PDA

View Full Version : call this? and does psychology have any part in this at this level??

09-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Playing a 10+1 sng on Party. Table was aggressive at first, then calmed down a bit. I saw this as an opportunity to start getting jiggy with it. Fortunately I started getting hands so I could do so more than planned. Anyways, villain was playing solid, raising now & then, but playing somewhat conservative. Meanwhile, I had been raising and check-raising a LOT lately, so I'm sure people figured me to be somewhat of a maniac for the time being. Here's the hand in question:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t2105)
Hero (t1730)
MP1 (t1270)
MP2 (t985)
CO (t905)
Button (t250)
SB (t755)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero raises to 475. Everyone else folds, BB goes Allin. Hero ?????

My thinking at the time was that he had been seeing me bully the table for a while, and figured I was doing it again. He knew he had me covered, and I wouldn't call unless I had a legitimate hand, which would be less likely than usual as per my previous aggression. This is why I considered calling. Is this good reasoning?? Would this reasoning work better in higher buy-in sng/tournies?? And if I knew he had a legitimate hand, what hand range would you think he had here? My guess would be 88+ and AK/AQ maybe?? I'm just starting to play more tournaments so bare with me if this is stupid or anything /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pergesu
09-16-2005, 03:31 AM
I would have just pushed in the first place. Winning the chips is good, and you don't hate getting called.

Your raise just invites any kind of reasonable hand to push, because you'd need a really big hand to call.

Really I don't know what I'd do here. Cause I'd never get in this spot in the first place. But I guess 2-1 with a nice pair against your average $11er is a quick call.

09-16-2005, 04:08 AM
BB told you that his hand is as good or better then yours and you need to get the f*** out of the hand.

EDIT: this is an 11. Take the situation for what it is. You bet to win chips, He went over the top of you to take all your chips. He isnt doing this with nothing im sure. You can NOT risk your tournament life here no matter what.

As of right now...dont think people are trying to hustle you...it will only get you in trouble. Just play correctly and you will do great.