PDA

View Full Version : The "never call" idea....

UATrewqaz
09-15-2005, 04:48 PM
I have been thinking, let's say hypothetically you made the decision to never call, you always either bet/raised or check/folded.

Obviously there are times when it's max +EV to call, so this is not "ideal" strategy

but do you think your average 2+2'er results would improve adopting this "never call" approach? Due to the fact that it would force more aggressive play and less chasing with marginal hands?

Update: How about a "never call in multiway pots", heads up you can call single bets.

BigBiceps
09-15-2005, 04:53 PM
check/call is a great way to induce bluffs.

calling preflop with a drawing hand is good, because you want multiway action for pot odds.

flopping middle pair with a good kicker on an uncoordinated board in a multiway pot, you want to call because you have the odds to hit your 6 outs on the turn to win a big pot.

Aggression is good, but sometimes calling is the best play.

Doc7
09-15-2005, 04:53 PM
people have done it on these forums, i've seen it in posts called "BET/RAISE/FOLD" , as in the only 3 options

typically at nano-limits, to blow off steam

Shillx
09-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Heh I've actually done this a few times and my AF was in the 30-40 range. The problem with this strategy is that have to have a very strong hand to goto war. You can't keep raising with AA on a 762 board since you will end up losing the max. So after you raise the turn, you either have to fold with ~15% equity or put in another 6 BB to showdown. You have to keep folding hands that have decent winning chances since you get bet out of the pot. You will go broke very quickly if you sat at the same table and people figured out what you were doing.

GrunchCan
09-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Been done. I think this is a good experiment to use as a learning tool. It might help you to learn when & how to bet & raise.

But the fold option is a cop-out, I think. Here's another idea. Your only 2 options are call and raise. No folding ever. See how you do.

Go.

BluEsiNsOuL
09-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Against tricky player, sometimes calling is the best option. Some players throw in a bet just to "gather information", if you raise to show your strength, he'll fold immediately. In that case calling is a better choice, of course you need to raise occasionally with nothing just to mix your play. I found calling is a very good weapon in 6-max play.

I don't think "never call" is an good idea, sometimes you just need the callers to have the best return when you make your hand. Reduce calling may increase aggression, but never calling doesn't sound too good.