PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a friendly game

three1ne
09-16-2005, 05:13 AM
Morning, I just wanted to check something about pot limit.

person A bets £2 into a £2 flop. Person B wants to raise pot.
Am I correct in thinking his raise would make the pot £16 or would it total £8?

We are organising a small friendly game for our holiday, 2 experienced players and up to 4 more who rarely ever play. We want to keep it friendly.

I am thinking £2-5 tournaments and a cash game with a £5-20 buy in with blinds 1/100th of the starting stacks? Would antees be better here? Sound good?

Also pot limit may be a bit too steep for some but limit is too boring for a fun game. Is there a modification we could employ here? May be you could only reraise half the pot as a max??

Shaun

Lottery Larry
09-16-2005, 08:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
person A bets £2 into a £2 flop. Person B wants to raise pot.
Am I correct in thinking his raise would make the pot £16 or would it total £8?

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither. B's total bet is L8, pot would be L12 (sorry, I don't remember the ASCII for pound symbol). B calls the L2 bet and raises what is now in the pot (L6)

"I am thinking £2-5 tournaments and a cash game with a £5-20 buy in with blinds 1/100th of the starting stacks? Would antees be better here? Sound good?"

Sounds fine- check the blind progression on the tourneys.

"Also pot limit may be a bit too steep for some but limit is too boring for a fun game. Is there a modification we could employ here? May be you could only reraise half the pot as a max??"

You should be at some of our "boring" limit games. Half-pot is an option. You could max the number of raises at 4. Anything you want.
Big bet games tend to flush away money pretty quickly, so if you want to stretch it out and have fun, limit might be better for your group.

stevea
09-16-2005, 10:53 AM
I say do tournaments as people will get to play more for the amount of money they invest.

steve
<font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font> (http://www.homepokerclub.net/clubhome.php?clubid=1)

Lottery Larry
09-16-2005, 11:04 AM
"as people will get to play more for the amount of money they invest"

You've never busted out on the first hand of a tournament, have you?

stevea
09-16-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope...but I see your point. Still the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

steve
<font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font> (http://www.homepokerclub.net/clubhome.php?clubid=1)

spaminator101
09-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Neither have I, I always tend to get such trash at the begining of a tourney.

three1ne
09-16-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks Lottery Larry and everyone else with useful advice.

Regards.

JonPKibble
09-18-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"as people will get to play more for the amount of money they invest"

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the exception, not the rule. Besides, that can happen in a cash game too. The solution is easy, allow rebuys in the first hour.