PDA

View Full Version : A simple and misplayed AKs $11

ayecappy
09-16-2005, 08:36 AM
$11
First or second hand(blinds 10/15, ten handed), everyone have $800 basically.
Im dealt A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

UTG folds
UTG+1 makes it $125
HERO(UTG+2) minraise to $250
Everyone folds to UTG+1 who calls.

Pot $525
FLOP: 3 /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG+1 moves in for rest of his money and has me exactly covered and i fold.

Obviously very poorly played by me. Here's my thoughts:
Preflop: I should have either pushed or called preflop because if i mini-raise(or raise other amount without pushing) I:

a.open up for original bettor to push me allin which i have to call, you simply dont raise a big portion of your stack to fold for a raise, especially not an UTG raiser in level1.

b.lose more if someone behinds pushes or reraises and the original bettor calls/pushes.

c. Building a pot preflop against a poor player who figures to pay me off post-flop ANYWAY can't be that good? I do have position.

d.A smaller pot gives me more room to outplay my opponent more post-flop since you arent pot committed to the same extent.(?)

Post flop there arent much more to do than to fold right? I mean almost half the deck has hit better than my AKs did. Noone think i can fold this preflop either since i have a great hand and these opponents play horribly postflop and figures to pay off dearly.

Any thoughts? I have started reviewing alot of my hands lately and i'd like to be put on the right track =)

Pete H
09-16-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously very poorly played by me. Here's my thoughts:
Preflop: I should have either pushed or called preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate minraising (in most cases) and you already know that you don't accomplish anything with it. Villain ain't going to fold and it actually makes his post flop play easier.

And as I don't like to call 125 out of 800 chips, I would push this every time at the 11's.

[ QUOTE ]

Post flop there arent much more to do than to fold right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I'd only call his push if one of those fine ladies Yugo keeps posting would offer some quality time.

tshort
09-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Min-raising is definitely bad, but you have to fold post flop.

In this situation, I would push pre-flop. Most of the time he will call the all-in, but will fold occasionally after using his entire time bank. I doubt he is open raising to 125 with AA or KK. A few times it will be a toss up vs a lower pocket pair. Most of the time I think you will dominate or lead him.

If the villian's raise were to about 60, I would call and play the flop.

45suited
09-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Fold PF.

He raised over 8 X BB pre-flop from EP. You may have him dominated, but it's an 11, he may have a low PP as well. Being an 11, you likely don't have nearly the FE that you think that you do. I think that the vast majority of the time, he's calling a push here.

I think his most likely holding is some crappy PP here, now you're racing with a guy who you could easily outplay later. If you must play the hand, just call, play the hand with position.

But really, there's no reason to get involved here.

BobK
09-16-2005, 11:10 AM
I agree with 45.

Think about it. What hand is worth an 8X raise in his position?

None.

There might even be a premium pair behind you.

Do you really want to get in a likely 50-50 race against someone that doesn't understand? Half the time you'll get beat and then end up watching as the rest of the table slowly carves up both his and your chips.

If you can't resist playing, just call and be willing to give it up if nothing develops after the flop.