PDA

View Full Version : Beginners question about game types STT v MTT

09-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, it might be better in the STT or MTT forums but I thought I'd try here first.

I've noticed that I'm much better at MTT's than STT's but it just does not make sense to me. I mean what is an STT except the final table of an MTT?

Is it usual for a person to be significantly beter at MTT's than STT's?

I've tried to understand the difference and come up with some possible reasons.

1) My sample size is too small. This is always a problem for a beginner. I've played around 125 STT's and about 30 MTT's (I don't always have enough time to start an MTT)

2) The blinds increase slower allowing me to play more poker. A lot of my STT's have ended because the blinds increase so fast people are forced into pushing anything. I know that this happens in MTT's too but you usually get there more slowly. Perhaps this is not a problem with the STT structure but my inability to play loose enough to survive in it.

3) I seem to have been lucky enough to enter my MTT final tables as chip leader or close. Obviously in STT's you all enter what is the final table with the same size stacks

4) I'm just running very lucky in MTT's (which is cool because it's paying for my losses everywhere else while I learn to play)

Any ideas folks?

JonPKibble
09-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Perhaps you are a better full-ring player than you are shorthanded. That is quite possible. If that is the case, keep working on your short handed game, switching gears when need be.

SheridanCat
09-16-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it usual for a person to be significantly beter at MTT's than STT's?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know if it's "usual" but there's no reason this can't be the case. It's all "it depends" in poker, ya know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

1) My sample size is too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could easily be it.

[ QUOTE ]

2) The blinds increase slower allowing me to play more poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

A slower structure, as found in an MTT (usually), will give a better player an advantage. Assuming a sane structure, MTTs will have more post flop play in the middle and end game than STTs, thus allowing one to outplay an opponent at critical points.

[ QUOTE ]

4) I'm just running very lucky in MTT's (which is cool because it's paying for my losses everywhere else while I learn to play)

[/ QUOTE ]

How have you placed in the 30 MTTs you've played? If you've monied a lot, then I would suggest you're having a nice lucky streak right now.

Regards,

T

09-16-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How have you placed in the 30 MTTs you've played? If you've monied a lot, then I would suggest you're having a nice lucky streak right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably it, still I'll take all the lucky streaks I can get. I'm bound to get the unlucky streaks to balance it out soon.