PDA

View Full Version : I did the coolest thing EVER tonight!

Talk2BigSteve
09-16-2005, 02:36 AM
I am in college for Funeral Service Technology.

Tonight I embalmed a body. It was so AWESOME.

I am off to bed I have to work at 7am.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jgorham
09-16-2005, 02:37 AM
To each his own. Congrats, i suppose.

PoBoy321
09-16-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should sneak back in and SIIHP.

Eurotrash
09-16-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

watch out for the rigor mortis, you wouldn't want to end up like one of those Chinese finger traps.

lucas9000
09-16-2005, 02:41 AM
do you leave smelling of that embalming fluid stuff? i'd think that smell would just stick with you...like i imagine that fishmongers cannot get the smell of fish off themselves.

smokingrobot
09-16-2005, 03:03 AM
they cant. a friend of mine used to work on "team fish" at whole foods, healthy food grocery store lots of organic stuff, vegan vegetarian, organic grown produce... great stuff really, and would play in our college game. he would always show up reeking of fish... it would stay on him for days.

NobodysFreak
09-16-2005, 03:12 AM
POTD. Pics of a rotting corpse would be nice, but if the professor has issues, just leave it be. But seriously, pics would be nice.

TheBlueMonster
09-16-2005, 03:20 AM
creepy man, really creepy

samjjones
09-16-2005, 10:05 AM
http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/img/episode/ep38_david_nate.jpg

rusellmj
09-16-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm gonna go out an a limb here and assume this is a thrill that will be short lived.

09-16-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

watch out for the rigor mortis, you wouldn't want to end up like one of those Chinese finger traps.

[/ QUOTE ]
Once again, OOT rises to the challenge. I /images/graemlins/heart.gif u guyz.

tek
09-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Sklansky wants to know if you guys bone corpses. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Blarg
09-16-2005, 11:06 AM
I never stop wondering what's up with you, Steve, and posts like this make clear why.

How did you decide to go into this? Not exactly one of the top 200 choices that most people would sift through, or even have occur to them.

What are your goals? Do you want to own a funeral home? Have access to corpses? Be able to move easily among all levels of society, as long as they're dead?

Talk2BigSteve
09-16-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never stop wondering what's up with you, Steve, and posts like this make clear why.

How did you decide to go into this? Not exactly one of the top 200 choices that most people would sift through, or even have occur to them.

What are your goals? Do you want to own a funeral home? Have access to corpses? Be able to move easily among all levels of society, as long as they're dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg,

I already have a degree in Criminal Justice. I am going through this program so I am a Nationally Certified Funeral Director and Embalmer. I hope to one day have a Master's in Forensics. I had plans for the DEA or FBI but when I shattered my right leg with a 357 Magnum, I lost the ablity to walk for over 2 years...and with 25% Permenant Partial Impairment, I lost those plans as well.

To be quite honest, the Handicapped Forensic Pathologist on CSI actually snapped me out of my depression about my career goals and gave me something to shoot for.

I am very much a loner, I alway have been, part of it is just who I am, and part of it is being conceded. I am the person who hated doing group work in school, because (A) I always had to do it my way and (B) I refused to let my grades be dictated by the stupidiest person in the group.

I like jobs where I do not have to deal too much with the public, I would love to work as a Contract Embalmer. In a large city they work for several funeral homes or one large one and they are strictly the removal and prep room person.

I do not get disgusted easily. I am the person who can eat lasagna and scroll through Rotten.com and not be phased.

I do not want to own a funeral home. I am not a religious person by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have respect for the dead.

I hope that helps clear up some stuff. Anything else you want to know Blarg just ask or PM me.

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Blarg
09-16-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm always interested in your ongoing saga, Steve. It's had some unusual twists and turns, and sometimes you disappear for stretches and I wonder why, and then you come back with something startling. I think this qualifies. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Not a direction most would even think of.

Actually now I remember that a woman I knew some years ago was training to get into forensics. She was gay too.

Thanks for answering my questions and good luck in your new studies. It can be interesting how people can wind up picking such unusual courses in life. From what my friend told me, it supposedly is a good field in a lot of ways, with lots of demand and good money.

KDawgCometh
09-16-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had plans for the DEA or FBI but when I shattered my right leg with a 357 Magnum, I lost the ablity to walk for over 2 years...and with 25% Permenant Partial Impairment, I lost those plans as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to hear about this, like how on earth did your leg get shattered by a gun

Gomez22
09-17-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am going through this program so I am a Nationally Certified Funeral Director and Embalmer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to burst your bubble, Steve, but there IS NO SUCH thing as a Nationally Certified Funeral Director OR embalmer. Each state has it's own licensing requirements based on it's own merits, and to be licensed in different states, you must typically pass the state required test or apply for a reciprocal license, and also meet all continuing education requirements from each state individually.

Also, (again each state has it's own rules) most states require that you hold and obtain a license in another state for a certain period (from 2-5 years) before applying for a reciprocal license.

'Mez

FYI - Just so you know, I've been licensed to 8 years in Ohio, and been around "the business" all my life.

Blarg
09-17-2005, 03:43 AM
Are you anything like the Gomez in The Addams Family?

Somehow that show makes the name seem to fit the business.