PDA

View Full Version : MRE - Beef Stew

whiskeytown
09-15-2005, 05:02 AM
So a friend of mine brought in a box of MRE's today - he uses them for hunting - He sent a couple boxes down

I snagged one - it's beef stew - I can't cook it now (it comes with it's own pouch/heater, but it stinks - gotta do it at home on the balcony) -

anyone ever had some of these? - I've heard they're miles above old army rations - totally self sufficent - I tried a bit of the chicken from one that a friend cooked, and that was good.

RB

jokerthief
09-15-2005, 05:04 AM
Yeah, I bought some when I was backpacking in CO. Not bad but not much food either. I was still hungry after I ate one.

w_alloy
09-15-2005, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I bought some when I was backpacking in CO. Not bad but not much food either. I was still hungry after I ate one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a very similiar experience.

whiskeytown
09-15-2005, 05:55 AM
they appear high cal. but not a lot of food...

RB

MrTrik
09-15-2005, 07:26 AM
Where do you get MREs? Army surplus like places?

vulturesrow
09-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Whiskey,

The beef stew is one of the better ones. Stay away from the omelette one at all costs. They contain enough calories for an entire day in spite of the relatively low volume of food in the pouch.

whiskeytown
09-15-2005, 09:32 AM
the guy who brought them in said the beef stew looks real bad but it tastes real good - /images/graemlins/grin.gif - it's deceptive in it's appearance...

yah...those are what you wanna take when you're on a month long sabbatical training for a marathon /images/graemlins/grin.gif - lots of calories....

ChipWrecked
09-15-2005, 09:47 AM
I was told by a buddy who was in the Army a few years back that MRE stood for 'Meals Refused by Ethiopians'.

Shajen
09-15-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was told by a buddy who was in the Army a few years back that MRE stood for 'Meals Refused by Ethiopians'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meal refuses to exit is more accurate.

They have roughly 3000 calories.

I've eaten roughly a ton of them in my life. They came out with a new style about 5 years ago, with crap like Riggatoni, stuff like that.

The beef stew one is one of the better ones, but the reigning champ is still and always will be the escaloped potatoes and ham.

You mix everything together, add the tabasco and heat. It's good.

vulturesrow
09-15-2005, 10:07 AM
I think the new ones actually include a vegetarian option and there are some 'ethnic' ones too, e.g. Kosher and halal (Islamic). Escalloped potatos is a good one, chicken a la king is also a good one.

daveymck
09-15-2005, 10:12 AM
The Uk has sent 500,000 similar packs over for New Orleans, army rations has 4,000 calories and is meant to be relatively nice but not sure what you guys would make of hot pot and riced pudding thats in it, there are vegatarian and ethnic options in those as well which logistacally getting to people in the field must be a nightmare.

Shajen
09-15-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
chicken a la king is also a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, my second favorite, chicken a la king. People can't appreciate the beauty that is an MRE dump until they've eaten them for 5 weeks straight 3 meals a day.

that cheese man, wow. It's a log jam waiting to be spread on a cracker.

09-15-2005, 10:32 AM
The vegetarian meals are easily the best ones.

Check out some of the writing on the inner cardboard packaging. I think the Grilled Beefsteak main meal says something along the lines of "meat chunked and formed with grill marks." It tastes like dog food.

Everyone says MRE's taste OK, but try eating them for six months straight.

Shajen
09-15-2005, 10:41 AM
<i>
Everyone says MRE's taste OK, but try eating them for six months straight.</i>

I have. I still like a couple of them.

What kind of meals are the vegetarian? Like stews and stuff minus meat or what?

09-15-2005, 10:53 AM
The vegetarian meals I can remember are Cheese Tortellini and Black Bean Burrito. There are other pasta main meals. Every box of twelve MRE's comes with three or four veggie meals.

The burrito is easy to eat on the move and is not bad cold. Also, some of the cheese packets are now Cheese with Jalapenos. This is good stuff for an MRE.

Shajen
09-15-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The vegetarian meals I can remember are Cheese Tortellini and Black Bean Burrito. There are other pasta main meals. Every box of twelve MRE's comes with three or four veggie meals.

The burrito is easy to eat on the move and is not bad cold. Also, some of the cheese packets are now Cheese with Jalapenos. This is good stuff for an MRE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Figures, I get out and they up the ante on the meals. That burrito sounds pretty decent.

vulturesrow
09-15-2005, 11:17 AM
I have to disagree. The burrito tastes like pure ass (dont ask how I know what pure ass tastes like).

MonkeeMan
09-15-2005, 12:23 PM
All this sounds superior to Ham and MFer's.

09-15-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree. The burrito tastes like pure ass (dont ask how I know what pure ass tastes like).

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. I'll trade you the hamburger main meal for the burrito any time. I'll even throw in the sh*tbrick(fudge brownie).

As much as I dislike MRE's, they're not bad to have around for emergency situations like Katrina in NO.