PDA

View Full Version : BB defense in tight table

DavidC
09-15-2005, 05:12 AM
UTG (taa: 300 hands, 20/10) raises. It's folded to you in the BB.

Can I defend with a hand like 87o?

09-15-2005, 05:16 AM
No. His range of hands from UTG has you crushed. When dealing with a UTG or EP raise from a tight player you should not be thinking in terms of blind defense.

EDIT: A call here would be a pretty monstrous mistake I think. Best case, you basically fold any flop that you don't hit two pair, trips, or and OESD. Even OESD is probably brake even at best. Which is like 90% of the time. Probably at least a .25 BB loss I think as you will make some back when you do happen to hit. Worst case is you hit a piece of the flop, try to push him off AK, and get owned by AA or KK.

thesharpie
09-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Uh, no.

TomBrooks
09-15-2005, 05:18 AM
I agree with those who said no.

DavidC
09-15-2005, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with those who said no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys.

I mouse-error-raised 55 UTG, then got beaten by some douche taa who defended with 87o. It really bothered me, but made me curious at the same time.

crunchy1
09-15-2005, 08:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I mouse-error-raised 55 UTG, then got beaten by some douche taa who defended with 87o. It really bothered me, but made me curious at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should consider the possibility that he doesn't respect your range from an UTG raise. You would've got different responses to your OP had you asked about defending your blind against a LAGs UTG raise. You should consider how your opponent on this hand viewed your play/image.

I'd be interested to see the entire hand if you've got the history.

09-15-2005, 08:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You would've got different responses to your OP had you asked about defending your blind against a LAGs UTG raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think my advice changes unless you change "TAA" to "to super LAG maniac donk" and I'm guessing that doesn't fit the way DavidC plays. We're talking about 78o here.

speirs
09-15-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should consider how your opponent on this hand viewed your play/image.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. Also, what kind of player was the BB?

crunchy1
09-15-2005, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You would've got different responses to your OP had you asked about defending your blind against a LAGs UTG raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think my advice changes unless you change "TAA" to "to super LAG maniac donk" and I'm guessing that doesn't fit the way DavidC plays. We're talking about 78o here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Note that I only inserted the player type "LAG" as an example. There are plenty more reasons that the Villian BB might have completed that aren't based on statistics or a player rating.

Perhaps the TAA Villian has seen David fold too much. Perhaps he feels that David pays off too much with marginal holdings. There are a number of reasons why a TAA Villian might call this raise from the BB.

Let's not forget that our Villian is getting 3.5-to-1 on his PF call. It's not a great situation - but, if for some reason our Villian feels he can outplay David post-flop - I don't really think it's a horrible call.

09-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Let's try to "outplay" an UTG raiser OOP with 87o. I think that's horrible, if that was his plan. Most likely he just made a loose/bad call.

crunchy1
09-15-2005, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's try to "outplay" an UTG raiser OOP with 87o. I think that's horrible, if that was his plan. Most likely he just made a loose/bad call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly but, my point is... In the OP David asked a question and put Villian's stats in place of his own. He's asking the question as if HE should/shouldn't be calling 78o in the BB. His question should've been phrased to use his stats as the UTG raiser.

I'm not trying to justify this guy's call - I could care less. I do, however, think we need to take into consideration is that he may have reads/factors about David's play that lead him to make this call. This situation David presented in the OP is pretty cut/dry. The decision as it appeared to Villian during this particular hand may not have been so clear.

I'm not prepared to agree that this Villian is a "douche" until I see how the rest of the hand played out.

09-15-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not prepared to agree that this Villian is a "douche" until I see how the rest of the hand played out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.

DavidC
09-15-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You should consider the possibility that he doesn't respect your range from an UTG raise. You would've got different responses to your OP had you asked about defending your blind against a LAGs UTG raise. You should consider how your opponent on this hand viewed your play/image.

[/ QUOTE ]

He spiked an 8 on the flop, check-called, then check-raised the turn when he hit trips. And yes, I called him down with 55.

Scary thing is, I'm not sure what kind of image that would require for him to make that kind of play... I mean, even if I was a LAG, would he be correct to defend here. The only thing that I can consider is that he might think that I'm weak-tight. If so... then I guess he could theoretically defend with any two cards, although it might be best to re-raise in order to build the pot up to something where his bluffs could be less costly if they were wrong.

I don't know man.

It was a weird hand.

I took a note on the guy, and I'm going to tear him to bits if I ever see him again. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidC
09-15-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should consider how your opponent on this hand viewed your play/image.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. Also, what kind of player was the BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

The BB was TAA... I used my stats for the UTG raiser, not his... I.e. I'm about 20/10 right now.