PDA

View Full Version : 3/6 Game Selection Question

09-15-2005, 11:46 PM
I need some help. I just moved up to playing 3/6 limit from 2/4 limit and am trying to improve on my table selection as I understand it is more important as you move up in the limits. I also recently purchased poker tracker, great tool, figure it could help out a lot with game selection. Most of the games I have played at 3/6 seem to be looser than 2/4. I have also noticed that the average table showdown percentage is usually between 35% and 45%. Because of this bluffing is rarly an option an option, depending on the player(s) you are facing, so it seems if I don't hit the board betting into the pot is rarely effective because bets don't seem to get much respect. The question becomes do I just look for other 3/6 tables where the showdown % is less or do I adapt to the game. Playing tight and aggressive preflop and then back off based on the player. Help me out what do I need to do at these 3/6 limit tables where bets an even check raising sometimes dosen't carry much respect, because a lot a lot of the time your going to have to showdown your hand.

SeaEagle
09-15-2005, 11:58 PM
If you're going to play 3/6 then you need to learn to adapt to the game and to specific opponents.

Generally speaking, you will need to do more bluffing at 3/6 than 2/4 (and you'll get more opportunities), but this will vary by table and by opponent.

In general, I would think what you're seeing with the SD% is a function of a small sample size. I would be greatly suprized if 3/6 went to more SDs than 2/4 on average.

09-16-2005, 10:47 AM
I don't know I have ran into this problem at two sites and while the sample size isn't huge it isn't tiny either. I find I do not play very well in loose games because I can't run over anyone at will and after I get a few hands drawn out on me I have a problem of betting out strong starting hands that don't hit the flop. So what is the strategy for playing in a looser 3/6 game in which the hands go to a showdown 40% of the time

thesharpie
09-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Play a limit higher, they'll respect your raises even more there.

Bluffoon
09-16-2005, 11:13 AM
It seems to me that your opponents are now more observant than you are used to. They see you betting out all the time and are smart enough to realize that you can't have a hand every time so they call you down. Tighten up a little and show down the goods for a while before you try and run a table over and you may find that you get a little more respect.

SeaEagle
09-16-2005, 11:37 AM
As the passivity of a table increases (which is what SD% tends to show) you need to bluff less and value bet more.

SSHE is basically a 300+ page treatise on this specific topic.

Shiva
09-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Now that was funny

09-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Guess I need to go back and re read SSHE, just when I find myself in a looser type game where I'm going to get called down from someone with mid pair to the end I find my self playing passive post flop. When this happens I find myself getting beat by weaker hands.

smb394
09-16-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know I have ran into this problem at two sites and while the sample size isn't huge it isn't tiny either. I find I do not play very well in loose games because I can't run over anyone at will and after I get a few hands drawn out on me I have a problem of betting out strong starting hands that don't hit the flop. So what is the strategy for playing in a looser 3/6 game in which the hands go to a showdown 40% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

where and where? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

09-16-2005, 04:43 PM
For what its worth, I have heard of this happening before, even at B&M, and the theory is as follows.

Where do new unseasoned inexperienced-loose players go? They go to the lowest levels if they are most reasonable, but those that have money to burn, are more arrogant, or are in the gambling mentality will start higher.

Who do we expect to be at a 2/4 table? Probably a lot of people who have practiced at the 1/2 table. Who do we expect at the 3/6 table? People who have practiced at the 2/4 table plus a higher contingent of people who are new or want to just have fun or are arrogant, but who feel lower levels are beneath them.

Remember that in B&M cardrooms, 3/6 is often the lowest limit, so perhaps many internet players know this and start there online too.

09-18-2005, 01:07 PM
The two sites were party and pokerstars although the first session I played a pokerstars was fairly tight. I think you theory has some merit. The biggest difference between the 2/4 and 3/6 games I have found is the % of preflop raises and the % of showdowns, both are substancially higher in 3/6 than 2/4.

ejay
09-18-2005, 01:12 PM
there is no rakeback for pokerstars right? That is a big factor in determining wether or not to play there