PDA

View Full Version : A week as a micro pretend poker professional?

britspin
09-14-2005, 09:36 PM
(If this is an oft covered topic that my searches have missed- please do me a favour and post link with the appropriate STFU, NooB remark)

In a couple of weeks time, I'm going to take a week off work. I thought I could profitably use the time by pretending to be one of these big time poker pro's you read so much about.

So I'm planning to spend a week playing poker full time. My current plan is to 2 table $1/2 for 8 hours a day (though If things go specatacularly well and I make the bankroll, might try a little $2/4).

This is a big test of stamina for me, as previous long session have been of the weekend poker bender variety.

What advice do people have about best mental and physical approach to this kind of short term grind? breaks, exercise, mental stimulation other than poker, study, being sociable, target setting... I'm a little concerned I could easily spend a week totally cut off from the world!

Also- I'm based in the UK- is it worth me adapting to a different schedule to play when americans are drunk/tired?

basically, I want to adopt the mental attitude of a pro, in the deluded hope that eventually my ability will catch up....

09-14-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(Also- I'm based in the UK- is it worth me adapting to a different schedule to play when americans are drunk/tired?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

DavidC
09-14-2005, 10:08 PM
A couple things:

1) Don't expect to win. You're only playing a week of two-tabling, which isn't a huge sample.

2) Yes it pays to play when the majority of players (americans) are drunk/tired. Prime-Time seems to be from about 6p eastern to about 4am eastern during the week and about 5p-6a during the weekends. Yes, this can easily cut you off from the world. May I suggest flying to California for the week so that you can do stuff during the days? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If your computer generates any sort of heat, you'll want to bring drinks to the computer.

Go to the washroom before starting your session.

Don't play while tired. Don't play just after you've woken up.

You'll want a comfy chair and a decent mouse/pad. Having something to rest your fee on so that your knees are slightly elevated seems comfortable also.

Keep the monitor as far from your face as possible.

Other than that, working out is a good way to stay alert, and it's important to go for a few walks durign the day.

Staying social is a costly but necessary thing to do (and it's fun).

I don't know, that's all I can think of for now. Good luck.

bozlax
09-14-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your computer generates any sort of heat, you'll want to bring drinks to the computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the eff do you play, Dave, in the Cray room down at the Pentagon?

And, bring a drink to the computer regardless. Might I recommend a spill proof cup, like a travel coffee cup? A kid's sippy cup works well, too.

DavidC
09-14-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And, bring a drink to the computer regardless. Might I recommend a spill proof cup, like a travel coffee cup? A kid's sippy cup works well, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Christ, Boz, you're always giving me a hard time these days. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't have great ventilation or anything like that, and I have a floor lamp with a halogen bulb that's very hot, and the computer gets cooking a bit too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I play in a sauna, basically.

Dude, the idea of playing like $50/$100 holdem with a kid's sippy cup next to you is just too damn funny! Online, it's funny enough, but live, the guy next to you could ask, "Hey, do you mind if I have a sip of your apple juice?"

Edit: You playing the HU league in October? If so, it's grudge-match time! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KingOtter
09-14-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking more like, 'move your water cooler to next to your desk'. Maybe a cooler full of ice.

This is an interesting thing to do, though. I'm seriously tempted to try it. I'd wake up, but the kids to bed, then play all night. Woo!

KO

britspin
09-14-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A couple things:

1) Don't expect to win....

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute, you're saying it's possible to beat this game? Whoa there soldier.

Seriously- thanks Great advice, really appreciated. I want a sipy cup too. Only if it has a kids cartoon character on it. daffy duck for preference.