PDA

View Full Version : Taking a shot at the 50-100 game - trip report

09-16-2005, 12:50 AM
A few hours ago someone blew 25K on Prima. That was me (I also lost 6K in the 25/50).

I normally multitable 10-20 ar Party. But because results had been kind of stale, I decided to take a shot at the big games. Single table only, shorthanded.

I started out pretty well. Won about 40K this week. I was lucky. Whenever I was stuck an amount I couldn't handle psychologically, I would pull a ridiculous all-in checkraise bluff to get even. This worked a few times on its own, and a few times I managed to catch one of my 14 to, errr, 3 outs. This move had gotten so powerful in my mind, that I started using it more often. The rest need not be told.

After that, I played my regular game for a little bit and dropped 3 buy ins. Result for the day: -35521.28

When I lost my first 10K I considered quitting. But I didn't. I reloaded and worked my way up to a 2K profit. I then slowly but surely proceeded to lose that.

Later, I decided that I was done, and I was gonna grind a marathon session of 10-20 until I had it back.

But I put 5K in the 50-100 game instead. At some point, I was only 8.5K behind. That's a loss that can easily be recovered playing 10-20, I remember thinking.

In the end, I lost all that, too, and managed to lose another 6K in a 25-50 game as well.

I then took a deep breath, decided that I was back to my normal game forever. I cashed out my remaining 20K or so from Prima.

I played my normal game for 2 hours, because I wanted to start right away with my quest for a more disciplined poker career. I lost 6K.

As of now I have multiple points in this night that I can look back to, where I had first lost a big amount of $$, won some back, and could have stopped and escaped. But I didn't, and I proceeded to lose even more. I thought losing 20K was bad. Now I'm 36 in the red.

Just wanted to share this and save it for posterity, in case I ever forget and need to be reminded.

AZK
09-16-2005, 12:56 AM
giannako is that you?

09-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Do you have any interesting hands where you (who I'm assuming was playing very lag) got snapped off? I'd be interested to see how your opponents played against you

captZEEbo1
09-16-2005, 01:16 AM
yeah, 50/100 blows.

yesterday I was 2-tablign 25/50 and 1-tabling 50/100, and at my 2 25/50 tables I was sitting with 25k and 10k, but I still ended -21k for the session. All my biggest loss days (-73k and my back to back -25k and -48k days) were from extended sessions at 50/100 while tilting and running really poorly.

I think the 50/100 is rigged

savman
09-16-2005, 02:43 AM
i remember when i first started playing poker and I heard the phrase "poker takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master". I would play some (read: lose), read 2 plus 2, study, wash rinse repeat; i was amazed at the wealth of variables that experienced players took into account before acting and thougt to myself.....man this game really does take a lifetime to master. I played more. a lot more. at some point i started thinking along similar lines (sometimes....ok, every once in a while) that posters i respected would often recount in analysis of a hand. I played more. Eventually, I learned to step back and realize it really is just poker. I remebered a similar statement El D posted and it began to make sense to me. For a very short while I thought i was unstoppable. I never thought i was the best or even very good in 2 plus 2 context, but i thought my edge against the average player was so great that i would never again take the type of losses (emotional) i took while learning the game. Then it happened. I ran bad. The kind of bad experienced players warn u about...always bluffing into the nuts, your "big" hands getting cracked, blah blah blah. you all know. All of the sudden i couldnt make the right play to save my life it seemed. I would play well for hourse only to bluff my whole stack into AA or whatever. My running bad was infintely compounded by tilt. Bad decisions really, and i remember thinking the same things OP mentioned. inevitably "just getting even" lead to more losses. In the end i realized the truth about my game....I was my own worst enemy. Learning the game is possible, its just poker. learning how to master ones self is another matter entirely. People game played with cards. This couldnt be truer. And the person you have to pay the most attention to is yourself.

Go_Blue88
09-16-2005, 02:55 AM
When I run bad, I sometimes go through this exact thought process. I think, "Just get back to even and quit." However, many times even when I accomplish this I think, "You're the big stack at the table now, keep playing." Consequently, I lose more and the cycle begins anew. I'm really trying to work on this b/c in the long run, what's the difference if I get back to even two hours after running bad or two days after? There's really no difference; you may as well just quit and get back to even when you're not stressed.

Anyways, good luck to you.

lapoker17
09-16-2005, 03:35 AM
I think you're a stud. Your attitude rules. [censored] happens. Just go back to work.

cardsharkk04
09-16-2005, 04:18 AM
Forget about it, get hammered, come back and screw around at NL25 tables. Its fun as hell. Make sure to rip on everyone at the table.

mgsimpleton
09-16-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Forget about it, get hammered, come back and screw around at NL25 tables. Its fun as hell. Make sure to rip on everyone at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm glad someone else enjoys this as much as i do.