PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm shift on 9/11

Allinlife
09-16-2005, 03:31 AM
I read this couple of days ago on the paper.

A lost opportunity- 9/11 (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&c id=1126131012466&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=ye s)

Discuss

Dynasty
09-16-2005, 03:48 AM
Which part of the article is more out of touch with the reality of the world?

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that had President Bush, leader and spokesperson for the most powerful country in the world, offered forgiveness to those who planned and carried out the attacks of Sept. 11, it would have led to the most significant shift ever toward world peace.

Instead of riots in the streets of America I believe there would have been a revelation in the hearts of Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

or

[ QUOTE ]
Most terrorists have a strong ethical code. They know and respect the value of human life — at least as it applies to their family, friends and members of their own communities. They are able to perform the evil deeds because they have convinced themselves that those they kill are, in fact, less than human...

Around the world enemies of the United States would have been incapacitated by their own case of cognitive dissonance as they were forced to admit: Americans are human after all. As their beliefs about Americans changed, so too would their actions have changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter666
09-16-2005, 04:20 AM
I live in Toronto. I use the Toronto Star for kindling, and take any possible opportunity to deface it.

4_2_it
09-16-2005, 08:49 AM
The real question is would Presdient Bush forgive the terrorists if they exhibited a few practices from their 'strong ethical code' on the writer of that nonsense.

Bluffoon
09-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Im not a big fan of the war on terror but this is horribly naive and misguided.

Malachii
09-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Total political suicide. I have absolutely no problem with our invasion of Afghanistan. I have a problem with baby Bush sending young men off to die for oil and as retribution for Sadaam attempting to assassinate his father. Bush was discussing the invasion of Iraq before 9/11 even came about... 9/11 simply provided him with a convenient excuse.

Dominic
09-17-2005, 12:43 AM
stupidest thing I've ever read.
And I've read Pamela Anderson's book.

Dynasty
09-17-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupidest thing I've ever read.

Dominic
09-17-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupidest thing I've ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]

then you get my point.

snakehead
09-17-2005, 02:30 PM
what I can't understand is that you immediately move posts from oot when they don't belong there, but this thread doesn't belong here and you get involved like it doesn't matter.

JihadOnTheRiver
09-17-2005, 03:33 PM
I think this is an excellent article. It gives me more reason to curl up into my little "America is great and everybody else can suck our as.s" ball. Oh, and Canada sucks...

Quicksilvre
09-17-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Instead of riots in the streets of America I believe there would have been a revelation in the hearts of Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss something? I don't recall any riots in America after 9/11.

Dynasty
09-17-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...this thread doesn't belong here and you get involved like it doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing I can do about this thread. My mod powers don't allow me to move/delete/edit outside of the OOT and WPT forums.

As for moving stuff out of OOT, I would only do that with a thread that is poker (or sports or politics) related. A good example of such a thread is one that openly acknowledges in the title that it "It's KIND of PO*ER related"

Clarkmeister
09-18-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Which part of the article is more out of touch with the reality of the world?

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that had President Bush, leader and spokesperson for the most powerful country in the world, offered forgiveness to those who planned and carried out the attacks of Sept. 11, it would have led to the most significant shift ever toward world peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

or

[ QUOTE ]
Most terrorists have a strong ethical code. They know and respect the value of human life — at least as it applies to their family, friends and members of their own communities. They are able to perform the evil deeds because they have convinced themselves that those they kill are, in fact, less than human...

Around the world enemies of the United States would have been incapacitated by their own case of cognitive dissonance as they were forced to admit: Americans are human after all. As their beliefs about Americans changed, so too would their actions have changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow

jokerthief
09-18-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A good example of such a thread is one that openly acknowledges in the title that it "It's KIND of PO*ER related"

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, you know you [censored] up on this one. I can understand if you didn't follow the Chuddo thread but that post would only have any meaning to the OOT crowd.

snakehead
09-18-2005, 02:48 AM
I couldn't care less about what you do on oot. my point is that as a moderator you should be responsible enough to not encourage posting in the wrong forum by getting involved in the thread.

Clarkmeister
09-18-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't care less about what you do on oot. my point is that as a moderator you should be responsible enough to not encourage posting in the wrong forum by getting involved in the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon man, you're taking the moderating thing a bit too seriously. But then again, so do most. I still think they are more or less unnecessary.

snakehead
09-18-2005, 03:05 AM
I still think they are more or less unnecessary.

I agree, but since they are officials at the site, I think it's reasonble to hold them to a higher standard. besides, he's a real stickler about non-oot posts and things he thinks are unnecessary on the wpt forum.

jokerthief
09-18-2005, 03:25 AM
There is no value in the WPT forum. Just save yourself the agony.

Eder
09-18-2005, 06:52 PM
This article makes me even more embarrased to be associated with what we politely refer to Eastern Canada. Please nuke them and their leftist paper. Thx.