PDA

View Full Version : Looting morality question

slickpoppa
09-15-2005, 03:22 AM
So you are in Walmart after Katrina and everyone around you is looting like crazy. You realize that there is about a 99.999% chance that the entire walmart is eventually going to be completely cleaned out. You also realize that most of the other people stealing stuff are complete lowlifes.

So can anyone give me a non-Kantian for why you shouldn't loot? I mean, all the sh1t is gonna get taken anyway. It might as well go to a good person such as yourself. Right?

Colonel Kataffy
09-15-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It might as well go to a good person such as yourself. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet youre not the only person in walmart that is justifying their looting on the same grounds.

slickpoppa
09-15-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It might as well go to a good person such as yourself. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet youre not the only person in walmart that is justifying their looting on the same grounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's irrelevant

Georgia Avenue
09-15-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So can anyone give me a non-Kantian for why you shouldn't loot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Only possible defense is Kantian or semi-Kantian.

As the other responder pointed out, there's no need to qualify the hypothetical with the other looters being scummy, UNLESS there is a way for you to trade the loot looted for goods and services that would help others...Steal a tv and trade it to a temporary warlord for bottles of water that you distribute, but I'm assuming that you want to avoid tricky answers like this.

Again, the only reason not to do it is because it is Wrong.

Warik
09-15-2005, 11:13 AM
I don't post much on this forum, but this topic caught my attention as I was scrolling through the list. I did study a little Kant in Intro to Philosophy in college which was a few years ago, so apologies in advance for any omissions or misapplications.

With that in mind, why are we trying to justify this?

Can anyone on this forum, or in this world even, claim to have absolutely never done any wrong in their life, or deny the possibility of them doing wrong again?

If you take something from Walmart without paying for it, even if everyone else is doing it, you are stealing. It's wrong - plain and simple. It's comparable to stuffing a bottle of water into your pant leg and trying to sneak out of the store. Does the fact that nobody is going to stop you make it right?

Essentially I'm arguing that the circumstances in this particular case do not change the wrongness of what's being done.

That being said, if you take something from a Walmart after a natural disaster without paying for it, you've stolen. Stealing is wrong. You have done something wrong.

However... what's the alternative? Putting my life and risk and that of my family for the sake of morality? No. I won't do it. I'll take the essentials that I need, knowing the whole time that what I'm doing is wrong. I'll accept that and I'll do it again tomorrow if the need arises.

Let's stop deluding ourselves into justifying things simply because we don't want to accept the fact that we have done wrong, can still do wrong, and will do wrong again.

RJT
09-15-2005, 11:20 AM
I don’t really see the big deal either (other than high ticket items like jewelry). The stores will not be able to resale any (most?) of these items anyway, because of the contamination factor.

The energies spent on trying to stop this seems to me a waste.

09-15-2005, 09:28 PM
It all depends on what you're comfortable with, but for me it depends on if I need the items for survival or not.
Taking food is alot different than taking a TV.
Shooby

09-15-2005, 10:26 PM
When you say 'non-kantian' are you referring to his paraphrasing of the golden rule 'act only in a way that would be ok if everyone acted in that way' (rough quote, general idea).

Because if so, you can justify it with stealing from the Walmart prevents more damage than it causes (utilitarian morality) and thus is good. Or was Kant a utilitarian philosopher?

Peter666
09-16-2005, 04:07 AM
It's not wrong to take the things because you know for certain that the Walmart will be cleaned out or destroyed anyway. However, if Walmart comes back to you in the future and asks you to pay for your items, you are obligated to do so. Hopefully they won't.

You are not to blame in this matter. Get me a TV.

tshort
09-16-2005, 05:42 AM
I don't think the OP was refering to essentials. I think he is refering to Ipods and Playstations.

Jedi Flopper
09-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Stealing is wrong. Do not try to claim it is right because of circumstances. If you choose to do wrong, at least be an adult about it and accept resposibility for your actions.

"I chose to steal rather than let my family starve"

"I chose to steal because everyone else was doing it"

Both cases are morally wrong, but I have more respect for the first one.

09-17-2005, 04:33 AM
Who wants togo to taCO beLL wooooooooo

Peter666
09-17-2005, 08:28 AM
"I chose to steal rather than let my family starve"

How can this be morally wrong? What is more important, food or people?

The only case where this would be morally wrong is if you are stealing things from another starving family.

mostsmooth
09-17-2005, 09:01 AM
why am i in walmart in the first place??? was i kidnapped??

RJT
09-17-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why am i in walmart in the first place??? was i kidnapped??

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic, mostsmooth. You do your screen name justice, very smooth. I'll be laughing all day, now.