PDA

View Full Version : Investing my Bankroll

kinger
09-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Hello everyone,

I have profited $15,000 from poker this year. My plan is to invest more than half of it in a separate "poker" stock/mutual fund account. It will remain separate for a long time, so I will be able to see lifetime poker winnings with compounded investment earnings. It will be fun to see where my poker earnings will be in 10 years. I am very knowledgable in investing, I am 30 years old an and well diversified in my regular portfolio among small/mid/large cap, international, real estate etc.

I would have no problem investing this money to maximize my return, but because this is my bankroll from poker winnings, I want to be a little more creative. I want to invest in stocks or mutuals fund that would be a good long term investment and also involved in the gaming industry in some way. Any ideas of what would be a good investment?

I used to be invested in a company called Shuffle Master, but haven't looked at their financials in a long time.

Thanks!
kinger

1C5
09-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Hold on, you said you have experience in investment yet you are asking strangers on a message board where to invest?

Something doesn't add up.

cdxx
09-15-2005, 01:20 PM
i think CRM industry is going to explode. i'm already riding the RNOW and CRM stocks, and i have options in one of their pre-ipo competitors.

Uglyowl
09-15-2005, 03:49 PM
You make good money in gaming and want to invest in gaming. Sounds like putting your eggs into one basket here.

If something were to run amiss, you are screwed on both ends.

Don't limit yourself to one sector or type of investment, find what is best for you PERIOD.

kinger
09-15-2005, 04:17 PM
thanks for the responses, here is my reply:

1C5: I am not going to buy anything that you recommend. I will do my own due dilligence to determine if it is a good stock. I am not an idiot, it is pretty obvious to me that cdxx is a pump and dumper and I would never buy his stock. It is not even related to the gaming industry so he is just trying to make a quick buck. So if you have a good idea, let me know and leave it up to me to decide if I agree with you.

Ugly: yes my poker eggs are all in one basket, but so what. This bankroll of mine is a very small portion of my portfolio so I don't care if my poker bankroll is not diversified. What is important is that all of my money is diversified which it is. Since I do not own a single gaming stock, I would consider this idea very low on the overall risk scale.

I was kind of hoping someone would come back and say "with the recent hurricane the gaming industry is not a good place to put your money, or "xyz company makes poker chips and are growing like crazy" or "this mutual fund is based on the gaming industry and has average 10% grown over the last 5 years...

thanks,
John

cdxx
09-15-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not an idiot, it is pretty obvious to me that cdxx is a pump and dumper and I would never buy his stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, those are some baseless accusations.

[defensive mode]the average span of my stock positions is over 6 months. that said, 80% of my investments are in mutual funds, and the average span for those is 2+ years.[/defensive mode]

i gave my opinion because you wanted a creative pick (i thought not necessarily gaming). i work for a company that is a competitor to the ones i mentioned and i see first-hand how the business is booming.

but you absolutely right, don't be an idiot, and do you own due dilligence.

cdxx
09-15-2005, 05:26 PM
btw, i looked at IGM as a possible investment but decided against it. something didn't look/feel quite right.
a long time ago i owned nevada gold, and remember that i sold it at no profit.

1C5
09-16-2005, 12:31 AM
CRM industry?
what is that?

cdxx
09-16-2005, 02:11 AM
customer resource management. everything from marketing to sales to customer support is CRM. the industry is thought of whatever streamlines the process, such as software.

Sniper
09-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Recent Business Week article (http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/sep2005/pi20050915_3281_pi041.htm)

By the way, as a knowledgable investor, you know that you shouldn't limit your investment of poker winnings to just gaming industry related stocks. Unless the percentage of resources equaled the percentage of exposure to that industry that you wanted.

To maximize your returns, always allocate your equity to the best ideas you have.