PDA

View Full Version : Reraising with AK?

09-16-2005, 07:46 AM
I realize that there is never any right or wrong way to play a hand however, all things being equal, is it a correct play to reraise with ak preflop in a heads up pot? I typically just flat call but have seen some people do it with some success.

09-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Absolutely reraise. You can raise in headsup with really marginal hands so you could be playing anything - suited connectors, small pair, Ax, etc. Worst case against a smaller pair is usually a coinflip pre-flop and the chances are you're dominating someone from the off.

Just my point of view. Plus you have a better bluffing opportunity post flop if you come out strong.

Be more than happy to be called wrong on this by the more experienced people.

lozen
09-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Alawys reraise and even better if you have position plus if he caps you gain even more info

OrangeKing
09-16-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I realize that there is never any right or wrong way to play a hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I almost always am willing to go as far as capping with AK heads up or multiway.

Abbaddabba
09-16-2005, 01:35 PM
3bet or cap in position.

Possibly just call from the bb if it's an UTG raise and no one has entered the pot for deception value. If you 3bet and he holds a hand that you have dominated, he'll slow down in a kicker war pretty fast - so foregoing the equity edge preflop can be worthwhile. If he has a pocket pair, you arent pushing an equity edge and you have far greater visibility.

If someone else enters the pot with the PFR, i 3bet for value since deception has significantly less value in multiway pots.

Onaflag
09-16-2005, 02:00 PM
HU in a HU game?
HU in a SH game?
HU in a full ring game?

Answers will be different for each scenario. Please specify. Whichever you choose, flat calling is most likely wrong and re-raising is probably correct. Who has position when the flop comes out? Is villian a rock who will not re-raise without a big pocket pair? What is your image right now?

A quality answer needs much more information.

Onaflag.........

ChuckyB
09-18-2005, 05:51 AM
Unless you see that he has AA or KK...it's always acceptable to reraise.

09-18-2005, 10:13 PM
i've found that if you are confident with AK, then it wins it's share of pots. if you are scared with it, it loses. but you have to be able to identify when anotehr holds AA or KK.

SmackinYaUp
09-19-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HU in a HU game?
HU in a SH game?
HU in a full ring game?

Answers will be different for each scenario. Please specify. Whichever you choose, flat calling is most likely wrong and re-raising is probably correct. Who has position when the flop comes out? Is villian a rock who will not re-raise without a big pocket pair? What is your image right now?

A quality answer needs much more information.

Onaflag.........

[/ QUOTE ]

HU in a HU limt game? HU in a HU no-limit game?
HU in a SH limit game? HU in a SH no-limit game
HU in a full ring limit game? HU in a full ring no-limit game?

Some people still play NL too.