PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick stud basic strategy

tonypaladino
09-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Can someone recommend a website, post, or book that will give me the very basics of 7-stud?

I am going to be staked in a large home game that will be a mix of hold'em and stud, and I just need to know enough (for now) to make it through the stud hands without losing the money I'll (hopefully) make at hold'em

Should I just play uber-tight?

Thanks
TONY

Andy B
09-14-2005, 10:43 PM
There are some quick pointers in the FAQ.

If you're going to be playing for substantial stakes, especially with another guy's money, you really should read 7CS4AP between now and game day. Uber-tight isn't going to cut it, especially if the game has a high ante structure.

peritonlogon
09-14-2005, 10:44 PM
The thread titled "Need help pluggin leaks in my stud game" is a good start for opening strategy.

I assume limit? If it's PL you need to make some serious ajustments and NL, well, good luck.

tonypaladino
09-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Alright, thanks guys, I'll check those threads. I might get the book, but from what I understand the game is like 70% HE 25% stud, 5% random (razz, guts, draw) so it might not be worth it. I'll inquire about the ante's, if they are very low compared to the limits, tight play might be ok, right?

It's all Limit play

Andy B
09-14-2005, 11:39 PM
If 25% of the hands are stud, that's more than enough for you to get killed if they know what they're doing and you don't.

You said this was a big game. 7CS4AP costs something like $30. What is that, the big bet? The small bet? The ante? Even if this is the only time you ever play in this game (and if you go in unprepared, it just might be), I can't imagine that it isn't worth your while to pick this book up.

BTirish
09-15-2005, 04:05 AM
I have on several occasions thought of my stud bankroll in terms of multiples of the cost of 7CSFAP. The book has paid for itself many, many, many times.

tonypaladino
09-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Aight, I'm gonna buy the book tomorrow.

Thanks guys

FWIW 25/50 limit

Andy B
09-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Great. Read it twice, and you'll thank me later.

Andy B
09-15-2005, 09:55 AM
By the way, I'll guess that a $25/50 game would have a $5 ante, which is fairly high. Anything higher would be somewhat ridiculous. $4 would be a medium ante, and $3 would be on the low side. That's a very unusual limit for stud, usually found only in some tournaments. By way of comparison, the usual ante for $20/40 is $3 ($2 on Party, which is definitely too low) and the usual ante for $30/60 is $5. These are in the medium-to-high range.