PDA

View Full Version : Was this the wrong play or the wrong call?

Poker Jon
05-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Playing in a one table sit and go at Pstars, top 3 get paid and 4 runners left. T13500 in play, pretty much evenly distributed between all 4 players (each player had between 3 and 4k)

I am in the BB (200/100 blinds) with AQ hearts suited. 1st player folds, on the button raises to 600. he has been playing pretty loosely, pre flop, folding to re-raises etc. I read him for A10s, KQs or something like that. Not a big hand though. SB folds and I flat call the 600. Flop comes 996 (with two hearts). I decide to check and see what he comes out with as he has been making a lot of small raises after a raised preflop. He/She duly comes out with a bet of 600. IMO he had two overcards (not a small pair, otherwise would have made a bigger bet to try and take it from the flush draw). After consideration i decide to come over the top with my AQ, as I have a flush draw, two maybe bigger overcards.

He calls the bet and turns over AK, my flush doesnt hit and i am out of the money.

My questions are:
1) was I right to throw all my money in on a semi-steal when i would finish a place outside the money?
2) was he/she right to call with AK, when they may have also finished outside the money?

I personally didn't think my play was that bad, and against a better player, i think I may have got them to lay down the better hand but I would be interested to hear what you guys would have down with AK with that hand at that stage of a tournament?

Martin Aigner
05-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Jon, I think that you should have moved all in preflop. AQs is very strong hand 4-handed, but there are simply way too many flops you will miss completly and the other player gets a piece of it. I donīt know how you could get such a good read on him that you put him ATs or KQ or something like that. These minimum raises online usually can mean anything from 23o to AA. Anyway, letīs assume you call and the flop comes J62 rainbow. Itīs not really a bad flop for AQ since you still might be ahead and draws are rare. But do you think that he will muck JT if you move all in? Online I wouldnīt guess so.

Since you just called preflop I would move all in on the flop. Donīt go for a checkraise, since he might go all in himself and you donīt know where you are. Put the pressure on him.

Better luck next time.

Martin Aigner