PDA

View Full Version : Wandering around with second, er third pair.

Bob T.
05-03-2003, 05:48 PM
Online 2-4 game.

One ep poster, and one LP poster on this hand.

EP limps, early poster checks, I limp with 86 of clubs.
Late poster checks, button raises. BB, and everyone else call. 6 to the flop. 12 small bets.

Flop 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . Everyone checks to me, I think that maybe noone has a jack, and maybe the raiser has AK, or AQ. I bet. Late poster folds. Button calls, BB folds, EP calls, and the Early poster folds. 3 to the turn (15 small bets).

Turn Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . Check, check, check. I think that my hand is good.

River. 5 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . Check, your play?.

Results after I get home from work.

AceHigh
05-03-2003, 06:28 PM
What can these guys be calling with? And an 8 with any kind of kicker beats you, so...

If they are tight players I would have to give them credit for something and check.

If they are loose or fishy types, I would bet.

SoCalPat
05-03-2003, 11:00 PM
I would check. Someone easily could have a jack with a weak kicker, and you betting the flop isn't going to get them to fold, nor will they bet the turn or river. Same could be said for the Q -- someone could have one, but also have issues with the kicker.

lil'
05-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Against one player I would bet. Actually, against one player I would have bet the turn. With two players it's more iffy. I say bet the river anyway. Early player would have bet the river if he had a Q or J, and the button would have bet the turn if he had a Q or J. Go for it.

anatta
05-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Will a worse hand call your bet? It appears that button has AK. Even on-line where A-high hands call down a lot, I think this is a clear fold if you bet into him with EP to act behind him.

What could the EP limper have here that he would call the flop bet with. A Jack, like JTs, KJs. A8s also calls. 99, 77 or something maybe takes one off (incorrectly). While you might be good, I think its difficult to find a worse hand that will call you here, although there are some better hands that EP might be too scared to bet himself, that he will call with.

Bob T.
05-04-2003, 03:19 AM
I checked, with the intention of calling a bet. The button checked. EP had A6 suited. The button as everyone guessed, had AK. My hand was good.

I thought that this hand was interesting, because with the two posters, who called the preflop raise, there where 7 and 1/2 big bets laying out there after the flop, and noone tried to win it. I think just the fact that noone was interested in betting, most likely made my hand good. The only question was whether I would be more likely to be called, or to induce a bet. Everyone here thought that there was a high probability that the button had AK, and apparently, the EP player didn't have that thought (or maybe any thoughts), because he called my flop bet, probably because he thought an ace might have been an out, but unless it came in a parlay with a 6, it wasn't going to help him.

I wonder how it would play, if the button takes a stab at the pot, either by raising on the flop, or by betting on the turn. From his viewpoint, on the turn, he might have as many as ten outs, 3As, 3Ks, and 4Ts, and if he bet, and got called, he would still not be giving up much, and he might have won the pot there. If he raises the flop for a free card, and then bets the turn as a semibluff, I think that I would be hard pressed to call the turn bet.

lil'
05-04-2003, 10:19 AM
I think the button missed a chance to win by never making any move at a decent sized pot. Like you said, a flop raise may have made it too uncomfortable to stay in the hand, and likely would have made it heads up between you and him.

This hand sorta reminds me of the hand I posted a couple of days ago, where all I had a was a pair of 8's on the river and was wondering if I should bet or not. You correctly suggested I should have bet the river, as more good can come from betting rather than checking. Even though there is an extra oppponent here, you have gathered enough evidence over the course of the hand to determine that your hand may very well be good. I think you have a better chance of being called than inducing a bet. The way the button played the hand, he doesn't seem like the type to bluff.

Bob T.
05-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Even though there is an extra oppponent here, you have gathered enough evidence over the course of the hand to determine that your hand may very well be good. I think you have a better chance of being called than inducing a bet. The way the button played the hand, he doesn't seem like the type to bluff.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was thinking after the hand. I suppose I should have been happy to escape with this pot, but I really think that betting the river here would have been better.

rharless
05-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Bob,

I am still having problems with my river bets, but I do think in this case I would have been tempted to bet the river. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

More so though, I would have bet the turn. A weak Jack is looking for an excuse to fold, so you might as well oblige him.

rh

marbles
05-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but I really don't like the preflop limp here. I realize the posters will give you multiway action, but your position prohibits you from playing this hand with any kind of confidence postflop.

That said, I think your postflop play was fine.

Bob T.
05-04-2003, 11:24 PM
There is a logical disconnection in my logic here, so don't pick on it to much. I was pretty certain after the flop action, that the button held AK or AQ. If he held AQ, I would here from him on the turn, and if he held AK, he had a bunch of outs, so he wasn't going to lose anything by paying for his draw.

I thought that it was possible, that EP had something like KQ, and was going to checkraise. (that was a case of seeing monsters under the bed) I had a hard time imagining on this flop, what hand could be calling, so I thought that I would check, and then see what happened next.

Well, the river blanked off, and when EP checked, then, I was certain that he hadn't been trying to checkraise, so I was fairly certain that my hand was good, and then it was just a matter of trying to figure out how to get the most out of the river. I thought that if I checked, maybe the button was going to bet, but given that they hadn't played aggressively so far this hand, I don't know why I thought that.

In this case, because of EP was drawing essentially dead, I gave up quite a bit, by not betting the turn, and if the button had raised on the turn, I think I could have easily let my hand go. In retrospect, I think that betting the turn would have been the best play.

I posted this hand, because even though I won the hand, I wasn't exactly proud of my play here, and I thought that either betting the turn, or betting the river would have been a better play.

Bob T.
05-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but I really don't like the preflop limp here.

86 suited, and more likely 97 suited are hands that I like to play if I think I can get in for 1 bet multiway. They are my road hands, no other excuse. On most tables, I am by far the tightest player so I need to have some hands where I am dangerous if the flop comes all small. Just about the time someone has me pegged as a complete rock, I turn over one of these, and then they have a lot of doubts for a while.

Sometimes, if the situation is right, I will even raise with these headsup.