PDA

View Full Version : Basic AK question

Xizor
09-15-2005, 05:13 PM
First of all. Hello to you all, I'm new in this forum so please don't be too harsh on me.
I have been lurking for a couple of weeks and decided I would post a hand for a change:
The hand history is gone for some reason so I'll write it off my memory.

I'm playing Prima 2/4$ full ring four tabling and reading 2+2.

All relevant stacksizes are $400 I don't have a read on the villain in this hand, but I haven't seen him get out of line.

I am dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

1 fold, a very good player limps, I raise $16 a guy in MP calls and a guy in LP calls, blinds fold and the limper before me calls.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif pot is $70

Checked to me, I bet $45, MP folds, LP clickraises to $90, the early limper folds.

What's my move? What does his raise mean?

Thanks in advance.

ahnuld
09-15-2005, 06:01 PM
It means you bet too weakly on the flop and he could do this with any ace or flush draw. You can call and bet on non flush trun and fold to a riase, but I like pushing sometimes too. Curtious if anyone advoctaes calling this raise and checking turn.

Xizor
09-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Should I lead for full pot on the flop here?
Do you really think he would do this with any ace?

Other comments are welcome

AdamBragar
09-16-2005, 10:51 AM
I think that there will be times that you're facing a set or 2 pair. There will also be times you are facing a club draw or a weaker ace or there are even players that do this with 1010. I'd call the flop and look to get money in on any non club turn. If he checks the turn, clearly bet because odds are good he's giving up on the hand.

09-16-2005, 11:12 AM
LP likes his ace and/or flush draw and your underbet smells weak to him. You probably have the best hand right now. I think I might push to price out the flush draw.

Xizor
09-18-2005, 07:07 AM
I thought about it, and folded which I afterwards felt was the wrong thing to do.

Thanks for your input. I think I'll mix it up a bit here and first of all bet a bit more on the flop. If he raises I might either push or call and bet a non club turn.

tdarko
09-18-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought about it, and folded which I afterwards felt was the wrong thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
you folded? it was 45 back to you in a 205 pot right?

you have to call this and press hard when the turn bricks. the posters before you are correct.

Ryendal
09-18-2005, 02:00 PM
I am not agree on te assertion that te flop bet is too weak.
Every body is agree with that ?

tdarko
09-18-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every body is agree with that ?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes.

but from there you have to pick up the pieces and make the best of the hand.

Ryendal
09-18-2005, 02:33 PM
My question is not for the 2 players who said yes.
I still don't believe the raise was too weak.

I need more answers to confirm this.

Ryendal
09-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Sorry, too much limpers, it's ok ;-)

Wu36
09-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Pot the flop, makes the rest of the hand easier to play.

09-19-2005, 04:09 PM
I actually like the $45 bet into a $70 pot. That is 1) just good enough to screw up his odds on a potential flush draw, 2) somewhat disguise the strength of your hand since it looks like a standard continuation bet, and 3) put him to a hard decision when you push the turn if a brick hits or if this happens…

He could have raised you with something like A 6 for two pair or a more likely set. If you have the stones, you can bet big on the turn if a spade hits and possibly push him off his hand.

IMO the only mistake you made was folding the turn bet.

amoeba
09-20-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pot the flop, makes the rest of the hand easier to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure it makes it easy to play as people are capable of raising pot sized bets with the draw here or AK or perhaps AQ.

I actually think the 45 bet is not too bad assuming hero knows the responce that a weak bet like this would elicit.

Lucky
09-20-2005, 03:43 AM
You can change up your bet size at other times. Here, you want to take it down now. Bet pot, if raised, even mini raise you can fold.

But on hands like these, marginal and OOP, bet pot.

Alexthegreat
09-20-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can change up your bet size at other times. Here, you want to take it down now. Bet pot, if raised, even mini raise you can fold.

But on hands like these, marginal and OOP, bet pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to fold in this spot on the principle of "I bet the pot, and he raised" you are going to get killed by anybody who is paying any attention.

ObnxNole
09-20-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm stealing that pot from you everytime if you bet $45 or at least going to test your nerve. However I have become wary of people who do this to me so I'll 3-bet..if called I'll check it down unless I improve and fold to an all in.

ObnxNole
09-20-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually like the $45 bet into a $70 pot. That is 1) just good enough to screw up his odds on a potential flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You need 2:1 to call with a flush draw so he is getting more than proper odds.

Leptyne
09-20-2005, 02:30 PM
If he's on a draw his raise of your weak lead will get you to check the turn and he can get a free look at the river. I vary my play between an oversized bet and a pot sized bet on the flop in hopes he'll think he's only a 2:1 dog, then push a blank turn.