PDA

View Full Version : Level 3, JJ, Early Position hand considering Inflection Points

GtrHtr
09-15-2005, 10:03 AM
I’ve been spending a lot of time the last few weeks analyzing EV long handed and inflection point impact on different scenarios.

Hero is UTG+1, the blinds will be going up then next hand to level 4. How do you play JJ from this position? My usual play in level 3 is to raise 3 or 4xBB if first to enter the pot on level 3 but otherwise fold. Here the inflection points, position and stack size seem to me to be more of a push fold situation.

Your thoughts?

Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 2: Seat 2 (2065)
Seat 3: Seat 3 (1115)
Seat 6: Seat 6 (2320)
Seat 7: Seat 7 (1050)
Seat 9: Seat 9 (900)
Seat 10: Hero (550)
SEAT 6 posts small blind (25)
Seat 7 posts big blind (50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Jd, Jh ]
Seat 9 folds.
Hero ?

45suited
09-15-2005, 10:09 AM
JJ is not strong enough to do anything but push here, IMO.

I instantly push this and hope to get called by some bigstack with Ax or lower PP.

GtrHtr
09-15-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
JJ is not strong enough to do anything but push here, IMO.

I instantly push this and hope to get called by some bigstack with Ax or lower PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, your TT hand from a month ago or so inspired some of my thinking on this hand, even though I disagreed somewhat with your line at the time.

GtrHtr
09-15-2005, 12:21 PM
bump.

Anyone else?

09-15-2005, 12:40 PM
With only 550 in chips you are very close the the 10bb mark. JJ is a good hand to have here and I would push here to double up or bust out. If you only raise a little are you going to fold when over cards come on flop, and if you do you will be so short stacked and have no FE that you better hope you get lucky next few hands when blinds go up to $100.

bluefeet
09-15-2005, 12:56 PM
I push this too.

Another consideration regarding the blinds going up: If you choose any other line here that requires you putting in chips...and don't succeed, this could have possibly been your last/best chance at an open-push creating a HU situation.

Coming out the other side of the blinds you'll be down to 300'ish chips (3x) - likely a) having to call with a "too good to fold hand", or b) pushing into a 3-way or worse situation.

Pushing JJ here, into 4 others, with substaintial FE on 2 of them is too good to pass up. Getting a loose AT, 77 type call from a larger stack makes it all that more attractive.

09-15-2005, 01:01 PM
This is an autopush for me.

Disclaimer: I don't know what an inflection point is.

illegit
09-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Since the blinds are going up next hand a push is good. However if the table had been quite active PF I might go for a limp re-raise because I definitely want all my chips in with this hand and my chip count. At a typical table I think i would usually just push.

GtrHtr
09-15-2005, 01:09 PM
As I stated, I viewed this as a push - fold situation. In the back of my mind though, was just picking up the blinds in this situation.