PDA

View Full Version : Did I Play This Right?

09-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Guys,

Please take a look at the following hand, and let me know what you think, given that the large-stacked Villian is raising just about every hand, I'm in the BB, and I'm really vying for second with old Rickerbocker. I was extremely confident that Villian held a hand like the one he showed, where I'm about a 58 to 42% favorite. Do you make this push? If not, what do you do?

Thanks a lot,

The Funky Monkey

#Game No : 2718181320
***** Hand History for Game 2718181320 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee Trny:15770057 Level:7 Blinds(150/300) - Thursday, September 15, 21:45:46 EDT 2005
Table Table 22361 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 5: Hero ( $1020 )
Seat 10: Ricker ( $820 )
Seat 1: Villian ( $8160 )
Trny:15770057 Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 4h Ad ]
Ricker folds.
Villian raises [450].
Hero is all-In [720]
Villian calls [420].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9d, 5d, Kc ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Th ]
** Dealing River ** [ 2h ]
Villian shows [ Ks, Qd ] a pair of kings.
Hero shows [ 4h, Ad ] high card ace.
Villian wins 2040 chips from the main pot with a pair of kings.
Hero finished in third place and won $100.
Hero has left the table.
Game #2718183730 starts.

Freudian
09-15-2005, 10:06 PM
I think I would have called preflop and pushed the flop. Wouldn't have mattered here but there is no way he will fold to your raise preflop, but a slim chance he will fold to your flop push if he misses the flop.

lorinda
09-15-2005, 10:09 PM
1. Try not to publish results in your posts. It can bias the replies.

2. I think you have a slightly better chance in this pot if you call preflop and push the flop.
Obviously on this occasion it wouldn't have helped, but the Villain is not going to fold preflop, but might possibly fold something on the flop.

Lori

09-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Ah yes, that's what's dubbed the "stop and go", right? In the heat of the moment, I always seem to lose sight of the value of that play, and then kick myself afterwards.

Thanks for the advice on not posting the results - this is only my second post, so I'm still learning the standard M.O.

I think I agree with your analysis, and have a follow-up question. When you're nearing the end of a tournament, with three to five people left, are there any general guidelines that you have for pushing Ax? That hand seems to get me into ridiculous amounts of trouble towards the end of tournaments... I know that many factors come into play, and it may be, therefore, that you can't provide any kind of advice. I'm just sick of getting busted at the end when I push into three people with A6 offsuit (my least favorite hand, by a mile, heh-heh).

Thanks,

The Funky Monkey

09-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Oh, one other question. Is there any way whatsoever that you guys fold this hand, given the read previously described and the fact that the other player is about to have even less chips than me?

brimstone1
09-15-2005, 10:38 PM
If he's raising every single hand... I'm not folding this.

There's no guarantee he'll fold the next hand giving you an opportunity to open-push from the SB to the now-shorty BB, and you can only pray for a hand better than A4o even if you do get the chance to open push. Way too many factors left to luck.

I'd say get your money in there with A4o against the over-aggressive big stack and be done with it. You made a correct call.

If he was pushing literally every hand, I'd also call with a lot more by the way.