PDA

View Full Version : Negreanu book on amazon.com

Warder
09-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Negreanu Book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1580422047/qid=1126833702/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-6428108-3244624?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Doesn't look like we'll be getting it until next spring/summer

MCS
09-15-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the only poker game that counts nowadays-hold'em

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason Malmuth
09-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Hi Everyone:

I noticed that the book is going to be 672 pages, yet it won't be released until May 9, 2006.

If the book (or any book for that matter) was being done by Two Plus Two, there is no way we could have a specific page count or exact release date that far in advance.

Best wishes,
Mason

TaoTe
09-15-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

I noticed that the book is going to be 672 pages, yet it won't be released until May 9, 2006.

If the book (or any book for that matter) was being done by Two Plus Two, there is no way we could have a specific page count or exact release date that far in advance.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. What are you implying?

MCS
09-15-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In their defense, it's possible they don't either. Perhaps they gave Amazon that info as estimates just so that Amazon would have some placeholders for the webpage. Maybe they're loose projections.

Also, what is your point? Is it that you don't make guesses because you really, really don't want to give out incorrect info re: 2+2 books? Is it that you have fast printers once you finish a book, so you would never have a release date that far out once the manuscript was finished and you had an exact page count?

Mason Malmuth
09-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi MCS:

I'm not really implying anything. I just found it very strange.

Best wishes,
mason

greatwhite
09-15-2005, 10:23 PM
It's probablly just the date they are shooting for. I really don't get the page count though. I wonder if they are waiting for the WSOP again.

cwsiggy
09-16-2005, 12:03 AM
lol - Daniel Negreanu and his superstar contributors. Love that cover line. Should be a good book though.

TaoTe
09-16-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
lol - Daniel Negreanu and his superstar contributors. Love that cover line. Should be a good book though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe...don't know yet. There's still not enough info on it. I hate it when a book is hyped as "revealing the secrets of NL hold'em". It also depends on who the contributors are. Any ideas? Probably some tourney pros not well known enough to support their own book. Evelyn Ng, maybe.

uncleshady
09-16-2005, 03:56 AM
Chapter 11 : HOW TO PLAY GARBAGE by Gus Hansen

Cyrus
09-16-2005, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. What are you implying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason denied implying anything. But that could be just his diplomatic refusal to get entangled in a controversy.

Yes, it is a little strange when a poker strategy book's exact page count and a precise day of publication are announced so early in advance.

The exact page count means that the book is ready now, down to the last paragraph, all reviewed and corrected. (Otherwise, if the book is still been written or reviewed, and the number of pages was not yet fixed, then the publishers would announce an approximate number of pages, e.g. "More than 600 pages".)

But if the book is ready now, why wait for almost a year?

The distant date could mean that, in actual fact, the book is NOT ready at all - and simply that they are drumming up anticipation.

Shandrax
09-16-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Customers interested in Daniel Negreanu's Power Hold'em Strategy may also be interested in
Sponsored Links ( What's this? ) Feedback

* How to "Cheat" at Poker
10 tips guaranteed to help crush other players at poker. Free!
www.completepokerstrategy.com (http://www.completepokerstrategy.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

cwsiggy
09-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Chapter 3 - How to hit 12 gutterballs for 5 million by Tuan Lee.

Ed Miller
09-16-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mason denied implying anything. But that could be just his diplomatic refusal to get entangled in a controversy.

[/ QUOTE ]

And monkeys might fly out of my butt. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Timer
09-16-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but you will release a book with numerous, embarrassing errors in a hasty attempt to rush the work to the market.

I think the former mistake is harmless hyperbole, and the latter mistake(s)a serious flaw.

Mason Malmuth
09-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the insults, but we do work very hard on tryig to get our books as accurate as possible before release, and our intention, along with much effort, is to always produce top notch quality in all respects.

The reason the Harrington books had type-os in them had to do with failure in our system which we now hopefully have corrected. However, we did post errata for Harrington I and will soon be posting errata for Harrington II.

Since you feel this way about us, why are you here? When I feel this way about another author or publisher, I don't deal with them any more.

MM

greatwhite
09-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Although this book isn't out yet I bet it will be a must buy, despite Daniel's latest tournament slump. He won so much money in 2004 how could anyone not read it?

09-16-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason the Harrington books had type-os in them had to do with failure in our system which we now hopefully have corrected.

[/ QUOTE ]
So your mistakes as an editor can be attributed to failures in the system? Keep looking for a more believable scapegoat please....

kitaristi0
09-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Isn't that the exact same cover used for Super System, with Daniel's name exchanged with Doyle's, and the title altered?

Aceshigh7
09-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Looks more like Mike Caro's Fundamental Secrets of Winning at Poker to me. It was published by Cardoza also. They must like to use the same template for alot of their books.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/158042080X.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1580422047.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Mason Malmuth
09-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Hi GW:

There's no question that Negreanu is a very good tournament player and understands very well how to play in them. When this book becomes available I will also put it high on my reading list.

Best wishes,
Mason

09-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Mason,

You mention the errata for HoH, but where can someone go to find this information?

Thanks

Jimmy James
09-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Don't you guys have actual humans that read the book, cover to cover, before releasing it? On my first read I found numerous errors and I'm in no way, shape or form a book editor... This just doesn't make sense to me. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I throughly enjoyed Harrington's books, but the errors and type-os do distract somewhat and give an unprofessional appearance. Just MHO.

Jordan Olsommer
09-17-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I throughly enjoyed Harrington's books, but the errors and type-os do distract somewhat and give an unprofessional appearance. Just MHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather have Dan Harrington's advice misspelled and scribbled barely legibly on a napkin I had to fetch out of toilet water than a pristine copy of "Million Dollar Super Secret Poker Strategies" with 100% perfect grammar.

Just MHO.

Mason Malmuth
09-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Hi Jimmy:

To answer your question, the manuscript was read many times before publication. This includes readings by both myself and David Sklansky where we each marked up the text with our comments.

We then met with the authors to go over possible changes/fixes (and the debate sometimes gets quite lively, but that's another story). Then all agreed upon changes are incorporated into the manuscript and final type setting is then done. My best guess is that the manuscript is read at least ten times between submittal to Two Plus Two and final release.

The problem that seemed to occur with these books is that we need another independent person to read the final type set manuscript before we submit it to the printer. We are going to add this additional step for all future books that we do.

Best wishes,
Mason