PDA

View Full Version : Two 2/4 hands where I went a little overaggressive

ClaytonN
09-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Cross posted in small stakes:
Hey everyone.

I'm doing a 100bb challenge akin to the thing GoT a while back.

Right now I'm at 2/4. There are two hands here that I have questions regarding. In both scenarios I was new at the table so I did not have much reads. I was barely firing up GT+.

Hand 1:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (15 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets...</font>

Final Pot: 21 BB

How does the flop look? I think a cap would scare off people on the big bet streets but I gotta believe I have to bet this out. Also, who 3bets preflop? Everyone? Might've made a mistake there...

Hand 2:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (3 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

It's a limped pot, so I felt a call on the flop was more necessary but by the turn I felt the need to look him up and calldown if he fired back. Wasn't sure if calling the river was spewing.

bozlax
09-15-2005, 07:05 PM
First one is waaay under-aggressive. 3-bet pf, if you call the flop donkbet the turn, but I cap the flop and lead out. The river is obvious. No way MP2 went this nuts on the flop with a gutshot.

Second one, if you're going to raise do it on the flop to try and get HU. Once you're HU on the turn, tho, I think the raise is uncalled-for.

Edited for poor typing.

tyler_cracker
09-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Hand 1:

Cap the flop and lead the turn. Extract money from the other donkeys before they have a chance to fold. Leading the turn lets you 3-bet. Your check/raise is too scary and kills your action.

I initially thought that the river 3-bet was excessive, but Captain America is right: he didn't come this far with T9 or KT. I was also afraid of a set, but a set doesn't call the turn and raise the river. Villain has to have AJ, so 3-bet and hope he caps.

Hand 2:

Raise preflop. Standard post/isolation play.

There is no value in the turn raise. Better hands aren't folding and are sometimes 3-betting (as happened here). Worse hands will fold. You don't need a free showdown, and you don't want him to slow down in case you hit your straight on the river.

The river call is really bad unless villain is a maniac. After he 3-bets the turn, i really don't think your SPWK is good even 9% of the time.

Greg J
09-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Hand one looks good until the river 3 bet. I call down and hope to see an overplayed Ax -- maybe 2 pair. I think the blind semi cold call is okay. [Make a note that CO agressively bets his draws.]

Hand two: Small pot + marginal hand + horrible relative position = flop fold for me. I don't think this one is close.

Greg J
09-15-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First one is waaay under-aggressive. 3-bet pf, if you call the flop donkbet the turn, but I cap the flop and lead out. The river is obvious. No way MP2 went this nuts on the flop with a gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Upon further thought, I think I like your more straightforward line better against unknowns for hand one. Against some villians hero's line is okay though -- and I don't have a big problem with the line ClaytoN took here, but I do think yr line might be better here now that I think about it. Less elegant certainly, but against unknown this line might be a touch on the FPS-ey side.

TomBrooks
09-16-2005, 03:01 AM
Hand 1

Might want to just call that river raise. MP2 got bold again. Looks like he made the straight w/ KT.

Weatherhead03
09-16-2005, 03:20 AM
I cant see MP2 having K10..he called the flop 3-bet then lead the turn into the CO after a blank turn. I just cant see someone playing a gutshot like this at all.

09-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Hand 1 - I like it. Every street. I'm betting MP2 caps with AJ.
Hand 2 - I don't know about anyone else but I'm raising or folding the flop. First hand in, I'm folding.
BWWIK.

POKhER
09-16-2005, 08:10 AM
Hand 1 looks ok,
Two things you could change are: 3Bet preflop, Cap flop/Lead turn.

I put Mp2 on Ajo, KT /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif(Unlikly but couldnt he bet the flop due to equity?).

hand 2:
I raise the flop, Bet the turn if checked to and fold to a check raise. Your hand isn't that great.

Think you can fold the turn after the raise to be honest even though the OESD due to tiny pot.

P.S. I play .50/1 so 2/4 is a major change i suppose.

ClaytonN
09-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Those who think villain is capable of having KT in hand 1 must be out of their damn minds. This is simple hand reading! KcTc maybe, but so many more hands are capable of raising on the end like QJ, AJ, A5, or in villain's case he had just a queen and called the river 3bet /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hand 2 I won, but that doesn't matter because the play itself was still spewing.

POKhER
09-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Did hand 1 have AJ? Or KtTc(As i said above :P hehe)
Or am i miles off, 2/4 is quite a different game interms of aggression and skill vs .50/1 no?