PDA

View Full Version : A9s UTG: Raises and Gets 3-Bet (1/2)

TomBrooks
09-15-2005, 05:34 AM
Party 1/2 (8 handed)

1st Orbit - no reads whatsoever.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Realized right after I did this I would rather have check-raised. So I turned it into a Stop and Go.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Whiff.

<font color="white">River: (7.25 BB) 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif (2 players)
Hero bets, Button calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB </font>

Vote4Pedro
09-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Why did you lead the flop?

TomBrooks
09-15-2005, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Good question. I realized I would have rather check-raised right after I did it. I should have put that in my OP. I'll fix it now.

aK13
09-15-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Good question. I realized I would have rather check-raised right after I did it. I should have put that in my OP. I'll fix it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

WA/WB?

TomBrooks
09-15-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WA/WB?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably from playing mostly 6max lately, I was not even sweating being behind a better Ace at the time of the flop.

Nick C
09-15-2005, 06:03 AM
I'm responding blind.

On this flop, I think I may like leading better than checkraising. There's a decent chance MP2 doesn't have much of anything anyway, and if that's the case, there's no need to put a lot of pressure on him.

I think checking and calling would be all right, too.

In any event, checking and calling is what I'd do on the turn, once the pot was heads-up.

Vote4Pedro
09-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Does leading really accomplish anything besides exposing our hand? Either we're slowing down a hand we have crushed, or we're getting raised by a hand thats got us drawing thin. This is the second hand in the last few days that involves a WA/WB situation with someone sandwiched inbetween a PF raiser and a 3bettor, the first post didnt generate that much discussion so I'm still kinda iffy.

Nick C
09-15-2005, 06:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does leading really accomplish anything besides exposing our hand? Either we're slowing down a hand we have crushed, or we're getting raised by a hand thats got us drawing thin. This is the second hand in the last few days that involves a WA/WB situation with someone sandwiched inbetween a PF raiser and a 3bettor, the first post didnt generate that much discussion so I'm still kinda iffy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the board is uncoordinated and basically drawless, I suspect checking the flop with the intention of calling is best.

Since MP2 is a poster, the chances are better than they would be if he were a cold-caller that he has a middle pair hand, and that makes me want to put some pressure on him.

But, really, I think that, in all likelihood, he doesn't have anything that's much of a threat to us.

@bsolute_luck
09-15-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WA/WB?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably from playing mostly 6max lately, I was not even sweating being behind a better Ace at the time of the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know you had no reads, but to lead out is because you want to 3-bet. so w/o reads, like you said, check/raise.

lufbradolly
09-15-2005, 06:25 AM
I'd fold preflop

Vote4Pedro
09-15-2005, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7-handed and one of them is a poster. Folding is out of the question. Calling to induce a limp-fest wouldnt be so bad if the table was filled, but against a smaller field with a solid starting hand, you gotta jack it up

TomBrooks
09-15-2005, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling to induce a limp-fest wouldnt be so bad if the table was filled

[/ QUOTE ]
As a side note, I don't ever expect any limp-festing at 1/2, even when every seat is taken. I've can't recall ever seeing a Party 1/2 table with a lot of limpers. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I've played on perhaps 80 of them.

Vote4Pedro
09-15-2005, 06:49 AM
Interesting...I played ~10k hands @ 1/2 9max earlier this summer and found nothing but juicey games with bad limps and even worse cold-calls. Are you playing 1/2 fulltable or 9max? The 9max kinda played like a pseudo-6max game w/ less aggression.

TomBrooks
09-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi Pedro,
I've only been playing the 10 hand. I'll try the 9 hand, it sounds better. Maybe it's attracting a different kind of player. Cheers, Tom

09-15-2005, 06:58 AM
I personally think this is textbook WA/WB. I like preflop.

lufbradolly
09-15-2005, 07:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7-handed and one of them is a poster. Folding is out of the question. Calling to induce a limp-fest wouldnt be so bad if the table was filled, but against a smaller field with a solid starting hand, you gotta jack it up

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok i understand what your saying and your right thinking about it folding is out of the question. But if you raise nearly every hand that 3 bets us is dominating A9s (AA-99 maybe 88, AK, AQ maybe AJs and KQs which were a slight fave over).

I just don't understand why its a raise when were out of position.

Just like to hear your thoughts because i wouldn't raise here, but there a SLIGHT chance i play to tight.

Vote4Pedro
09-15-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But if you raise nearly every hand that 3 bets us is dominating A9s

[/ QUOTE ]

You could say the same thing for AJs/o, ATs, as well as KQs/o; All of which are considered standard UTG raises...

MATT111
09-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Check-calling is good as it may induce pps to continue bluffing. Bet the river though.