go_Blue88
09-17-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
math and philosophy adds up to a lot of courses, plus math is kind of dull.

[/ QUOTE ]

Philosophy is a ton of work, and I think that many of the readings get pretty tedious towards the end of the semester.

Niwa
09-17-2005, 02:58 PM
word.

captZEEbo1
09-17-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]aka I'm not from the U.S. and PROUD of it!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is my only income and I make more than enough to pay for my life but I wouldnt say Im a professional pokerplayer.

[/ QUOTE ]Why not? What is your profession then? Do you consider yourself one of the lucky ones who are enemployed and making more than 40k/yr?

fsuplayer
09-17-2005, 03:42 PM
i just graduated with a finance degree (which is so freaking boring, dont know why i majored in it), and am waiting for my fiance to finish school.

we are moving to near boulder, CO in late spring/early summer next year, where i will try and find a job i dont hate, and one that lets me have time to play poker on the side.

BobboFitos
09-17-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just graduated with a finance degree (which is so freaking boring, dont know why i majored in it), and am waiting for my fiance to finish school.

we are moving to near boulder, CO in late spring/early summer next year, where i will try and find a job i dont hate, and one that lets me have time to play poker on the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

freakin' hippy

=)

tommo
09-17-2005, 03:45 PM
traditional mathematics, theoretical physics, economics are my majors and I am probably minoring in chinese.

anduril
09-17-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on what type of release you're looking for. Terry Glenn once asked me to massage his shoulders before a walk-through. I told him to pony up $500 or I could find a callgirl that would be more exciting for him. Sidenote: Terry Glenn is widely known as one of the biggest dickheads in the NFL.

fsuplayer
09-17-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

freakin' hippy

=)

[/ QUOTE ]

no kidding, i feel like i need to start smoking alot of pot. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

KaneKungFu123
09-17-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on what type of release you're looking for. Terry Glenn once asked me to massage his shoulders before a walk-through. I told him to pony up $500 or I could find a callgirl that would be more exciting for him. Sidenote: Terry Glenn is widely known as one of the biggest dickheads in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

after that you were demoted to the laundry room.

Rootabager
09-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Pimple Popper M.D.

anduril
09-17-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

after that you were demoted to the laundry room.

[/ QUOTE ]

after that I got a ^5 from Ted Johnson because he hated Glenn also.

kagame
09-18-2005, 03:29 AM
ill trade you for my political science degree

comeon man the stock market is more gambling than poker

excitement

uhhm im playing professionally next year after i graduate

i even have a really good gpa but wtf

make a 100k min playing poker on easy hours

invest almost all of it in the market

im going to be rich

SGS
09-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Student, finance major.

SGS

mgsimpleton
09-18-2005, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im going to be rich

[/ QUOTE ]

and then what?

personally, i would never be a pro poker player or work in the stock market because i think it's a culture competely obsessed with money, which is something i could never understand.

lennytheduck
09-18-2005, 09:36 AM
BioChemistry is harder than all three and it's not even close. As far as graudate level physics goes, I will agree with you there.

lennytheduck
09-18-2005, 09:38 AM
sounds like you're in professional denial.

RUSE
09-18-2005, 10:02 AM
International law degree but bored with that. Currently studying psych and phil with some hist kicked in. Haven't a clue. Poker pays for my deliberation time (and tuition). Would like to live someplace else for a couple of months and continue my drifting there.

KaneKungFu123
09-18-2005, 10:46 AM
this thread is flawed in that people with good degree/job are more likely to respsond.

barongreenback
09-18-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've found myself saying math lately. Even my brain is being Americanis(z)ed. I'm going to the UN.

09-18-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
^5

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, my brain just exploded. Thanks.

Sponger15SB
09-18-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno what sponge you speak of, but usually interns and students are the waterboys. One of the big reasons an internship in pro sports blows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with carrying a sponge

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kagame
09-18-2005, 03:53 PM
im obsessed with performance

with money you can do almost anything you want

no value in itself, its the doors it opens

AZK
09-18-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
personally, i would never be a pro poker player or work in the stock market because i think it's a culture competely obsessed with money, which is something i could never understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you spend an ungodly amount of time studying/playing a game where your goal is nothing but to take money from other people.

Ryendal
09-18-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Yet you spend an ungodly amount of time studying/playing a game where your goal is nothing but to take money from other people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would wish to defend the cause of a poker pro.
In my natural language it's not so easy to explain why I keep honor with what I do, even when they are very "clever" but more very " in a system "

ZeroHour
09-18-2005, 06:12 PM
IT/strategy consultant

-ZeroHour

Cancuk
09-18-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cultural studies?

Marlow
09-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Educational designer in higher education. I build and help instructors build pedagogically sound online courses. And actually, I just got a new job!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I want to hear from more poker pros. We've only heard from 3 or 4 so far. There GOTTA be a large number of pros on this forum... no?

Marlow

ryanghall
09-18-2005, 08:52 PM
I teach high school.

AceHiStation
09-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Graduated from RIT with a BS in Information Technology... doing IT bitchwork for the next 3 months at $8/hr, after that its time to find a decent IT job in a new city, open to suggestions.

Leptyne
09-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Own a glass company. We do glass replacement and service work in high-rise and commercial buildings. No auto glass, no residential work. Have dreams of becoming a semi-pro.

nigelloring
09-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Who do you work for gomberg?

I work for a proprietary trading company in Chicago here too, and we're always on the lookout for new programming or trading talent. Poker playing's a big plus!

PM me if you wanna talk.

raptor517
09-19-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Educational designer in higher education. I build and help instructors build pedagogically sound online courses. And actually, I just got a new job!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I want to hear from more poker pros. We've only heard from 3 or 4 so far. There GOTTA be a large number of pros on this forum... no?

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of em are still in college. holla

SurfNirvana
09-30-2005, 06:12 PM
when i go bust, I am an RN. When I have a decent Br, I live free, playin poker all over the country.

mason55
09-30-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Graduated from RIT with a BS in Information Technology... doing IT bitchwork for the next 3 months at $8/hr, after that its time to find a decent IT job in a new city, open to suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ewww.... another RIT grad...

Working in DC as a programmer for the DoD with my computer science degree.

Moving to LA for law school next year.

Matt Flynn
09-30-2005, 10:56 PM
no, quarterback

VanVeen
10-01-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm a professional poker player. I play 60 hours a week. I took math and (analytic) philosophy for one semester before giving up on school.

Judging by the rate at which I am making money, I will never have or need another job.

warlockjd
10-01-2005, 02:16 AM
I majored in Finance and Accounting, minor in Economics.

Five years in the corporate world cured me of that.

Last 2 years, professional poker player, averaging probably 20-5 hours a week.

Damn, I'm lazy

RikaKazak
10-01-2005, 05:11 AM
I just started a real estate investment corporation with my dad. I'm taking all my extra poker money (I play poker for a living) and really trying to speed up the corporation to a multi million dollar one before 2015. 2015 is my goal to quite playing poker for living expenses and do it just for fun.

RikaKazak
10-01-2005, 05:36 AM
kagame, I agree, do real estate/market and I'm the same as you /images/graemlins/smile.gif