PDA

View Full Version : Newb Play, Advice Needed

Nightbrace
09-16-2005, 01:22 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
[color=#666666]2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, [color=#666666]4 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, [color=#CC3333]MP1 bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Is it okay to check-raise in this situation? I have check-raised maybe only 10 times since I started playing, but it may be something that I am not utilizing as much as I should...

Comments on all streets appreciated!

Nightbrace
09-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Not sure why the colors didn't show up, I'll figure it out eventually.

MrWookie47
09-16-2005, 01:25 AM
A check/raise here is a great play against a great player. A player who'll value bet relentlessly and call down, too. It's decent against a bluffer, because you'll get one bet you might not otherwise get. Against typical players at party 0.50/1, it's terrible. They might check behind, and then you cry. In general, you don't need to make fancy plays to beat this game for an impressive win rate.

chiachu
09-16-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure why the colors didn't show up, I'll figure it out eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

atleasts the suits came out /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i think its best if you bet out on the turn, and hope to get raised.

edit: MrWookie's post is much better then mine... make sure it makes sense to you

Nightbrace
09-16-2005, 01:39 AM
He was a money bag, and I was worried he'd fold if I bet, and I knew he was aggressive enough to bet after I checked. It worked this time, but again I very seldom use this play, just wondering what check-raising can be used for, and if its okay to use, thanks.

MrWookie47
09-16-2005, 02:02 AM
The two main reasons are to check/raise for protection, and to check/raise to build a pot. The first thing to ask yourself when you want to check/raise is which of these you want to accomplish. The second is, "Who am I check/raising?" You should be able to answer that second question specifically. If your position to the check/raiser is to his left, then you're in a perfect position to protect. You check, the table checks, he bets, and then you raise to face the field with two bets cold, hoping they either fold or call incorrectly. If he's instead on your left, then you check, he bets, the field calls, you raise and trap everyone for an extra bet. This builds yourself a very large pot when you have a monster hand.

cold_cash
09-16-2005, 02:14 AM
I would bet here for a couple reasons:

1. The dude might be drawing, and while a check-raise might be sweet, having it checked behind you and then having him fold to your river bet when he misses sucks.

2. He might have a Jack in which case you can bet/3-bet.

This is one of those times when I just bet and hope he has something.

mvoss
09-16-2005, 03:20 AM
How about a PF raise?