PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot! (with majorkong)

JTG51
05-04-2003, 12:47 AM
I got back today from my first trip to Vegas, I didn't stay nearly long enough.

I had the pleasure of playing 4/8 with a half kill and $1 and $2 blinds at Mandalay Bay with majorkong Friday night. I really like that blind structure. I think I played twice as many hands as I normally would have which made for a great time, except for a train wreck of a hand I played against majorkong with 93s. Maybe I'll post that one another time, I'm still a little sore about putting 36 chips in on the river with the worst hand. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

One more background note for those who haven't played at Mandalay Bay. They have a high hand jackpot, quads or better using both hole cards win. The size of the jackpot depends on how long it's been since the specific hand hit, most of the straight flushes were three or four hundred bucks.

Two EPs limp and MP raises (to $6 in this game). He's a reasonable player, playing far tighter than I am. The game is super loose so I expect at least 5 way action. I call with 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . Majorkong called behind me and the blinds come along. We see the flop 7 handed.

Flop: J /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/club.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Checked to MP who bets. I raise and everyone folds back to him. He calls.

Turn: [J /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/club.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif ] 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Jackpot! I'm now $386 richer! It would have been $500 if I hit the Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif instead, but I'm not complaining. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

MP checked and called the turn and river, obviously my hand was good.

So there are two questions. First, what do you think of my preflop call? Second, would the jackpot possibility cause anyone to slowplay the hand to make sure they saw the river? I didn't think it was very likely that this player would fold on the flop after betting, but I seriously thought about checking behind on the turn if it was a blank. What do you think?

lil'
05-04-2003, 01:01 AM
If you're gonna get a minimum of 5 other limpers plus you, plus the blind money, it's an ok limp to me. As it turned out you had 7 way action, so it worked out well for you.

How do these jackpots work. Do you have to show a hand at the river? If that was the case I wouldn't do a thing to risk making everyone else fold!

You picked a good day to be away. I put my name in for 5-10 at Mohegan Sun tonight. 3 hours later i was still 4 down on the list. Forget it...so frustrating...
/forums/images/icons/mad.gif
My wife had to keep reminding me, Vegas in three weeks...

JTG51
05-04-2003, 01:11 AM
Do you have to show a hand at the river?

No, you don't have to get to a showdown to win the jackpot. As long as there is $20 in the pot you can collect. I never would have bet the turn if I had to showdown.

3 hours later i was still 4 down on the list. Forget it...so frustrating...

I agree, that's exactly why I play almost exclusively at Foxwoods. I hope you have as good a time in Vegas as I did.

Bob T.
05-04-2003, 03:41 AM
I think the call on the flop is a little thin, but if it ends up seven handed, it is probably ok.

Second, would the jackpot possibility cause anyone to slowplay the hand to make sure they saw the river?

You have two draws for two cards at the straight flush. The value of your combined straight flush draws in the jackpot is about $60 That is bigger than the pot is right now. I think that you on the flop, you should guarantee that you will see the turn. So a call would be in order. Additionally, you can't get the A of clubs to fold, and in this game, it is probably unlikely that you will get either the K or Q to fold. Heck 7 people saw a raised flop, they aren't going to fold a hand with a chance without a lot of encouragement. If you got additional callers on the flop, and a non club came on the turn, now your jackpot draw would be worth only about $30, and the pot would be worth a lot more, so it would probably be correct to raise and win the pot.

In the case that you hit the straight flush as you did, if you had any players behind you, it would be of course correct to smoothcall, and hope for overcallers, or in a perfect world, the singleton Ace of clubs.

Yeah, the structure there is kind of interesting, because it is so cheap to limp preflop, that it puts a premium on postflop play. I thought that in a strange way, it was both friendly to bad players, because they could see flops so cheaply, and also to good players who could maximize their wins postflop.

Ed Miller
05-04-2003, 11:16 AM
For anyone interested, I had 55 that hand with the 5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif. I remember thinking, "you'd better damn well have a bigger flush than me" when that fourth club hit. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Homer
05-04-2003, 11:35 AM
98s is a ridiculously easy call from the CO for 1 small bet against 6 opponents, so calling for 1.5 bets can't be much of a mistake if it is one at all (I don't think it is). These players are quite loose so your implied odds are huge.

I understood the jackpot rules as:

1) $20 must be in the pot
2) Must use both hole cards

I don't believe there was any stipulation about the hand going to showdown. Maybe I am thinking of the Monte Carlo though. Anyway, if you do need to get to showdown, check it down. If your opponent folds on the turn or river even 5% of the time, you are losing money.

Anyhoo, glad you had a good time out there and managed to picked up a JP.

-- Homer

Bob T.
05-04-2003, 11:53 AM
It isn't exactly 1.5 small bets, because of the structure of the game. It is $2 to limp, but when it gets raised it is $6. When it gets 7 handed for a raise preflop, then it is alot like 1.5 small bets, but if it was say 3 or 4 handed, then you really have destroyed your implied odds, so I think that this is a marginal call, unless you know that it will be close to a family pot.

Homer
05-04-2003, 11:58 AM
My thought was that after the flop even though the bets can be from $1-4 on the flop and from $1-8 on the turn/river, players usually bet the maximum. So, postflop, it plays like a standard 4-8 game. Therefore, when you pay $6 preflop, it is the equivalent of paying 1.5 small bets in a standard 4-8 game. I agree that I would fold in this situation unless I was relatively sure that the table was loose and I would get 6-7 way action.

-- Homer

Bob T.
05-04-2003, 12:29 PM
even though the bets can be from $1-4 on the flop and from $1-8 on the turn/river, players usually bet the maximum.

Just additional information. At Mandalay Bay, the game is structured, with smaller blinds. So small bets are $4, and Big bets are $8.

JTG51
05-04-2003, 01:08 PM
I remember thinking, "you'd better damn well have a bigger flush than me" when that fourth club hit.

Yup, I just got ya on that one. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

JTG51
05-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah, the structure there is kind of interesting, because it is so cheap to limp preflop, that it puts a premium on postflop play.

I really liked the jackpots also (obviously /forums/images/icons/smile.gif). I pay a $4 rake at home anyway, so I thought it was great to have a chance to get something back for that fourth dollar. All in all, I think it made for a really fun game.

Bob T.
05-04-2003, 01:49 PM
I had fun there, I think Clarkmeister's plan was to drink as much in Corona, as he paid in rake. He was trying to make me keep up, fortunately, I didn't pay much rake that night. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

balt999
05-04-2003, 03:02 PM
JTG51,

Wish I would have known you were coming to Vegas...would have been great to meet you...

JTG51
05-04-2003, 05:15 PM
I'm a jerk, I should have let you know I was coming. My trip was so spur of the moment I didn't really have much time to plan anything. I guess meeting more Vegas 2+2ers will give me an excuse to visit again soon, as if I need it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

JTG51
05-04-2003, 05:22 PM
I agree that I would fold in this situation unless I was relatively sure that the table was loose and I would get 6-7 way action.

That's about what I was thinking. I figured I would get 5 or 6 opponents with loose blinds and a drunk majorkong behind me. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

SittingBull
05-04-2003, 05:31 PM
go to the river to win,NEVER BET--ALWAYS CHECK the turn. However,if U do not need to go to the river to win,bet your hand-a big club or 2 pairs will call. I like your call with your medium connectors.
On the flop,U have a medium flush--it's very important to bet it out. Your opponent can easily have a higher club draw or made flush that's higher than yours.Play it fast on the flop. Even though U have a shot at the jackpot and your opponent might fold if U bet,the jackpot size does not warrent a free card to a possible draw from your opponent(s).
Congratulations!
SittingBull
BTW , at Harrah's in new Orleans,one receives a CAP for a Str. flush /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

05-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Now I know why you played that cheesy 93s with mk. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif