PDA

View Full Version : kyro's laws of lines

kyro
09-14-2005, 11:59 PM
If there are x people in Line 1 and x+1 people in Line 2, the next person to arrive with either line to choose will choose Line 2 with 90% probability.

Just another phenomenon I have witnessed at the supermarket. People are stupid.

PoBoy321
09-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Well, if I'm at the supermarket and see line A with one person with a ton of stuff, or line B with 2 people who have just a few things, I usually go with line B.

morgan180
09-15-2005, 12:08 AM
its far more complicated than this - many factors go in to this decision:

1. total items for all people in line
2. visual competency rating of cashier
3. visual competency rating of people in line
4. degree of difficulty of items of shoppers in line(especially at a place like home depot where there could be no PLUs etc on items)
5. degree of difficulty of shoppers to complete transaction (crying babies, check books out, etc.)
6. whether a bagger is present (speed issue)
7. whether the light is flashing above the cashier's head
8. any training going on
9. anyone with coupons

so you can't sell the process short - although i agree with your original thoughts - people are idiots.

kyro
09-15-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if I'm at the supermarket and see line A with one person with a ton of stuff, or line B with 2 people who have just a few things, I usually go with line B.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am definitely not talking about this. For instance. I was on the express register today and i had one person in my line and the other express register (very close to mine) had 4 people. FOUR. and they were all staring at me awkwardly as if they weren't sure if i was open.

jba
09-15-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If there are x people in Line 1 and x+1 people in Line 2, the next person to arrive with either line to choose will choose Line 2 with 90% probability.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are absolutely correct - I noticed this just today at the office cafeteria. note that office cafeteria observations disprove the other poster's "less items at the grocery store" hypothesis, as everyone was just buying lunch.

Warik
09-15-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its far more complicated than this - many factors go in to this decision:

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot 10. Whether either line will position you behind a hot chick... preferably two who can't wait to get outside and talk about the hot guy who was standing behind them (this is why you want to choose this line. so you can be that guy).

09-15-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're me. I always pick line 1...and then just before it's my turn some crotchity (sp?) old hag decides to count out her whole order in pennies, or some douche bag decides to pay with for his Marlboros with food stamps which of course leads to a blinking light above the damn cashiers head.