PDA

View Full Version : What's the best steak cut?

RacersEdge
09-15-2005, 10:40 AM
I've been doing the Atkins diet lately - and eating steaks. Normally, I don't eat steak very often. So what's the best cut in terms of flavor? I think I like the rib eye the best.

ghostface
09-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Filet.

End of thread.

sfer
09-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Onglet/hanger steak.

Rduke55
09-15-2005, 10:45 AM
I too like the ribeye. I think it gets a bad rap because of Ponderosa, etc. but it's a really good cut.
That said, I have a real hard time turning down the filet.

Slow Play Ray
09-15-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
End of thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

God I f'n hate when people say that.

I like steak in general, as long as it's cooked right...but I think sirloin is probably my favorite.

cdxx
09-15-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Filet.

End of thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

ghostface
09-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Sure people have different opinions, but it's hard to argue that filet is not top 2 on most ppls list.

Theres a bit of sarcasm in that too. If it was really the end of the thread, well, it would be the end.

ghostface
09-15-2005, 10:51 AM
If we were talking EV wise then sirloin is the easy choice.

canis582
09-15-2005, 10:53 AM
london broil

jaydub
09-15-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure people have different opinions, but it's hard to argue that filet is not top 2 on most ppls list.

Theres a bit of sarcasm in that too. If it was really the end of the thread, well, it would be the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Filet is the most tender but it lacks the flavor of some other cuts. It cracks my top 5.

sfer
09-15-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Filet is the most tender but it lacks the flavor of some other cuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding! Winner.

ghostface
09-15-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
london broil

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], i always forget this.

woodguy
09-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Sirloin tip.

Thick, nice marbling, $ for $ best value on the cow.

Regards,
Woodguy

touchfaith
09-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Porterhouse, best of both worlds.

cdxx
09-15-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Filet is the most tender but it lacks the flavor of some other cuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding! Winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

i find that if i can't taste my filet mignon, i've simply overcooked it. if you feel that you simply cannot stand medium rare and would like more flavor, it is sometimes a simple matter of going light on the sauce.

ethan
09-15-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Filet.

End of thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you missed this part: So what's the best cut in terms of flavor? The filet's great texture-wise, and that's its appeal. It's fairly bland as steaks go, though. Your answer is generally misguided, and a long ways from end-of-thread.

The ribeye's an excellent choice. Bone-in ribeye's nice too. Onglet's also been mentioned, and I'd second that as well. Tri-tip BBQs well.

If you're in a neighborhood with a mexican market, they often have very tasty marinated flank steak. It may well be good even if the rest of the market doesn't look all that reputable. You'd be looking for "carne par asar preparada". It'll be pretty cheap, too...somewhere around $3.50-$5/lb.

It's not especially practical since it requires slow-cooking, but oxtail is freaking fabulous. It's not all that hard to make - just takes time.

ethan
09-15-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i find that if i can't taste your filet mignon, i've simply overcooked it. if you feel that you simply cannot stand medium rare and would like more flavor, it is sometimes a simple matter of going light on the sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]
I order my steaks as rare as the kitchen's willing to cook them, and go very light on sauce. Filet still has some taste - don't get me wrong. It's just much more mild and IMO less interesting than some other, cheaper cuts.

jaydub
09-15-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i find that if i can't taste my filet mignon, i've simply overcooked it. if you feel that you simply cannot stand medium rare and would like more flavor, it is sometimes a simple matter of going light on the sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Medium rare? Sauce? Yeah you are so disqualified from have any opinion on this topic.

RunDownHouse
09-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah, what is all this sauce stuff? Just some light seasoning, cook it to the rare side of medium rare, and off you go.

cdxx
09-15-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Medium rare? Sauce? Yeah you are so disqualified from have any opinion on this topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did not mean that i eat it with sauce or any other way than medium rare. if you eat your steak well-done and with sauce, that could be the reason why you don't like filet mignon.

CollinEstes
09-15-2005, 11:38 AM
If you guys haven't tried one yet a relatively new cut is available here in Texas called a Flat Iron Cut, I think it is one of the top 3 cuts, and probably right before filet for me.

ethan
09-15-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, what is all this sauce stuff? Just some light seasoning, cook it to the rare side of medium rare, and off you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as it's done right, sauce on steak is perfectly reasonable. Pan-sear the steak, deglaze with something, add a little demi-glace, reduce, maybe add some butter/cream, and it's good. There are plenty of variants on this - zinfandel+tarragon+shallots is good, I've been making a lot of port-based-sauces (often improved if you finish them with a little balsamic vinegar or kirsch)...your options are basically endless. The deglaze/demiglace/reduce/finish process is very flexible.

If you're prejudiced against sauces it's because you're not used to good sauce.

as an edit - I'm also a fan of un-sauced steak. My standard preparation is to rub the steak with a garlic clove, then kosher salt+pepper, grill it, and pour a little olive oil on it once I take it off the grill.

cdxx
09-15-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As long as it's done right, sauce on steak is perfectly reasonable. Pan-sear the steak, deglaze with something, add a little demi-glace, reduce, maybe add some butter/cream, and it's good. There are plenty of variants on this - zinfandel+tarragon+shallots is good, I've been making a lot of port-based-sauces (often improved if you finish them with a little balsamic vinegar or kirsch)...your options are basically endless. The deglaze/demiglace/reduce/finish process is very flexible.

If you're prejudiced against sauces it's because you're not used to good sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely. if i was talking about A1 or something, then i would indeed disqualify myself from the discussion.

edit : this method i took from a friend's foreman grille book. i only use it occasionally though. make a light mix of soy sauce and sesame oil. prepare some wasabi, spread a thin layer on the steak when it's on the plate. proceed as you wish.

MonkeeMan
09-15-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yum

The Goober
09-15-2005, 12:10 PM
New York strip. Certainly not the most economical option, but really good. An asian supermarket near me sells super-expensive kobe beef steaks - I'm waiting for a good excuse to buy some, but they look really good.

ethan
09-15-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
definitely. if i was talking about A1 or something, then i would indeed disqualify myself from the discussion.

edit : this method i took from a friend's foreman grille book. i only use it occasionally though. make a light mix of soy sauce and sesame oil. prepare some wasabi, spread a thin layer on the steak when it's on the plate. proceed as you wish.

[/ QUOTE ]

To those of you who currently think of sauce only as something you squeeze out of a bottle, go buy this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471292753/qid=1126800695/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2857921-7586228?v=glance&s=books&n=507846). James Peterson's Sauces. It's truly not that hard to learn to make good sauces, and your cooking will be much improved. It's the sort of thing where you learn a few basic principles and then improvisation's pretty easy. At the very least, you'll learn how to make a pan-sauce for steak and your steaks will be better.

Plus, good sauce can get you laid. No, seriously. Women like cooks.

PITTM
09-15-2005, 12:25 PM
im a huge tri-tip fan. i think ribeyes are a bit overrated while filets are INSANELY overrated. new yorks are pretty damn good too.

rj

ethan
09-15-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good steak. In general, the closer meat is to the bone, the better it's going to taste - thus my earlier recommendation of oxtail.

I also mentioned rubbing a steak with garlic - that comes from the Italian preparation for porterhouse, which involves rubbing the t-bone with a garlic clove and rubbing the rest with kosher salt and coarse pepper.

sfer
09-15-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i did not mean that i eat it with sauce or any other way than medium rare. if you eat your steak well-done and with sauce, that could be the reason why you don't like filet mignon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever had a hanger steak? Dry aged prime beef?

Al_Capone_Junior
09-15-2005, 12:58 PM
It's clearly a porterhouse about two inches thick.

And anyone who doesn't agree... I'll kick you in the nuts.

al

Toro
09-15-2005, 01:12 PM
I've scanned the other posts so this is redundant to some of the replies:

1. Filet Mignon is the tenderest but not the most flavorable.

2. Porterhouse is the best, medium rare or rare. Some have said "best of both worlds" and I agree but think the tenderloin portion of a porterhouse is even tastier than a regular filet and as tender. Something about it being cooked while still on the bone.

3. For a change of pace my second favorite is Ribeye.

4. Surprised to see London Broil. I don't consider this to be a good cut at all.

Jeebus
09-15-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's clearly a New York Strip about two inches thick. And seasoned only with salt and a good coating of black and red pepper.

And anyone who doesn't agree... I'll kick you in the nuts.

al

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

cdxx
09-15-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i have. my favorite is at Gordon Biersch (try it if you are around DC), but it's not close to the best filet mignon i've ever had.

unlucky513
09-15-2005, 01:49 PM
this thread makes my mouth water.

NY strip steak is my favorite. rib eye's are delicious.

does anyone like flank steak? i do.

sfer
09-15-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i have. my favorite is at Gordon Biersch (try it if you are around DC), but it's not close to the best filet mignon i've ever had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gordon Biersch in San Francisco, assuming that they are the same, is an armpit.

So you've had a hanger steak? Opinion?

jaydub
09-15-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This Gordon Biersch (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=1027752)? It's a damn brewpub.

PITTM
09-15-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the gordon biersch in san jose is pretty overrated. there is a market by my house called new leaf that sells all kinds of organic premium meats and i usually shop for meat and produce there. deeeeeeelicious.

rj

MarkL444
09-15-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like steak in general, as long as it's cooked right...but I think sirloin is probably my favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

let me guess you also get it cooked well done

benfranklin
09-15-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As long as it's done right, sauce on steak is perfectly reasonable. Pan-sear the steak, deglaze with something, add a little demi-glace, reduce, maybe add some butter/cream, and it's good.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is good steak sauce. (I like shallots and garlic sauted in the juice, then deglaze with red wine, then beef stock, then a little dejon.)

If sauce means A1 or Heinz 57, save your money. These taste better on a hamburger steak.

Slow Play Ray
09-15-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

let me guess you also get it cooked well done

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, cuz I'm a retard.

No - medium-rare for most cuts.

cdxx
09-15-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This Gordon Biersch (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=1027752)? It's a damn brewpub.

[/ QUOTE ]

a brewpub that also has great meat and potatoes. it's not a bar, it's more upscale and yes it brews its beers onsite.

the hanger steak is good. never been to the SF one, but SJ downtown is where i've had the hanger steak. very good. (i now live in DC) for filet mignon in San Jose you gotta go Hungry Hunter.

JihadOnTheRiver
09-15-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Atkins diet

[/ QUOTE ]

Jihad on Atkins. Go to the gym.

HtotheNootch
09-15-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you guys haven't tried one yet a relatively new cut is available here in Texas called a Flat Iron Cut, I think it is one of the top 3 cuts, and probably right before filet for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flat Iron is actually just a portion of the chuck steak cut out, and then sold for 2+x the price.

sfer
09-15-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a brewpub that also has great meat and potatoes. it's not a bar, it's more upscale and yes it brews its beers onsite.

the hanger steak is good. never been to the SF one, but SJ downtown is where i've had the hanger steak. very good. (i now live in DC) for filet mignon in San Jose you gotta go Hungry Hunter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. You can be thoroughly disregarded.

daryljobe777
09-15-2005, 04:52 PM
me = meat wrapper.

London Broil is not a primal cut, but rather a recipe. Some call for flank steak, while others call for top round. Some regions (and even stores within a reigon), though, consider london broil to be cubed flank steak, rolled, cut, and skewered.

My favorite: porterhouse.

Benal
09-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Best cut: Tenderloin (filet)

Best taste: T-Bone, very thick

John Ho
09-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Filet lacks the flavor of rib eye or a strip steak.

But with some good sauces filet is pretty tough to beat.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Filet.

End of thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

[/ QUOTE ]

ddubois
09-15-2005, 05:44 PM
I've only been once, but the the food at the local Gordon Biersch was amazing the time I went. The ambience wasn't anything like a brewery; I felt like I was at an upscale restaurant (and so did my check).

09-15-2005, 05:47 PM
new york strip. best combination of taste and tenderness.

Brisket is the tastiest. damn, I love me some good brisket.

As for sauce, bernaise rules.

Ulysses
09-15-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If your favorite steak of any variety is at Gordon Biersch, you should probably just sit back, read, and learn.

Ulysses
09-15-2005, 05:57 PM
1. Porterhouse
2. Ribeye

I also like Filet and New York Strip.

Food at Gordon Biersch sucks. Period. If you think otherwise, that is fine for now. But at some point later in your life you will look back and laugh at yourself.

SackUp
09-15-2005, 06:03 PM
I always like a nice juicy T-bone.

Tri-tip wrapped in bacon is also delicious...though anything is delicious when wrapped in bacon.

jaydub
09-15-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DC? Here are a few DC restaurants for enjoying steak, listed in no particular order.

Prime Rib
Sam and Harry's
Morton's
Ray's The Steaks (the current up and comer)
Ruth's Chris

As El D said, one day you will look back and laugh. Until then cash out your winnings and enjoy some damn porterhouse.

daryljobe777
09-15-2005, 06:13 PM
For the "tenderloin has no flavor" crowd: marinate your filet with balsamic vineger and extra virgin olive oil. Rub with a little minced garlic, and sprinkle some montreal steak seasoning on it.

cdxx
09-15-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only been once, but the the food at the local Gordon Biersch was amazing the time I went. The ambience wasn't anything like a brewery; I felt like I was at an upscale restaurant (and so did my check).

[/ QUOTE ]

at least there's someone who feels the way i do.

WackityWhiz
09-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Don't forget Lowry's seasoning, stuff is the bam shizzle slap snip snap slam

cdxx
09-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Prime Rib -- tried it, the lamb is good
Morton's -- didn't have the beef
Ruth's Chris -- tried it, filet is awesome

touchfaith
09-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Not to freak anybody out or anything, but we all know that a Porterhouse is a Tender Loin (filet) on one side and NY Strip on the other right?

daryljobe777
09-15-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to freak anybody out or anything, but we all know that a Porterhouse is a Tender Loin (filet) on one side and NY Strip on the other right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes it is.

bravos1
09-15-2005, 07:18 PM
1. Ribeye
2. New York
3. Chateau Bre?????.. (however you spell it, you know what I mean)

The chateau is similar to the London Broil, but a better cut and is not as stringy (ie more tender than London)

bravos1
09-15-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the gordon biersch in san jose is pretty overrated. there is a market by my house called new leaf that sells all kinds of organic premium meats and i usually shop for meat and produce there. deeeeeeelicious.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is New Leaf at?

bravos1
09-15-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Hungry Hunter is closed (at least the one on Blossom Hill). If you want a good steak in San Jose, go to Spencer's. La Foret in Almaden has the most tender steak and wild game around but you'll be dropping $100 a person. There is another place in Los Gatos, can't think of the name, but it is real close to the Black Watch.

BUT if you want THE best steak in the Bay Area, you have to go to Ruth's Chris in San Francisco!!! One of the best steakhouses in the US.

Al_Capone_Junior
09-15-2005, 10:20 PM
My post did not need fixing. I know what a porterhouse is, and that's what I meant. Report to me directly for an immediate kicking in the nuts.

al

Ulysses
09-15-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Hungry Hunter is closed (at least the one on Blossom Hill). If you want a good steak in San Jose, go to Spencer's. La Foret in Almaden has the most tender steak and wild game around but you'll be dropping $100 a person. There is another place in Los Gatos, can't think of the name, but it is real close to the Black Watch.

BUT if you want THE best steak in the Bay Area, you have to go to Ruth's Chris in San Francisco!!! One of the best steakhouses in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ruth's Chris is at best the 5th best steakhouse in SF, probably not even that.

Ulysses
09-15-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course everyone who has picked Porterhouse knows that. I assume you don't know that a bone-in Ribeye tastes different than a Ribeye?

StevieG
09-15-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does anyone like flank steak? i do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big fan of flank steak for when I want to marinate and grill. I think the striated texture increases the surface area and takes in more marinade.

So for this thread (flavor of the meat standing on its own) I'd say porterhouse.

StevieG
09-15-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The meat close to the bone is the best part. Why do you think osso buco is so good?

slamdunkpro
09-15-2005, 11:01 PM
In DC go to Sam and Harrys on 19th st (across from The Palm)

slamdunkpro
09-15-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3. Chateau Bre?????.. (however you spell it, you know what I mean)

The chateau is similar to the London Broil, but a better cut and is not as stringy (ie more tender than London)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, what has public education hath wrought!!!!

Chateaubriand is the center cut out of a whole tenderloin – the whole piece that filet mignons are cut from.

Cut off the butt (large end) just where the muscle splits and the tail + about one good thick filet mignon, the centerpiece will become your Chateaubriand. Trim off all the exposed fat. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Season the meat with salt and pepper only, coat with vegetable oil. Heat a large iron skillet as hot as you can make it (like until it will melt lead!) open all your windows, take the battery out of your smoke detector and place the roast in the skillet. Sear for 2 minutes/rotate a third/repeat/repeat. When the meat is seared (crusty and brown) all the way around place it on a pre-heated roasting rack in the oven; 10 minutes for <font color="red"> really rare </font>12 minutes for rare, 14 minuets for just medium rare. Any more – order the chicken. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes covered in foil. Slice ¾ of an inch thick as needed and serve with béarnaise sauce and the most expensive red Claret or Bordeaux you can afford.

If you have a good hot gas grill you can sear it on that and avoid smoking up your house.

Done right you can cut it with a fork and women will swoon when you feed it to them

If you don’t want to go to the trouble of buying and trimming your own tenderloin some of the high-end steak houses offer Chateaubriand for two. The only chain I know of that does is Morton’s and it’s not on the menu, but they will usually make it if you tell them when you make your reservation. I believe Sam and Harry’s in DC has in on the menu and Smith and Wollensky serves it on holidays

Popinjay
09-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Chateaubriand. But I think it's a type of filet. Anyway it melts in your mouth.

slamdunkpro
09-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Remember the tougher the cut, the more beef flavor it will have. Muscle tissue doesn’t have a lot of flavor. The fat and connective tissue does. This is why skirt steak has more flavor than a Rib Eye, which has more than a Loin Strip (NY Strip), which has more than the tenderloin. Also why bone in-cuts have more flavor than bone out. This is also why prime meats have more flavor than choice or select cuts(prime = more fat/marbeling)

Roybert
09-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Bone-in ribeye.

vulturesrow
09-16-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has already been addressed somewhat, but this is a [censored] retarded thing to say.

Chobohoya
09-16-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i did not mean that i eat it with sauce or any other way than medium rare. if you eat your steak well-done and with sauce, that could be the reason why you SUCK AT LIFE

[/ QUOTE ]

First and maybe only FYP

johnnybeef
09-16-2005, 04:00 AM
Take it from a man named beef....porterhouse, and its not even close.

goofball
09-17-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beer at Gordon Biersch sucks. Period. If you think otherwise, that is fine for now. But at some point later in your life you will look back and laugh at yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

beernutz
09-17-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this. NY Strip + filet = aaaaahhhh.

KyleC
09-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Tenderloin (filet) is the best in my opinion with ribeye coming in at second.

My favorite dish at the moment is Twin Tournedos filet cooked to medium rare served with a demi glace, mushrooms, and risotto with some sort of blanched veggie. Very good!! I made it at my in-laws this past weekend but I dont know how to post the pic I have of it someone help!

LBJ
09-17-2005, 05:03 PM
NY Strip Steak alternating between rare and medium-rare. I like em red.

Lazymeatball
09-17-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
london broil

[/ QUOTE ]

good value.

otherwise, filet is best cut.

09-17-2005, 05:39 PM
We can both order the bone-in. You take the meat and I'll take the bone. I love'em if there is a little meat left on them. Yum! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

smokingrobot
09-17-2005, 05:54 PM
the delmoico is a nice cut too. although perhaps not the best out there.

but a nice peppered delmonico is excellent on the grill.

slamdunkpro
09-17-2005, 06:36 PM
A “Delmontico” can be many things. The most common is Delmontico = ribeye, but it can also be a piece of top sir loin or a bone-in short loin cut.

Bigdaddydvo
09-17-2005, 06:59 PM
The Cowboy Ribeye (bone in, well marbled) cooked medium rare at Ruth's Chris is awesome.

SomethingClever
09-17-2005, 07:44 PM
As others have mentioned, perhaps more important than the cut is the quality of the beef.

Select &lt; Choice &lt; Prime

Also, for the best tenderness and flavor, you want it dry-aged anywhere from 15-30 days.

Oh, and for fck's sake, don't overcook it!

I like just about any cut, but filets and flank are what I make the most often.

PITTM
09-18-2005, 07:44 PM
i bought a porterhouse tonight. it was 26 dollars, i thought that was a lot. but it was well worth it. thanks guys. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

rj