PDA

View Full Version : Is this spewing or a decent play?

TheHammer24
09-16-2005, 01:28 AM
BB here is 37/8/1 550 hands

I know many of you will tell me not to open limp here, but lets not get caught up in that.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

If he raises pf AK-AT, 99-JJ, KQ. I'm ahead of 72 combos and behind 33. Is my logic flawed?

EDIT: Took away the action after my raise

09-16-2005, 01:34 AM
fold pre flop

hemstock
09-16-2005, 01:41 AM
Yes fold preflop.
Assuming that you did not, with MP2 still to act, Fold the flop.

Harv72b
09-16-2005, 01:47 AM
Depending on the table dynamics, I could see folding, limping, or raising with 55 there.

Regarding postflop, I think your logic is flawed. Most players won't raise from the blinds with anything less than a high pocket pair or AK, and this guy's 8% PFR doesn't suggest that he's pushing that envelope. When that K flops, I think you can safely get out of there.

SackUp
09-16-2005, 01:52 AM
Preflop is fine if you have the right talbe conditions.

I think this is a pretty easy fold on the flop. 2 overs and people still left to act, not a very good position to try making a move. Wait for another hand.

This play is more of a HU move and still not sure on how much I like it then though given his stats it is not the worst play.

09-16-2005, 02:09 AM
I don't like this. I think most players tighten up their raising standards from the blinds. And you have MP2 still to act behind you. I think it's a fold.

Bodhi
09-16-2005, 05:26 AM
I think this is spewing. You can't just count the combinations and decide you're ahead of more than half, therefore raise. That's just silly. So many cards can come to sink you on the later streets, and you have players yet to act behind you. In other words, you are suffering from severe reverse implied odds.

Nick C
09-16-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he raises pf AK-AT, 99-JJ, KQ. I'm ahead of 72 combos and behind 33. Is my logic flawed?

[/ QUOTE ]

For this range, I'm coming up with 48 combos you're beating (AQ-AT) and 42 combos that you're behind (everything else).

Including AJ-AT (without discounting) may be stretching things a bit. Also, we should include QQ-AA (15 combos), I think.

Possibly you can push him off of QQ-99, but I'm not so optimistic about that unless one of the players left to act gets involved, in which case BB's fold probably wouldn't help you.

09-16-2005, 07:30 AM
I think this i a clear fold. I am far from sure you are ahead here half the time, but even if you are, you have a hard hand to continue with.

The problem is that you are not necessarily folding out the BB and the other player with your raise when you are ahead, you will have to go to showdown some times. (If you play the hands this way only to fold everybody out, you obviously dont need the low pair anyway, and might as well make a stonecold bluff.)

When you do get callers, your hand will need protection on the turn, and if you bet and are called you dont know if you are ahead or against an 8, a K with medium/bad kicker or a better pp, plus your 55 is very wounderable to new overcards falling.

This means that your opposotion has every chance to make money when they have a better hand, and to loose less when they dont.

This is how I see it anyway.

09-16-2005, 09:30 AM
I noticed many of you advocated folding the low PP preflop. I recall reading in SSHE that limping from virtually anywhere with a PP is okay. Can someone please explain the reasoning behind folding here? When would it be okay to play 66s and below then?

brettbrettr
09-16-2005, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
raise pre flop

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp.

jskills
09-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Fold that flop. How can you really think you're ahead here? BB raised preflop and bet the flop that contained a K.

Save your money for another hand.

09-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Well for one your not just limping your calling two bets against a BB raise. Looking at this guys stats says hes not just a loose raiser and a raise from the BB usually signfies a strong hand. I usually play 66's and below in later positions and usually just limp in unless it's folded to me in CO ro Button.

ellipse_87
09-16-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recall reading in SSHE that limping from virtually anywhere with a PP is okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

But definitely not open-limping from MP. Three folds in front make unlikely the conditions necessary to make money from these hands.

TheHammer24
09-16-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well for one your not just limping your calling two bets against a BB raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

The BB acts last preflop

KDawgCometh
09-16-2005, 06:53 PM
this is a pretty easy flop fold here. Your hand isn't strong enough here to make this raise. I'd much rather have a hand like 1010 to do this raise.

The better question is, do you think you can make him fold his hand either to this raise or to a continuation bet on the turn even if a broadway falls.

I'd also consider raising PF