PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad spot for a flop check/raise

Pharity
09-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Bet or c/r?

Two of the players to my left are aggressive (no maniacs), and two are passive.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero?..

Final Pot: 6 BB

aK13
09-16-2005, 06:50 AM
Bet, so you can cap.

Nick C
09-16-2005, 06:52 AM
I would lead, hoping to get raised.

thesharpie
09-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Bet. Checking would be a pot building move.

Pharity
09-16-2005, 07:52 AM
Yes, if the pot came from my left, but if someone bet from late position checkraising would be superior to betting considering a bet would give them 1:13, right? I don't want hands that can make profitable calls (about 3 outs) when i can avoid it. The problem is when the bet comes from my left, then i wish i had been betting instead.

Nick Royale
09-17-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want hands that can make profitable calls (about 3 outs) when i can avoid it.

[/ QUOTE ]
And we don't want them to get a free card. Besides we might get raised giving them even worse odds.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, if the pot came from my left, but if someone bet from late position checkraising would be superior to betting considering a bet would give them 1:13, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Since we don't know the position of the aggressive and passive players in this pot it's hard to know. But if the aggressive are in late position the check/raise would look better. But still, I'm aggressive and there are tons of hands I will be checking for a freecard on this flop. In general it's better to bet out as the pfr when you hit the flop, the chance that somebody else does it is reduced.

09-17-2005, 01:59 PM
i am the minority here but i think this is a perfect spot for a check raise. your first concern here should be protecting your hand. a bet in no way accomplishes this as any 4 outter can profitably call.

your hand in vulnerable and you deffinantly need to knock players out. i would check then raise a bet from late position. also check raising gives you control of the hand

with this many players to act after you, i think it is very unlikely that this will get checked through (i think any LP overcards would probably bet here) and you said that there were some aggressive players are yet to act

protect your hand, c/r the flop.

09-18-2005, 06:07 PM
_________ a quick TIMEOUT here___________

found this quote last week in Theory, too late to reply to you

"WOW i know that girl. i went to high school with her in florida. small world.

her name is (xtina h), and that came off an internet modeling site right?

oh yea, she loved to get wasted and share those magnificent tits with the rest of the party back in the day."

double WOW, inquiring minds want to know, tell us more. fer example, how did she "share" them? all the juicy details pleeeeeeezzzee bro, i'm beggin ya
(sits up on hind legs like a doggy, panting, tongue hanging out)

Dagger78
09-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Go ahead and bet, no reason to believe anyone will bet if you check. Having this checked through is a disaster. You can't protect your hand, therefore you have to bet for value.

Dagger78
09-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Why do you think someone will bet if you check? Who will that be? What happens if the person to your left bets? You need to play this straightforward and hope the person holding QJ raises so we can 3 bet.

There is no way to protect your hand reliably, therefore bet for value.

newhizzle
09-18-2005, 09:12 PM
you were the PF raiser, therefore you need to bet, if there was no raiser, id also bet, if someone else was the raiser, i check/raise